World of Warcraft: The First Movie.

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by Shine_Spirit, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

Did you like the movie / adaptation they did for the theaters?

Despite some good times here and there, I definitely didn't like the movie in general. It was well below what I was expecting and unfortunately, I don't believe there will be a sequel. :(

2. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

I waited so many years for that movie to come out that I don't think they ever could have made it good enough to live up to all that hype. I liked it okay, but it really wasn't what I expected. I think they did make it in a way that it could still be appealing to people who had never played the game, which was probably smart.

I think they left it open to a sequel, but I kind of doubt that one will materialize. I think they spent a lot of time, money, and resources on this movie, but it wasn't as well-received as they expected it to be.

Shine_Spirit likes this.
  3. Shine_Spirit

Regular

I also waited anxiously for a movie to be made based on the game, but everything went well below expectations for me. I was very disappointed to have watched it in theaters. I still don't understand why such a bad movie. :eek:

4. thisnthat

Regular

Yep, it was what, ten years we kept hearing that there would be a Warcraft movie? It's hard to come up with something grand enough after all that anticipation.

We had planned to see it in the theater. I would have liked to, but something came up that weekend and we couldn't go. It only played for the one week in shows near us.

We ended up finding the Warcraft movie on Redbox and renting it later. I'm kind of glad now, since it only cost us 2 bucks to see it instead of 25.

Shine_Spirit likes this.
  5. Shine_Spirit

Regular

If I knew it would be such a bad movie I would have walked away from the movie theaters. :D

I keep wondering how the writers or the director didn't realize such a bad project (because the mess was pretty obviously :eek:).

6. thisnthat

Regular

What specifically did you dislike?

I didn't think it was terrible, just not as good as I was hoping it would be. I think part of that came from trying to make the Warcraft movie appealing to all audiences.

I figured it wasn't doing as well as expected when I heard they were giving out freebies with ticket purchases. I mean, it did make sense to try to use it as a funnel for getting more people to play World of Warcraft, but I was still surprised that they were giving out free copies of the game.

Shine_Spirit likes this.
  7. Shine_Spirit

Regular

I particularly hated the excess CGI badly finalized, a part of the cast that was below my expectations and the story as an all that could have been much better. :(

Maybe I'm being very picky, but I really looked forward to this movie.

8. thisnthat

Regular

I don't think you're being picky, and if you were, you have a right to be. You waited ages to see it and then spent money to see it.

I was just curious, because a lot of people have said they didn't think it was too good, but I don't really know why they didn't like it. So, I was just wondering what kept you from liking it. :)

I don't know why they decided to mix live action and so much CGI. I think most people expected a movie that looked more like some of the excellent game trailers and stuff they put out.

Shine_Spirit likes this.
  9. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

I was hyped when I saw the trailer but I didn't expect so much from it since it's a game based movie, most of these types of movies aren't done quite well. But it turned out to be a good one compared to other movies that are in the same genre. The only problem that I have is the movie was too short and they piled up the story just to get it done. It wasn't detailed enough and looks like it was rushed.

thisnthat and Shine_Spirit like this.
  10. Shine_Spirit

Regular

Unfortunately (for video games fans), the genre "based on video games" has been skewed for a long time. :(

Producers are no longer concerned about delivering a good movie to the public, it's all about money (and in that case, the quality of the movie is not the deciding factor... given the large number of bad movies that make millions in box office).

11. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

The more that I think about it the more I can get on board. I can just think of a bunch of different ways that it could go, which is more exciting for me.

12. thisnthat

Regular

It's true that a lot of movies based on video games aren't that great. At least, they don't tend to go over all that well sometimes.

In this case, I think they tried to gear it toward more than just the World of Warcraft fandom, so they could try to get the general audience interested as well (and as noted, get more people playing the game).

That may or may not be a good idea. You count on fans showing up, but if you're projecting a much big audience and that doesn't happen, profits might not be where they need to be (at least not enough to consider a sequel).

13. Shine_Spirit

Regular

I also have several different paths that writers could have followed to make an infinitely better movie.

The impression I have is that they didn't bother to at least get to know the game better (they just read some synopsis or something :mad:).

14. Shine_Spirit

Regular

I'm very skeptical for some things, for example: if I have to work on a film adaptation, I have to follow exactly what I must adapt.

I don't want to say that I would not be open to creating new paths, but the essence must come from the original material.

Reaching a large amount of public is a purely financial interest. :(

15. Working Buck

Regular

I totally agree with this. The movie industry keeps on releasing bad game based films, I mean they do make comic book based ones which are good like The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, how come they can't make a game based movie with the same level and not just hyping fans?

16. Shine_Spirit

Regular

The producers want to produce adaptations for an audience that often have no idea what they are going to watch. That is the big problem, to distort the original material / source in favor of a large audience that won't care about it.

These movies should be made especially for fans (or at least that most of the movie was faithful to the original material / source).

17. Working Buck

Regular

I do agree, the same thing happens to book based films, some part of the book are being changed to make the story better for the majority of the audience who doesn't give a f*** about the book. what's wrong with keeping the content of the film close to the content of the book or game right?

Shine_Spirit likes this.
  18. Shine_Spirit

Regular

I really can't understand what is the complication / problem in following the line of a story that already exists. It's pretty simple... But unfortunately money always speaks louder. :(

19. Working Buck

Regular

I mean, it would still sell even if they won't change it since most of the people who will watch it hasn't really played the game or read the book so I really find it stupid if they alter some stuff in the story. I mean it would still sell right?

20. clair02

clair02 Active Member
    Regular

That is always the problem when they build something up so much and there is so much hype around it, by the time it actually gets here, everyone expects so much more than those people could actually ever deliver and so all the audience is left disappointed. That's exactly what's happened here. The real fans of the game are the ones who got disappointed.