Wildstar to go f2p

Discussion in 'Wildstar' started by flickerthestar, May 28, 2015.

1. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

2. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I was curious about that. It's a shame, as the game has an interesting art style. I just wish it had been more engaging. Once it goes free to play I may give it another shot, but my brief experience with it didn't really entice me to play for long.

3. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Well-Known Member

The game can be already played almost for free. The box cost is 15 USD/EUR, and you can buy the 30-day sub granting CREDD for 20-40 platinum each, which is easily obtained in 5-10 hours of farming various quests and dungeons as a level 50.

4. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

ESO has been "free-to-play" for a while now. If you're bugged by the initial purchase cost, that likely won't be dropped for some time, since it would be quite foolish to do so with the long-awaited console launch just about the happen. While it's a little disappointing, look on the bright side; at least the developers can use the revenue the sales generate to develop quality expansions for the game. :)

5. Snakevenom

Snakevenom Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yep, it's basically their only way for them to save it at this point. They aren't going anywhere with that subscription. I am kind of happy about it though, I can now go back and play it again without risking my money on a game that I might really not want to continue.

6. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

It was inevitable for WildStar to go F2P. They couldn't sustain enough people to justify the subscription model. I mean in this day and age, it's harder and harder for MMOs to justify a subscription model when more and more people are inclined to a microtransaction method. I've been wanting to give the game a go since it was announced, but I've learned my lesson over the years that I'm generally in for a disappointment if I get bought up into the hype of a new MMO.

7. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

It did go F2P and now I think they are more successful then ever. They should have gone F2P right from the start. But you can`t blame a company for trying, right?

8. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

The hype was supporting it for a while and it seemed that people were willing to give the sub a go, however the game's mechanics overall and lack of living up to certain areas of the hype is what killed the potential for it. People want to feel that a sub is worth their time and money. Not only that but microtransactions have really changed the landscape. $15 a month for a sub isn't much if you think of it but so many have gotten used to microtransactions as well that they don't realize that they pay more in a month that way than a sub. The average player anyhow.

9. leahcim132

leahcim132 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think this was the best decision they made. Nowadays most MMOs are F2P and if you want your game to be ahead of the rest, mind as well go what the most successful games are doing. Along with microtransactions, the company would make more money than with a monthly fee.

10. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Who cares? It is a crappy game and the developers have a learn to play attitude with the players.

11. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nyte, while you have your opinion, some people actually do like the game, so that's why it was even brought up in the first place.

Anyway, personally I only even tried Wildstar when it went F2P because I personally didn't feel like it was worth paying a subscription for. I actually really liked the game, although I didn't play long because I was playing with friends who no longer have time for it. I still wouldn't have paid a sub for it, though.

12. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm inclined to agree with Maela. Wildstar f2p is actually pretty good, it is a solid game. I have played it in beta, and almost picked it up at launch but since I had no friends who wanted to play it with me I didn't follow up with it. Now I am currently playing the game off and on with my friend in a casual manner, its fun, i don't have any need to grind it.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it was a pretty good idea to go F2P, especially since a lot of people were on the fence about this game. Now you can try it out without worrying about spending money. :p