Wiedźmin 3: Dziki Gon (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Feb 5, 2013.

1. On the scale of English to Polish, how language are you?

[​IMG]

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

That's strange. :lol: On mine it's different; text options go through all the supported ones from Arabic to Chinese (not sure why, as that isn't alphabetical order). The audio options are the same though, from English to Polish - so it looks like only the language packs you have installed will show up as available dubbing in the menu. Screenshot below:

[​IMG]

3. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

The game's fun. Optimization's a bit of a mess, though.

Looked at the default settings for my rig, seemed optimized enough. Some high ones, one or two low ones. Booted up the game, first playable moment, and I get 35 FPS. Hmmm, that's does seem a bit low for the scene.

Ah, SLI isn't enabled. Let's fix that. Boot it back up, and... 29 FPS. Uh....

Ended up just putting everything on low except textures (checked, Ultra Textures and 1080p don't even break 1.5 GB on my cards). Played for a bit, decided to mess with the settings once I got into open ground, and figured out a few major framerate killers.

The first and biggest, and also most unassuming one is Anti Aliasing. There are no options here, only "On" and "Off". I expected something resource light like FXAA, maybe SMAA (especially considering these are both well known forms off AA applied after the frame's rendered, and this option is under "Post-Processing"), but no, it cuts my framerate almost in half. Definitely something like MSAA, which cripples my card's low memory bandwidth.

Also, kind of like in Dying Light, view distance (particularly foliage view distance) is a major killer. Medium was a happy medium (hue) so that it at least wasn't appearing in front of my footsteps, but even that came at a decently large framerate hit.

Also like Dying Light, the game's a CPU killer, and not well optimized for it. Framerate drops into the 40's or lower in towns generally, or even whenever I pass by a number of NPC's walking around. Checking Task Manager, and my CPU's not even maxed out, so there's no way this thing is taking advantage of more than four cores. Definitely not a great game for AMD CPU's, gonna have to go back and squeeze a bit more juice out of mine. Keeping background characters on a minimum is a must.

And at this point, enabling the Hairworks shit is a pipedream. Even people with 970's are having a hard time reaching 60 FPS at Ultra/High settings.

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Sucks to hear that you are having such problems with it. :( It is different to what I've seen, since on some of the Polish forums I looked at most people were delighted with the optimisation thus far - though many of them used quite low-end hardware. But everyone has a different rig so this generalising on my part it's of little value. Just like with GTA V, some people had great experiences with it whilst others couldn't even run it. At least there haven't been any major issues with getting W3 to run for most people, as far as I know, even if the optimisation is iffy.

This is somewhat expected. W1 had extremely long loading times, W2 was pretty unoptimised at launch too. Both issues were largely gone a few months after release of each game. Knowing CD Projekt, I can tell you that the fact they've even managed to successfully launch their first open world game and most ambitious project yet, after two delays, is a lot. I'm happy that the game isn't a buggy mess (from the things I've heard), unlike Skyrim when it was released. So a studio much smaller and with nowhere near the same budget as Rockstar or Bethesda has managed to release a larger game at a relatively stable level - just like 4A with the Metro games. I'm satisfied for now. It's just frustrating that I shouldn't check it out on my own hardware and thus can't speak from my own experiences. :lol:

I kept telling people earlier that if they were expecting Western AAA standards of polish from W3 at launch, then they would be disappointed. CD Projekt always delivers on almost all aspects - with more complicated and thoughful games than most developers could deliver nowadays, except on the stability and optimisation part... the previous two games reached amazing stability and higher levels of polish when the enhanced edition patch was applied, so I think this will be a similar case. :p

#384 Bamul, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  5. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Do any of you use Ati Tray Tools? I think there's a similar one for Nvidia called Nvidia Tray Tools, but I have no idea how well it works. Anyway, through the Tray Tools, you can put all your game .exe and open up their profile setting in a options menu. You can choose to force anti-aliasing from your graphics card (works for most games) and change some other PC specs that sometimes aren't available in game. Also, you can force overclocking, at specific custom levels, for every game that you play. For me, it works very well for a game that I can't seem to get the FPS up by adjusting in-game settings when I know that my GPU/CPU can handle the strain. Usually, after choosing what overclock setting I want, the game will require more from the GPU and thus make the game run smoother. I know this might sound crazy, Potarto, but perhaps your graphics/cpu is too good for the game and it doesn't really read the W3 process as being very taxing as compared to other games; even though it's brand spanking new.

And for good times, you should Ctrl Alt Delete and try the "set affinity" trick that works for the stalker games. You never know, it just might work ;)

#385 NuclearWastE3, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  6. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I've barely had any problem. At first I was a bit ambitious and put the graphics to high. After ten minutes of a steady 20 frames per second, I turned it down to medium and I've barely had any problem at all except for occasional frame rate drops when in cities or when there are lots of people.

7. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

The main city just destroys the PS4 framerate holy shit

8. Oh, they hired Uncle Bourbon to write loading screen tips:

[​IMG]

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

There are very few games out there that get proper SLI support at launch so it's a very finicky set-up, many titles never actually get proper support for it even if they claim they patched it in. It's the reason why I've always preferred one stronger GPU over two slightly weaker cards that are much more powerful together, since if the game I play won't recognise one of my graphics cards then I'd be devastated. :p That and two times the (potential) GPU power almost means twice the PSU power requirement and twice the heat generated, so it's all bit too expensive and fussy for me. But kudos to anyone who does choose it, since like I said it usually requires significantly more tweaking.

