Wolfenstein: The New Order

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by NuclearWastE3, Apr 2, 2014.

1. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Who doesn't love fighting high-tech Nazis then stealing their high-tech weaponry to use against their high-tech armor and robots? :D Wolfenstein: The New Order does exactly that in the year 1960:
    I've only played through the last two -Return To Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein- and tried out the original Wolfenstein 3D's demo at school to kill some time. I recommend them. Here is some cover art for the game, which is suppose to be realease May 20 in North America, May 22 in Australia and May 23 in Europe.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also think that the new facial build of Blazkowicz looks a bit like Kurt Russell's from the movie Soldier (sorry for the small pics, it was the best I could find):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So, anyone else excited for the release of Wolfenstien: The New Order?

2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I remember the last game in the series being decent-mediocre. I'll likely be reading reviews of it when it comes out, but the series hasn't done enough in the recent past to earn a spot on my list.

3. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Isnt this the one with the ACTUAL moon nazies?

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

From the trailers of the game, I find what they're trying to do with the story quite interesting. We'll see how it turns out. :)

5. NuclearWastE3

Regular

The ending was the only thing that sucked for me.

They appear in the trailer, just like Bamul mentioned. Who knows if the moon Nazis will actually play a role in the game.There's also a movie called Iron Sky that it is about moon Nazis who attack Earth.

[YOUTUBE]?v=BlvfqfGTar4[/YOUTUBE]

Iron Sky
    [YOUTUBE]?v=Py_IndUbcxc[/YOUTUBE]

There's another trailer of Iron Sky where it shows an astronaut on the moon saluting the Nazi flag, just like in the Wolfenstein trailer. Iron Sky came out in 2012, though; so who ever made the Wolf-trailer ripped the idea off from there.

#5 NuclearWastE3, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  6. Skaara Dreadlocks

No offense intended, but that looks friggen ridiculous! :lol:

7. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

ALL HAIL THE SPACE NAZIES sIEG hIEL O_O/

8. NuclearWastE3

Regular

None taken, but what are you talking about? Wolfenstein or Iron Sky.

//:#Q "HAIL ZA SPACE NAZIES!"

9. m1shooter2

m1shooter2 Well-Known Member

So guys, I have a question.
    Is BJ dead? Or is it a cliffhanger?

10. It's an intentionally ambiguous ending that both offers a conclusion to his story if the game turns out to be a massive flop and a cliffhanger if the game actually sells well

11. m1shooter2

m1shooter2 Well-Known Member

Good, so BJ is not kill. I don't want to wait 5 years for the conclusion though.

12. Wait for DLC.

13. Skaara Dreadlocks

Iron Sky :p

The game actually looks pretty fancy. Like Bamul said, I also like how they're doing it story-wise, and I'm interested to see how that turns out.

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Since my brother played many of the previous games from the Wolfenstein series, he ended up getting Wolfenstein: The New Order. When he started playing the game, I watched him blast through the first level. I got so hooked into it that I stayed and watched more. The story was surprisingly engrossing, so I ended up pretty much watching his playthrough of the game whenever he sat down to play it. Without spoiling anything specific or any plot details, here are my impressions of the game – you may treat this as an off-hands review:

Starting with the most obvious thing, I want to say that the graphics are beautiful. Technologically they aren’t quite as heavy as that of the Metro series, but they are not far behind (requiring a powerful rig for ultra) and the stunning art direction makes the visuals spectacular. The environments in the game are varied and interesting, but something that I want to highlight are the faces of characters’… especially their eyes. I don’t believe I’ve seen any other game do eyes as beautifully as The New Order. Also, there is a key Polish character in the game and even her facial features look Polish.

A lot of detail was put into making this game, but it is not perfect. The New Order generally makes good use of the technological prowess of the PC platform and it is certainly not just a console port, but it’s not optimized equally for all systems. You may get stutters or unusual performance hits even when played on a good machine. Some of these can be fixed fairly quickly by looking for a simple solution online and playing around a bit in the game’s files, others require lowering some of the graphical settings. Nevertheless, this new Wolfenstein is certainly playable.

The developers have also put much care into the setting of Wolfenstein. This is probably one of the most well-made alternate history worlds I’ve ever seen and the game is absolutely fantastic in making such a ridiculous idea seem authentic and somewhat believable – not due to the silly science-fiction technology, but due to the way how everything is designed (visually and aurally). It really does feel like a world ruled by Nazis, rather than being just a dull backdrop or an excuse to kill humans without remorse.

Moreover, contextually The New Order touches on controversial topics that almost no other games have even attempted to tackle before (different types of civilian resistance against the Third Reich, Nazi ideology imposed on the lives of ordinary people, extensive Germanization and censorship, fate of disabled people under a Nazi regime, labour/concentration/death camps, unethical research on prisoners, even treatment of children and many other issues). The New Order also doesn’t dehumanize Germans as a people unlike most war shooters, not only showing German resistance but also portraying many of the grass roots Nazis as human beings.

To put things bluntly: the game rips the head off of Nazism and shits down the throat of this sick ideology (but it does so astonishingly smartly and without trivializing the horrible experiences that victims of the Second World War had to go through as much as most other games would). Meantime, it doesn’t forget about its roots and still involves plenty of Nazi-killing. Who would have thought it that after so many war shooters and WWII games in general, a Wolfenstein title would be the one to start discussing these issues and making statements about them through its content?

In terms of gameplay, The New Order is definitely not innovative. I see a lot of inspiration from Metro: Last Light (gameplay and even in some cases level design), and some similarities to the BioShock games as well as Half-Life 2. However, it’s certainly not a carbon copy of any of those three. There are enough differences, enough original input and a Wolfenstein twist to the whole thing that The New Order feels unique enough. Besides, it draws its inspiration from obviously outstanding sources. The music and sound effects are equally excellent.

What comes as the biggest surprise however is the developed story of Wolfenstein: The New Order. The plot itself is overall engrossing and makes you want to see it through until the end (some collectibles add good bits of background content as well). Above all, the game’s characters are marvellous. It is hard not to get attached to these personas and each of them is backed up with a great performance. There are many captivating supporting characters, but the Polish-American lead Blazkowicz is not only more developed than he was in previous instalments of the series, but also much deeper than your average FPS hero. Unfortunately, the plot as a whole does suffer in the latter part of the game due to a somewhat forced inclusion of certain clichés.

In the end, I heartily recommend this game to everyone who has considered getting it. If you plan on playing it, restrain yourself from watching anything on YouTube or reading too much about it. This story shouldn’t be spoilt.

15. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

16. You know what? I think I'll get it after this.

17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

You won't regret it. Of course, the game isn't completely serious and there are plenty of moments that will make you smile and laugh, but whenever it touches on serious and controversial material - it does so in a surprisingly well thought out and certainly more sensitive way than many others do. The New Order is also extremely violent, brutal and bloody (sometimes this is entertaining and somewhat comical in a gamey way, whilst at other times it is used for effect in scenes that will make you despise the game's antagonists).

Another thing I should have added is that the gameplay, although similar to Metro: Last Light at the core, is more classic and old-school. You get health/armour packs, can carry all weapons at the same time (and dual wield most of them), etc. Like Last Light, Wolfenstein gives you an option to approach things stealthily. This is when its AI shows its bad side, but it still looks fun as hell.

#17 Bamul, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014