Why are games addictive?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Elgiz, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Elgiz

Elgiz Member
    Regular

Have you noticed the fact that the more you play games, you get more addicted to them? But why is that? Some say that this is because games make you feel distracted from the cruel reality. Examples of such situations can be children who grow up in a divorced family. While others say that games cure depression and anxiety. Why do you play games? Do you feel that you are addicted?

2. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think games give you chance that many things won't give you in real life. And that means the game are giving you eupphoria in that context. so it'd be worth trying out as well.

3. acemorgp001

acemorgp001 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Many games are addictive because they appeal to the affective competitive side of our nature. Affective is the "feeling" side which makes us angry and happy and sad etc and all these elements are carefully integrated in the games purposely. So the games makes you excited during the game build up, makes you want to revenge if you lose or play more if you win ad infinitum. The graphics not only enhances the gaming structure but also has an effect on your subconsciousness. Physical games like running for example will make your tire whether you still like to play or not; and there are even intellectual games like chess that you cannot play without tiring and resting. But the present crop of games virtually makes you play for days on end seemingly without tiring but some gamers just collapse after days of continuos play.

4. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Games give you that since of freedom and a chance for you to release stress and adrenaline in a safe manner while having fun. There are times where I was slightly addicted.

5. acemorgp001

acemorgp001 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It used to be when some decades ago the TV was the one that was addictive. And by addictive we mean we can't get it off our system. Now they say it's the games and for other folks like the elderlies it's social media. Some studies equate addictivesness to a craving . So it's something subjective or personal. In academic terms, it's the affective element in us that makes us addictive to something.

6. Annejk18

Annejk18 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think games are addictive because they have to. Otherwise, it will not be called a successful game. Games are made to make people enjoy it and have fun with it. The more players playing a game the more fun with it. Games make us released stress and forget other things.

7. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't know why but usually because it is fun and entertaining. Maybe I can say that , I can't know why it is addictive but there is sething to it.

8. Lewis Ngata

Lewis Ngata Active Member
    Regular

Well, there's a scientific explanation as to why games are addictive, and then there's the general reasons. The scientific one is that when we are playing games, our brains process the scenarios as if they were real. If the game depicts a dangerous or violent situation, our bodies react accordingly. This "fight-or-flight response" to that perceived danger or what is known as adrenaline is triggered by exposure to intense stimulation and violence in the game. This leads to a constant state of hyper arousal, which leads to release of dopamine hormone which is the feel good hormone in the body. This is what leads to addiction.

The general reasons are that:
    1. Playing games is fun.
    2. It helps with introverted personalities as one doesn't have to interact with others and can hide behind games.
    3. Online games help create online relationships with other players.