As for W3, I think it's probably just quite averagely optimised (seemingly randomly better on some rigs, worse on others - as I said earlier, it wouldn't be the first time with CD Projekt). It doesn't seem as tragic as was recently the case with many other games that are much smaller and less ambitious in scope. Yet there is something else that I'm surprised none of you have yet touched on, which is the rumoured downgrade (this I hope is an indication of how nice it looks regardless). According to numerous gaming news websites out there (Polish, German and English ones), there was a downgrade after all and after looking at some comparisons, I'm inclined to agree.

Stuff that was shown in some of the earlier trailers (like the Sword of Destiny one) and even the 35 minute gameplay video featured slightly better and sharper graphics than the visuals of the final release. Even one of the devs from CD Projekt agreed, saying that both official patches and mods will with time perhaps reach the same level as they initially wanted to have - as it can be changed my messing about with the files. So CDPR lied to us by showing a different gameplay demo, probably one that was fully playable but likely optimised only for the hardware they used for demos and too powerful for almost everything else (at least in the unoptimised form). At least it seems as though they used actual release quality graphics in the later trailers.

It's disappointing to see them do this as it's a shitty business practice, though this along with the high sale price for W3 could very well be part of the deal with distributors that they had (which is where their marketing budget is from, as around $15 000 000 was all they could gather up for development and used the distributors to fund their ad campaigns and shiny trailers instead with the $25 000 000 they received). In the long run it is of little importance, as the game looks beautiful anyway and I'm sure both the gameplay and story will live up to my expectations when I finally play W3. However, I guess it just goes to show that even good guys like CDPR are ready to lie to us or at least misinform us if it means potentially more profit. But that's how it works in this world. :eek:hwell:

EDIT: If anyone here has top-end hardware, then check this out. You may be able to reach early-trailer-quality visuals by tweaking these, just keep in mind that some of these are extremely demanding so don't fry your PC. :p And if the custom settings show up as "low" in the options menu, they should still actually work.

#389 Bamul, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  10. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I'm a simple man, after graphics reach a certain point, in my eyes, they all come under pretty damn good and while witcher 3 may be downgraded, it still looks pretty damn good

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Glad to hear it. Before release, I initially didn't believe in the downgrade and, honestly, I still think the difference isn't that huge - I can only see it in side-by-side comparisons.

Though I do have some more disappointing news. According to a number of benchmarks and angry Nvidia GPU users, it looks as though high-end 700 series cards are being outperformed even by GTX 960 in some cases. This seems to be a problem on Nvidia's end, as people are saying that the drivers seem to favour the new 900 series cards. I don't know if it's just speculation, but this wouldn't be the first time that something like this happens. It's how they try to convince us to buy their new overpriced products. I'm sure all cards will get better support in a matter of weeks though (the day one patch along with the new Nvidia drivers did supposedly get many people a few extra frames already).

Anyway, it doesn't really matter that much. Seven books (haven't yet got the eighth one) and two games - the story is what I want this game for, gameplay comes second, stability fourth and only then graphics. Even if Nvidia is really holding back the potential of my GPU with this game, it doesn't change the fact that I've got an older monitor. At 1440x900, I'm guessing I'll probably be able to run W3 on similar settings that I can do in GTA V - tweaked very high and 60 fps, I hope.

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Poland can into video games

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I can't remember if you're using AMD GPUs or not, but if you are then you might find this useful.

14. Potarto

I am running two GTX 660 TI's in SLI. I cannot run the game at High settings above 30 or so FPS. Like you said, it seems like everything before Maxwell (750, 750 TI, some 800-series mobile GPU's, and 900 series) is getting the shaft with driver support, not just AMD products. Which is a shame. I really do like Nvidia products, and their driver support and software is generally better and ahead of AMD's, but they've had some shady business practices, and if they're going to stop fully supporting a GPU architecture that last had a major release half a year ago (780 TI in November 2014), then I'm definitely going with AMD next time. Maybe their new advancements in stacked memory will give them an edge, and an excuse for me to make the jump next upgrade.

Also, it seems like Nvidia's basically pulling another Crysis 2 with Hairworks: They release a brand new line of cards that offers improved tessellation and high-end AA support, and then get a major title released with a major feature that goes completely overkill on both of those aspects so that only their new products can run it.

Crysis 2 had a similar thing; I believe they had a new line of cards with improved tessellation over AMD's line, so they got Crysis 2's tessellation to go insanely over the top, adding in huge amounts of redundant subdivided polygons to tons of environment pieces that are actually impossible to notice without loading up an editor and looking at the wireframe models.
    [youtube]IYL07c74Jr4[/youtube]

15. Skaara Dreadlocks

:lol: Next thing you know, Gerald comes marching into a cutscene with a gasmask and a Kalashnikov.

16. Potarto

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I did read somebody saying that their imported save brought Geralt with the hangover tattoo from TW2. I never got around to taking it off yet it's not there, I wonder if I messed something up when importing my saves. Also slightly curious to see what difference my choices make, because I still haven't seen anything yet to indicate my previous experiences.

Like the council of mages that should have happened since I saved Triss, haven't seen anything about that yet.

17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Of course, I should have realised when you said SLI (not CrossFire). :facepalm: As for the results of your imported save, chances are that you have not seen them because the game simply hasn't registered them. I'm quite sure that a few people have experienced a bug like this, unfortunately. On the bright side, you may get even better frame rate after the recent patch, as it has supposedly improved optimisation for HairWoirks and the game in general.

Also, here is a link to what CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwiński had to say about the downgrade concerns: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-dev-responds-to-graphics-downgrade-conce/1100-6427502/

18. Potarto

Haven't seen much of a framerate boost sadly, and there's still some flickering on the vegatation in a few areas. Still obviously quite fun, though.

As for the downgrade, yeah that's pretty obvious stuff. The only noteworthy thing here is the fact that CD PR is actually acknowledging the concerns, which is nice of them.