Why Defiance got such low ratings?

Discussion in 'Defiance' started by wowtgp, Aug 27, 2013.

1. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I still remember how bad the critiques and user ratings were when this game launched. I for one couldn't understand why it was so. What did they not like in this game? What's your opinion about this game?​

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I don't trust critiques I have played quite a few games that got poor ratings that where fun to play they might have had a few bugs or glitches, but they were still great games if you think the game is worth checking out I suggest watching some YouTube videos I find that better then reading critiques.

3. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Have you played Defiance yet? You will know why it got such poor ratings.

4. Bloody Daydream

The gameplay is great, the premise is great and the feel is great...but the game quickly feels empty after a while. There's a balance when it comes to sandboxes, as it doesn't just mean "wide open spaces and go anywhere". There's a lot of space and some spread out quests, but it still feels like an amusement park. Amusement parks that seem like a sandbox attract people expecting one style while giving another, which is where the bad blood comes from.

It's not a bad game at all. I like running around and doing world events, but the formula of "get the new gun and shoot the new thing" is just like any other game's "get the new thing and use it on the new thing." Nothing wrong with that, but there needs to be a few more features in the mix. Not the fault of Defiance at all, we simply have a game overload that raises our expectations.

If Trion could throw in some new attack patterns and make tactical decisions more important (Not just going in guns blazing to win all the things), it'll be just perfect. I certainly get that ghost town feeling when I play the game, though.

...That, and it shouldn't be so easy to solo most things. I'll get flak for this, but MMO's are social games. Solo is for single player. Sure, there needs to be plenty of stuff to play solo for when a game eventually dwindles in population and for those moments where people are too annoying, but if you're given a choice to just fly through with or without friends...the game becomes just another shooter.

5. Tersuss

Tersuss Well-Known Member

At the end of the day you really shouldn't pay attention to critiques, it's the same as with games and films, you should never pay attention to them, make up your own mind about it.

6. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

critiques always suck, I've played games they've raved about and they sucked, played games they demolishe in the ratings and they were awesome, its all up to your preference, my opinion is never rely on critiques to judge a game by.

7. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

So is this game nothing special compare to what's already out there?
    Just yesterday one of my friends posted a screenshot of Defiance on Facebook talking about "my new ship". I thought it looked cool.

8. Snakevenom

Snakevenom Well-Known Member
    Regular

The main issue a lot of people have is a lack of substance, you go to complete a mission and what do you get? A little loading bar. Great.

People want more in good MMO games, perhaps do something like Star Trek online and make it a puzzle. I feel like it would have been better as a singleplayer game and the MMO part feels stuck on for the USP.