Would you consider TESO canon?

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online' started by UnslaadKrosis, Mar 24, 2016.

1. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

People have varying opinions of The Elder Scrolls Online. But one thing almost everybody agrees on, is that it fails, often grandly, when it comes to delivering the thrill and awesomeness that the other Elder Scrolls games have given the fans over the years. So much so, that some fans are even considering the entire storyline to be consdered completely non-canon. (Seeing how it's created and managed by Zenimax Media, the umbrella company of Bethesda softworks that has had almost nothing to do with the whole TES franchise until the MMO).

So what about you? Do you consider TESO canon or non-canon? If so, why?

2. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think TESO could be considered canon, seeing as how the storyline is set a thousand years before traditional TES games. Even the books in other Elder Scrolls games only vaguely talk about the timeline of TESO, so why not? The devs could and did go crazy on the storyline.

3. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Even if I don't care much for the game itself, I see little problem with adding this game to the canon. Hell, The Warp in the West did a good job at giving the timeline the middle finger with having all the endings to Daggerfall somehow happen at the same time. I'm just waiting until they make the next game where I can kick the Dominion's backside and become Empress.

4. dblanch

dblanch Member
    Regular

I don't see any reason why the game shouldn't be considered canon. I think Bethesda gives careful consideration to this kind of thing no matter what project their working on, so I'm sure they had canon in mind when they were developing the missions, storylines and such.

5. userbutnotloser

userbutnotloser Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, it is a canon because I searched a lot and I got that they work closely with each other and especially with Bethesda to ensure that all lore in ESO is historically accurate and appropriate.
    Thus according to me it's a canon.

6. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, the funny part is that contrary to popular belief, the game is not developed by Bethesda in any part, rather it has been created by Zenimax Media Online, the parent company of Bethesda Softworks and who own the TES IP. And Zenimax studios had nothing to do with any of the TES games so far, which has led to this discussion of the game being canon or not in the first place. For actual arguments against it being canon, I suggest just googling or searching on Youtube.

7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't think it counts, as none of the workers from the other games of the series actually worked on this one. It's basically just a game to stall the hunger of fans waiting for Elder Scrolls 6. So they made this online game that is bare-bones what the Elder Scrolls series represented. I don't know why, maybe to stall to complete the game more? But one thing is clear, ESO is nowhere NEAR good enough to be considered the next sequel after Skyrim.

8. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that was the entire point of why they picked that point in time to have TESO, because they, the devs, would not have to spend a ton of time going back and forth with the lore historians to double-check the accuracy of every little story detail. Pick a point in time where nothing has really been described, and you just need to worry about some big overarching events that are coming and make sure nothing in the game breaks those events.

SWTOR was the opposite, even though the used a point in time not completely explored in stories, there was so much overlap that the quest writers were constantly wasting time verifying stuff with the IP.

9. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Yes. Close enough for me. Even though we don't decide what is canon as players. I know some of us are big know it all geeks that forget that sometimes. At any rate, it was set in a time period without a bunch of prior history to check against.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is amazing to me how personal some people take lore, that many times is obviously created on the spot without any real thought. I post regularly on a forum about GoT, mainly from a tv show perspective, but there are a few posters there who are so outrageously protective of every word of the books that they rant and rage, even when the author himself goes against them.

11. xyrene

xyrene Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, I think it is, based from my observation.

12. walter12

walter12 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's relatively close but seems the same to me too

13. xyrene

xyrene Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, I think it's just a matter of perception.

14. Olaf

Olaf Well-Known Member
    Regular

Of course ESO is canon. I think the only reason people might argue otherwise is because of the pre-launch.

15. beastpaw

beastpaw New Member

I think ESO was overhyped and after it's underwhelming release a small part of community which expected it to be something unreal just got disappointed. I believe it's still a good game nevertheless and I continue to play it.

16. Annejk18

Annejk18 Well-Known Member
    Regular

ESO is canon. Considering how crazy the storyline of this game. How they set the game thousand of years, its amazing and amusing. I like it historical.

17. Z-wall

Z-wall Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yup I totally agree.
    You can even make anime or movie based on ESO story

18. aveli

aveli Well-Known Member
    Regular

I consider Eso to be one of the best written lore. I would actually put it up there with Morrowind.

19. Ruse

Ruse Well-Known Member
    Regular

Whoever wrote Morrowind deserves an award or something. That is an amazing storyline.

20. aveli

aveli Well-Known Member
    Regular

Eso is canon, whoever says otherwise is out of their damn mind!