Quantcast

Why so much love?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts' started by Zombie Lad, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Linkzelda41

Linkzelda41 Member

I don’t know precisely why others may love Kingdom Hearts so much, but I’m willing to presume that it could strike a nerve for childhood nostalgia for most. Maybe the songs incorporated in the games is something that would garner a lot of attention and favoritism, especially for a female audience as well.

Disney, at least if you were aware of the traditional style, is literally the life and blood of most people’s childhood. And having a game that seemed to have some kind of parallel universe with those characters and such can really inspire people. The whole aspect with friendships and other motifs that captures a younger audience (and even older audiences that have the heart of a child) is probably what contributes to the love.

But when looking at the games analytically, it’s just like any other RPG where some parts might seem bleak because the older we get, the more likely we’ll grow tired of things we thought were cool. I guess games like this contributes to people validating part of their identity, especially with characters that go way back in traditional animation.

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

For me personally I fell in love with the game because it had a lot of cool stuff the soundtrack was really good as well as story even tough I still don't think I quite understand it and having FF characters is just a bonus.

3. keymaster

keymaster Member

When I first heard about this game I didn't have any interest to play it, the whole Disney thing threw me off. But a cousin of mine kept bugging me to play it and he let me borrow it. And I fell in love with it. Right from the start the characters and the story, the music and atmosphere were great. It ended up becoming one of my all time favorite games. Sadly they started making all the sequels on hand held titles and that's where my love ended. How could they take such an amazing game and throw the rest of the story on hand held consoles, it was infuriating.

4. Kevin Valerio

Kevin Valerio Active Member

Even though it's a bit childish, it's really fresh and shows that you don't need to be serious to have a good game. Most of the time I still enjoy games that have more engaging and serious storylines, but this is a nice little exception.

5. swagger

swagger Well-Known Member

The feeling of nostalgia from seeing my favorite characters, combined with an amazing storyline provides an awesome gaming experience for me.

6. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

I at least like it because for all the crap he gets Nomura is a damn good writer. Not only that but everything in this series has some deeper meaning it to. He turns metaphors and representations into reality, it's just truly awesome to see him take the idea of a "spiritual heart" and turn it into something so fantastical. The mythos he's created is incredibly intricate and creates just such a cool world to watch.

Of course I like KH for more than just a good story with a nice mythos. The gameplay in KH is really fun. There are a lot of games with a similar system but nothing quiet like KH. Not only that but they are constantly changing the system up. They keep the core dynamics the same but everything else is usually totally done over. The system is in constant evolution and a lot of times rather than evolving it's just made into something entirely new. No KH game has the same system, they all play very differently while sharing some common elements.

The music is great too I really love the music a lot. While there are some tunes I'm not as fond of the rest of the music is just so awesome to listen to and fitting. Though what really makes me love the series is how easily it is to immerse yourself into the story.

7. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

It's a crossover with Final Fantasy and Disney characters. And a very, very complex story with good gameplay. Not too mention the huge list of interesting characters (Both original and cameos). And the villains are actually pretty unique themselves. Saying anymore will be spoiling the game for you, so it's best if you can try one yourself. Preferably start with the first game so it might not be too confusing.

8. andrew172

andrew172 Well-Known Member

Well the best answer I can give you would be to actually play the game. As far it's appeal in general. It's probably one of the most solid RPGs out there, even overlooking the fact that it involves two of the most famous franchises ever. But the story is solid, and unique as it's gameplay and it can be difficult to find any flaws in it, unless you're looking hard.

9. flamingor

flamingor Well-Known Member

Its fun to play because it shows lovable Disney characters while at the same time having an actual plot and character developments in the game. Its not too "kiddy" but its also not too serious for hardcore RPG players

10. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

I like it because of all the disney characters and villians that make appearances in the game. Also the story line is pretty good as well.

11. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

I like it because of all the disney characters and villians that make appearances in the game. Also the story line is pretty good as well.

12. Dame6089

Dame6089 Active Member

I think a lot of it is nostalgia not only for the Disney characters, but for the game as a whole since many people played it as children. The games are really quite good and have deep (convoluted) stories. You would be surprised how much emotion these games can pull from you despite their kiddie exterior.

13. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I love Kingdom Hearts, the old Disney characters and the story is pretty much confusing but I still like it.

14. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I really enjoyed the appearance of the Disney characters as well as the storyline. The concept of the game also proves to be worth playing, as well as how beautiful the game looks. I mean, look at all the details within the worlds! A lot of our favorite Disney worlds are brought to live within this game and that's a definite plus for me.

15. Swiift

Swiift New Member

For some people, it's the Disney characters. Some people really enjoy fighting as Sora with Donald and Goofy at your side.

For some people, it's the Final Fantasy characters. That's what, I'm guessing, got a lot of people into the series.

For me, it's the gameplay, and the story. I won't spoil anything, in case people haven't played the game before. But if you haven't, I recommend you watch some of it on YouTube, or, if you would rather play the games and have a PS3, you could get the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 HD ReMixes.

16. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

I might be in the minority here, but I love Kingdom Hearts because of the storyline. It is awesome with the whole Disney/Final Fantasy combo, and I love it for that, but the main reason I follow the series so thoroughly is just a deep enjoyment of the story. I thought it was a bit silly at first because of the Disney add-ins, but I ended up being really intrigued by it and play the games' stories immediately after release in English because I want to know what will happen next so much.

The game definitely gives the appearance of being aimed towards children on the surface, but the story can and does get very deep and interesting, and even quite dark at times. So the mix of the nostalgic elements and the new elements that create a great tale are more than enough to get me to keep playing the series and continuing to fall in love with the characters in each game.

17. Testament

Testament Member

While it's true most of the success of Kingdom Hearts can be due to Disney Renaissance nostalgia and the "coolness" of Final Fantasy, what really get people to stay interested in this franchise is its storyline. It's so convoluted yet so welcoming at the same time. You have multiple versions or aspects of a single character running around along with a strong history behind the main worlds all independent of Final Fantasy and Disney. It's nostalgia that keeps this franchise afloat but it's the story that keeps it moving.

18. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I don't know, it can get pretty serious from the second game onward. It's unfair to say it's not up to your standards before trying it for yourself. I'm not offended, because I'm not the maker of the game, but a book's cover/game's trailer is usually just the surface.

19. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is true, too. The game gets better as it goes along, but I didn't think it was overly "silly" or childish from the first game, either. Its just a great story right from the beginning in my opinion. Even the trailers, I haven't seen any Kingdom Hearts trailers that were really bad or didn't do the game justice, honestly. Most of them are really great and intriguing, in my opinion at least. If someone decides not to play the game based on the trailer, well, that's their choice; it is unfortunate, but it isn't going to be everyone's taste.