Quantcast

Why so much love?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts' started by Zombie Lad, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Zombie Lad

Zombie Lad Well-Known Member

I have never played a Kingdom Hearts game, so please don't hate me for what I'm about to say. I have no idea why people care so much for this series. Is it because it adds in the good old Disney with some of your final fantasy? I guess I could see why people would adore that. Personally I like my RPG's to be more adult, more serious, and that's not what I feel from a Kingdom Hearts game. Wouldn't you guys agree?

But I'm sure it's a good game, I may even have to play it one day, just doubt I ever will.

2. Nickey22

Nickey22 Active Member

It's the nostalgic feeling for me. Seeing my favorite Disney characters and FF characters just makes my heart flutter. But in all seriousness, they're pretty decent RPGs and are worth checking out at some point in your life. They may not be on par with some of the classics, but it holds up quite well and I guarantee a good time.

3. BattleAxe

BattleAxe Well-Known Member

I actually don't know that much about the game apart from that my cousin used to play it. I never knew it was based off of Disney characters, that's pretty cool. I don't see how they could combine FF and Disney to make an RPG, just seems a bit weird.

4. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

I have played a lot of adult themed RPGs in my life and Kingdom Hearts offered a breath of fresh air. It allowed players to visit different Disney worlds that we have come to know and love. If you're a fan of Disney animation, then you would love the game. But if all you watch is adult movies because you're all grown up and just want to see adult stuff, then the cuteness of Kingdom Hearts may turn you off.

The gameplay isn't that deep too as compared to other RPGs. Anyway, it's a fun fun game all the same.

5. -Kian-

-Kian- Active Member

I've only played Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and Kingdom Hearts recoded, which are both for the NDS.
    But those games, especially 358/2 Days, really touched me in some way. I really loved the adventuring of Disney worlds, it was honestly great.

But the story line and the detailed characters did it for me. It's really worth getting if you have the console for it.

6. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I have only played the 1st and second one and currently playing ReCoded. I like them because of the story it is very deep as far as the characters go I am also a big Final Fantasy fan, but I can’t stand Disney though and Sora the protagonist sometimes seems like a moron at times which is frustrating, but if you like RPG’s you will love the serious!

http://www.youtube.com/macstunner

7. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

I played Kingdom Hearts once, the game play is actually pretty good, I wasn't into the story line though, and the whole mix of familiar characters didn't mix well with me. I too am puzzled by it's huge success and popularity.

8. andy103

andy103 Active Member

I really liked the concept of the game. Yes the story was a little bit childish on the surface but especially with the second game the background of the series was really interesting and in depth. I also loved the use of Final Fantasy characters. I can't really put my finger on why, but it is one of my favorite series and probably one of the best series out there.

9. DepecheChode

DepecheChode Member

To be honest it took me a while to really get into it the first time I played it. It felt really silly and childish. But once you really get into it it's pretty fun. The plot is just deep enough that you want to know what happens, and I think that's what really counts with a game like this, haha

10. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

The concept and gameplay is what initially hooked me and then later the story but I've only played the GBA one and Dream Drop Distance on the 3DS so I'm not sure if I qualify as someone who knows alot about the series. I loved them both though. DDD is fantastic and really look very pretty.

11. rosacrux

rosacrux Well-Known Member

I think people love Kingdom Hearts because it is a game for the kid in all of us, gamers. It was a successful effort to combine the worlds of Disney and Final Fantasy. It was appealing because most of us grew up watching Disney's cartoons and could not pass the chance to play with their characters.

12. RMCMage

I never really watched Disney, but before playing KH I was a big fan of the Final Fantasy games so that's why I played it, but it turned out to be better then what I expected, but I for one will think that the 1st one will probably be the best!

13. heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou Well-Known Member

If you like Disney, then the nostalgia and experience of playing alongside your favorite characters is awesome, but even beyond that, the games are just very fun and have kind of a cool story (although the second story can get a bit convoluted). I love the battle system and the world design is very imaginative and pretty, and even just exploring was fun and finding all the secrets and what not.

14. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

I respect KH for the uniqueness of it's gameplay and content. Mixing FF and Disney was a real "wow" moment for me. It's a really cool and unique mix and regardless of whether I like it or not, I respect it.

15. Psybe

Psybe Well-Known Member

For me, it was the characters. One of the only game where you'll see cartoon characters, other video game characters from other series, and have them all interact with one another. Really fun to play.

16. Akiyama

Akiyama Member

I think people enjoy it most due to the storytelling and how Square connects Disney characters (characters practically everyone is familiar with) into the stories of the unknown characters.

In a sense the end result is a semi-nostalgic feeling that pretty much has you hooked on them.

Akiyama

17. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Well-Known Member

It's definitely the nostalgia for me. I love seeing the Disney characters I grew up loving, fighting alongside the Final Fantasy characters I spent so much time with. It's a mix that shouldn't have worked, but I'm glad I gave it a chance because it was such an instant connection. You should really give it a go.

18. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

People gave Kingdom Hearts so much love and praise because it was basically Final Fantasy styled characters meets Disney. Back when the series first came out, things like that were rare.

If the series started now rather than back then, it wouldn't have met such praise because those kind of franchise combinations in gaming are abundant.

19. RMCMage

I agree and now that FF is now focused on making MMO's it wouldn't do so hot as well.

20. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

That's the thing about nostalgia and timing. All it takes is the right combination of the two to make something that under most circumstances good into something great.

By all accounts, Kingdom Hearts isn't any better than most other Action RPG games. But as I said in my previous post, the combining of franchises back when it came out was rare. So Square seized the moment and now have a cash cow on their hands.