Your expectations for this game

Discussion in 'No Man's Sky' started by GlacialDoom, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Summertime

Summertime Member
    Regular

When you say procedurally generated, do you mean a universe that changes as you make decisions in the story, or is it just random, as a I heard?

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  2. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've been waiting for this now for a while. I am excited and sincerely hope it doesn't get ruined like so many other games nowadays. My expectations for this isn't too high though. Seems as though the market has already been infiltrated by the Survival genre already. I am indeed curious to see if this will make the cut for longer than the others have.

From reading about the game and what I've seen, there is HUGE potential for it. Here's to hoping when they mention procedural generated it isn't exactly a bad thing.

StillWinning likes this.
  3. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm also really hoping this is made well. When I first saw the trailer drop, I was so impressed by the concept, and I've been following the little tidbits of information as they've been released ever since. I -do- have higher expectations, but only because it seems like nobody would set out to make this game and do it less justice than the concept deserves

4. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sorry for this late of a post. :oops:

No, it's not a responsive universe, in that it doesn't change as you make your decisions. Rather, procedurally generated universe here means a universe that creates and expands itself as you go on exploring, using complex mathematical formulas and equations to create new galaxies, star systems, planets, and life in those planets. It's the ultimate exploration-adventure game, if you will.

5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

But where is the artwork going to come from? Proceduraly generated geography is one thing, but there is no way to proceduraly generate plants, animals and civilizations. The worlds are just going to be covered with colored versions of stuff you have already seen before. You are never going to see anything unique.

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't know. Based on how much their pushing the procedural generated thing I don't think it's ONLY the colors that are going to change. I've heard that even the sounds the alien race emit are procedurally generated.
    There is also the thing where actually finding life on the planets you visit is actually rare, because actually inhabited planets are but a small percentage in the entire universe. So even if they change very little it's going to be surprising to actually find life on a planet. :p

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

You cannot procedural generate creature models with animations. The only thing they will be able to change is the size, proportions and color.

Yes, you can procedurally generate sounds. For instance, ever hear the chipmunks sing? or how about Darth Vaders voice. I have a program on my computer that takes a sound file of my voice, and can instantly change it into 10 male voices and 10 female voices.

so really, you think it will be fun to ´explore´ randomly generated planets that contain no life, just so maybe you might find life somewhere? It is just a tedius time waster.. and then what? there is very little else we know about what you can do once you explore those 99 empty planets.

Save yourself some money.. buy Spore for $5 and try it.. you will quickly see how boring it becomes.

8. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, what they're using to 'procedurally generate' almost everything is a couple of superformulae. These formulae can generate a massive variety of shapes and sizes with varying of some pre-defined parameters. That's how a planet may not have any life at all, or one may be completely populated with all kinds and varieties of flora and fauna. They're using the same to generate colours, sounds (not ambient ones), and even the shape and size of the galaxies or planets in the universe they're creating.

Bottom line, never underestimate the power of maths!:cool:

9. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's really impressive with the constant generation of new creatures and planets. The fact that the possibilities are endless is a really unique featured added to the game. I really cannot wait for the game to release because it'll be one of the best games.

10. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have huge expectations for it, for sure. If they can pull off everything that they promised, I think this game will give even Star Citizen a run for it`s money (If it ever releases) :D

11. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, the concept of the game is exactly what excites me. It's unique and impressive and I bet the game would be very interesting. That's my expectation.

12. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

Wait, why can creatures not be procedural generated? Wouldn't you just need a database of motion that works and then algorithms to change them? Or do you just mean that you can't spontaneously make locomotion through tech, that would make sense yeah