Why Do You Play?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by djskyrim, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

I love MMORPGs simply because I love to explore and I love to be a part of this unique world within the gaming world. It provides me a great escape and so I can't get enough of it. That's why I play.

Why do you play? What are your reasons? Why do you like this so much?

2. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

mmorpg's provide a place where I can meet with a group of friends and just chill out. We can shit talk one another and just be cool. Often times we opt for skype or mumble so we can communicate without having to type. It's a thing I rely on nowadays to destress from my very stressful job. I look forward to weekends and some evenings when I can unwind, through the formality out the door, and hang out in my underwear and kick ass in my virtual reality world.

3. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have a lot of reasons as to why I play MMOs - First and foremost, I find them (or at least the ones I play) to be entertaining and fun to play, and that's probably the most important thing in any type of game, MMO or otherwise, for me. Outside of that, I like the social aspects to them, I enjoy meeting new people, and playing with friends.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like that this type of game has a little less limitations. There is still structure and there are still limitations to it of course but you can do a lot more with the system and formula other than the linear path that most other genres offer. Those also give me satisfaction but it's good that this also exist for when I take a break from those types of games.

5. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Actually play any kind of video games is to have a great escape from the real world for a little while, not just limited to MMORPGs.

However, the continuous world in MMORPGs does take it further.

I play video games to relief stress, but also to have fun. Some of them really kept me happy for quite a long time. Even though nowadays I am no longer addicted to video games, I still think they are a good entertainment for people of all ages.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

MMORPGs are like movies you can interact with, which is what attracted me to the genre in the first place. Playing with other players and teaming up to do quests or stuff is pretty cool.

7. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

It started as just a friendly hobby, but now I strongly feel like MMORPGs are the primal beginnings of our ability to create something more advanced and futuristic - sort of like the matrix. I think as a species, we could see MMOs as "inventing the wheel," except with the equivalent beginnings of inventing our own realities to explore.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

To hang out and have fun, pretty much. I'm not really dedicated to my mmo, I can drop it at any moment. (I actually stopped playing for like a week and a half, after non stop playing for a month.) But basically, it's just for fun and so I have something to do with my down time.

9. djskyrim

Regular

Hmmm... it seems the social aspect of the game is one of the main reasons why we play.

DeeDee likes this.
  10. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Usually, when I play a role playing game, I feel a strong sense of wonder. It's like I go back to being a kid again. I am able to explore vast magical lands, meet diverse characters, encounter powerful enemies... It's so epic that I can't help but get completely immersed into the game world. Because of this, I temporarily lose track of the real world, freeing me of stress and other worries.

11. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think being able to play in a team is one of the biggest draws for me. I have always liked playing co-OP as much as possible whenever I find a multiplayer game and I like it a whole lot more than playing versus my friends but I guess one of the best things about this genre is that you get to experience both

12. djskyrim

Regular

Yeah, you have the choice and that is what makes it great. You can go solo if you like in many scenarios and you could team up with friends if you want. Either way, you're going to have a lot of fun.

13. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm a fairly big lover of single-player games myself. The reason I play an MMO though, is the fact that in most modern MMOs there's a LOT of more content than anything a modern single-player game can offer. And also the open world aspect of the games. I love exploration, and the humongous worlds of MMOs are just awesome to explore!

14. djskyrim

Regular

Exploration is a big part of playing these games. I mean I want to be able to play the same game a year from now and not feel like I have run out of places to visit or things to do.

15. kaiserflame

kaiserflame Member
    Regular

Sometimes, it's nice to pretend to be someone you are not and feel great for being liked and needed. Yup. Escape from reality.

16. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I`m in it for the exploration and the epic boss battles. Provided you can get into a good guild that you can have fun raiding with.

17. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would agree. It's easy to forget but there was a time when most games you had to play alone and if you wanted to play with friends you had to go to their house and settle with just having two players enjoying. If not then you'd need to all bring bulky computers onto one place and by the time you set up half the day is gone already.

18. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Playing together with friends is definitely easier nowadays, seeing as just how many good MMOs there are out there. I think the age of LAN parties is long over.

19. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I play for fun, for pleasure, for recreation. I play because I'm stressed out from work and I need a virtual place to vent my anger on. I used to play ranked games but it just made me want to win so much that I forgot how to enjoy the game and just play.

20. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Agreed. That way each game is also different as well which is great. You could potentially replay the same maps forever because even if the location was the same the challenges will differ each time as well as the type of enjoyment you get depending on whether you are playing solo or with friends.