Will Gw2 PvP lose that Gw1 team dynamic?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: PvP Discussion' started by Tak, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

As a GW1 fan, One major concern I've had with GW2 is "can they keep that same GW1 PVP team dynamic while making classes almost stand alones". Since everyone can tank, cc, heal, evade, dps, etc... will you have that same team synergy from GW1? The formulas are almost total opposites.

GW1:
    Sure, maybe in GvG you will have more hybrid builds on some of your 8 players but often in HA everyone works like a cog in a machine, no team member can effectively be an "island".

GW2:
    Most of the PVP videos appear to be zerg chaos or 1v1's somehow. Great platform and amazing mechanics but are the team synergies there?

The biggest saving grace to me is the info A'net leaked about their team strategies ~October. It looks like they have several formulas that have a small touch of the old GW1 team work even if they aren't right there popping heals on each other. (If you missed it, I put the link and a video review of it down below.) After watching this, its clear that the GW1 formula wont be there in full but maybe in spirit. It will be changed some but maybe that's not a bad thing. Not everyone was like me and liked staring at health bars to pop the infuse vs a spike team. Definitely more dynamics and still some team strategy.... heck might even add more personal flare to the your opponents and allies - example: "this warrior really rolls a lot and favors his bow". In GW1 a warrior always kinda felt like any other warrior except if he had PVE gear on.

So PVP strategy... What will WvWvW look like? I'm guessing NOTHING like GW1 because it will be a lot more zerg/ranged favorable but also because GW1 didn't have anything like it right? This may be fertile territory my pvp friends.

http://guildwars2pvp.com/2011/09/team-arenanets-pvp-builds/
    [video=youtube_share;B3h018yRP8E]http://youtu.be/B3h018yRP8E[/video]

2. jstadragon

jstadragon GW2PC Mod - Dragon

World PvP is probably going to be the greatest type of PvP (imo) that brings in casuals and hardcore players. Especially since it's not a totally separate thing, that's what structured PvP is for. I'm more interested in the map dynamics because that gives the matches a bit more flavor instead of a lot of number pressing to kill opponents.

1 person likes this.
  3. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

Whats gonna end up happening is guilds are going to be stuck into a role mindset. They're going give each other roles even though they dont have to. There'll be the initiator (tank), team support (buffer/healer), and assassin (main dpser), etc. If anyone is familiar with LoL (League of Legends), the PvP will probably resemble something like that. Roles being chosen before hand and team fights being a power mashing of desperation. Cause remember, you can place your skills into whatever role you want. So I garuntee there'll still be a difinitive role for everybody, even though it wont be needed.

Side note: Group PvP is like China (conform, accept, do!)

4. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Yep, i'm also seeing various Guilds already giving roles to players. If things don't go like you said then this will truly be a new breed of MMO.

5. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Good points. WvWvW means we will have to evolve or go extinct because its a new ball game.

2 notes i got from the A'net review of PVP that might apply to WvWvW.....

1. Mixed teams provide the most amount of diversity. It sounds like some builds and classes are better at countering others. Guardian for the aoe buffs, warrior for a few shouts, mez for key shutdown etc... mix team appears to be the best starting point to meet a broader range of challenges.
    2. Of the strats i saw them use in organized PVP, i'm not sure that they will still be that effective in WvWvW. If you try a split build when the server is 3/4 pugs you wont have much luck i imagine. EXCEPT the spike build. With only about 4 guys they were able to do a decent spike on single enemy targets. This could alow organized squads to perform well even from within the pug "zerg". Another note here is there doesn't appear to be an "infuse" type ability where one character can really stop a spike on another character. I think this is key. This will obviously give a huge advantage to Rangers, eles, or other spike ranged damage and a simple team tactic to apply in the initial clash or skirmish before the chaos insues.

Lastly, if the WvWvW does get organized to include even pugs where your server is actually trying split builds, survivability builds, etc. (probably organized by a few guilds) The wvwvw pvp would be truely amazing.

1 person likes this.
  6. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

so what do you mean, that there is no way for other players to prevent burst damage on their teammates?

7. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

From what ive read i don't think so with the exception of the guardian.

Guardian
    -aegis type ability that makes your team block an attack once a minute.
    -bubble of absorption
    -shield of judgement wall looking thing
    -symbol of protection is a ground based defense buff.
    -hold the line gives protection
    -stand your ground gives protection
    -sanctuary is another big bubble.

Warrior
    -health increasing shout but thats about it.
    note:They can also call a target increasing the damage on that target before the spike.

Result...
    Basically though if the target isn't in a big obvious guardian bubble you could spike them down with the right timing and classes (rangers have great spike ranged damage).

8. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Guardians will be vital in all forms of group based PvP solely due to their bubble i'd assume. Which will make Guardians crucial in guilds.
    We might see more ability's similar to that.. we have not seen all the skills yet.