Would you be interested in a single player game built like a MMORPG?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by Azrile, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

What I mean is a single player game with content patches and character development that continues indefinitely... I think it would be cool for some games like Skyrim which have huge worlds to just keep adding new content into those worlds and keep raising the skill levels.

AsiaCS likes this.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would love that! There's no problem with Skyrim since there are so many mods you'll never run out of content, but I agree that sandbox capabilities would be pretty neat.

3. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

If it's a singleplayer then it won't be anymore and MMORPG but just an RPG. By the way games like this already exists as you said: Skyrim and for the new patches you want I guess you're referring to develop DLC. Nothing new but would really love to see a "new" Skyrim with stunning graphics.

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, Skyrim has mods and stuff like that, but usually the feel disconnect and you don´t have the big overall story moving forward like you do in a MMORPG. One of the other threads got me thinking. Many people say they play MMORPGs for socialization and group play, but for me it is more about never having to retire your character.

AsiaCS likes this.
  5. daosasoriza

daosasoriza Member

Nah. I won't be interested in a single player game that's built like an MMORPG. Also, I think what you're thinking about are patches, and that's already happening. Most single player games of today do have patches and mods.

6. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd love to see a Singleplayer game consistently supported like that of an MMO, but I don't think it's a very viable business model, unless they charge for the content updates, in which case it becomes no different than DLC, which is already rampant in the industry.

7. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah that sounds pretty good actually the options are limitless. The thing is internet connection will be needed for these things and interaction might be to a minimum due to the fact it's played single player style.

8. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

Modding allows the community to endlessly build on the game and expand it, isn't this basically what you're asking for?

As for "single player games with mmorpg mechanics", Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was originally supposed to be a MMORPG and it shows.

9. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member
    Regular

Fallout 4 won't have a level cap, if that's what you mean. The weapons will also be customizable, and probably randomly generated to some degree, so there will always be new stuff to find. And mods in modern RPGs will add as much content as you want, some of it being DLC quality.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Guildwars does it already, and they have to pay bandwidth fees. It really would be no different. Something like $50 for the box, and then monthly or bi-monthly updates for about 18 months, and then another boxed expansion for like $30.

I personally hate DLC, the nickle-dime $10 stuff.. because they basically have nothing in them... but a big expansion every 18 months is more like a typical MMORPG where you add a huge chunk of gameplay. And the difference between this and a typical RPG is that your same character would carry through, and the ´old´content would still be available and slightly relevant.

SereneAngel88 and Cereus like this.
  11. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

For this idea to work in most cases you'd see some manner of pos-release monetization. Being either smaller DLC or paid expansions that could realistically sustain a dedicated development team. Depending on in-game monetization like cosmetic purchases, the costs of expansion could be lowered in an attempt to increase sales.

A bigger issue would be player appeal. The game in question will have to bring new and interesting mechanics and story in order to get player interest, and a constant series of innovations on these things in order to keep it long-term.

It could work, but it's tough as heck. There's a reason many over ambitious games fail.

12. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Surely it would be something that keeps the hype on for a while, but I don't see how it would turn out to be in the very long-run. I mean, surely people would be interest to buy and/or invest in the game, but these games usually turn out to be dying trends which don't last more than 2 years...

13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would not really be interested in playing a game that was built like a single-player experience and then plays like an MMO. I always prefer a rock solid story experience over tons of DLCs and add-ons.

14. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I feel you on that. But, I still wouldn't mind a continuously updated single player game if they'd add new storylines. Like for example, if you had a world of Skyrim, and you beat the main quest, but then a year later a new DLC pops out creating a whole new campaign and works it in like a sequel.

AsiaCS likes this.
  15. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would be down on that, but only if the DLC really feels like a true sequel. Most DLC packs nowadays only add little bits to the general story overall.

16. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Even though they're sold as separate games, I feel like GTA: Vice City is pretty much a DLC of GTA III and New Vegas a DLC of Fallout 3. Of course, I'm reaching here, but if there was a game that had great engines in original games like GTA III or Fallout 3, and had massive DLCs for a while like New Vegas or Vice City, that would be a hell of a game to play. I honestly wouldn't mind paying for the DLC.

17. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

They exist already. Dragon Age Inquisition is very similar to a MMORPG, and so is Xenoblade Chronicles for the Nintendo consoles. Huge open world filled with sidequests that are more filler than killer.
    And no, I don't like that. :p

18. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sure, why not. Although, as some have said, there are already games out there like that on the market.

19. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

If Skyrim had gone the route of GW1 then it would have been a success versus going Elder Scrolls Online. However Skyrim wasn't built to be that way sadly. I honestly would have tons of fun with singleplayer games that have MMO capabilities as well.

20. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm on the fence with this one. While it would be cool to constantly receive new updates to my game like content, I would also worry about bugs that might show up during these updates and have it wreck the game so I would have to constantly have patches downloaded. Plus, I'm pretty sure that I would have to pay some kind of fee for all of these updates, and I refuse to do that, especially if I paid a good sum for the base game. I want a nice complete game over an incomplete game that companies will just add more parts to in order to keep it alive while charging you for it (not like they are doing that already...)