Who thinks Khan is unusual but a good ranger?

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by princemubz, Jul 4, 2012.

1. princemubz

princemubz Active Member

"Those who have enough courage and strength to wander through a dark tunnel are the first to see a flicker of light in it." - Khan

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

Khan is not a ranger at all. His beliefs are different than the Rangers. One side says " If Its hostile, You kill it! " and Khan is like " Give him another chance. "

3. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

He may be associated with them, because he is seen at the Ranger's Sparta base, but other than that Wanderer is correct; he isn't a Ranger.

4. The Dark Ones

The Dark Ones Well-Known Member

He's a mysterious fella......and how come the only person who interacts with him is Artyom? Even at Sparta he's standing on his own at a shrine......

5. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

I've heard some speculation that he is a ghost... But yeah he is only an associate with the Rangers. I like to think that they have differing points of view, but some of the rangers respect him as a person/combatant.

6. The Dark Ones

The Dark Ones Well-Known Member

but he says he survived the attack that killed the rest of the people on his base...?

7. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

He's not a ghost, he's just careful and skilled.

8. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

I don't think he is a ghost either, but I do find it to be an interesting theory! :wacko:

9. KLMKsunbunny

KLMKsunbunny Well-Known Member

He says "i was with them when they died... only i survived" If you re-listen to it, the emphasis on the words is odd - when he says "only i survived" it doesnt sound like he means 'i was the only one left alive'... It could be interpreted as his "soul" carried on, whereas his squad is still caught in limbo. Personally i think he is real, the book adds other depths to his character, but even in that he appears and disappears, so who knows for sure? Its one of the many mysteries of the metro.

"Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory were atomised as well..."

10. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

"So when a soul leaves the body, it has nowhere to go...and must remain here, in the metro. A harsh, but not undeserved atonement for our sins - wouldn't you agree?"

11. Nod2033

Nod2033 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Dont take it too far guys Khan isnt a ghost, we saw ghosts and khan was pretty different no? xD

and while you were talking about the rangers are you guys sure they all believe the same? they could have different beliefs just like Khan. We did not really met all of them 1 by 1 very well, I don't think they all agree with Hunter and the famous "if it's hostile, kill it". Maybe Last Light will let us get to known better the rest of the rangers aswell.

12. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

I can agree with that partially. Hunter and Khan definitely had the most prominent perspectives in the game. Aleksei, and Miller also had very strong perspectives that the character got to learn about. Bourbon was also had a strong perspective.

13. Von Streff

Regular

Well, when you guys put it that way... yeah, could be...

14. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

but how could he be a ghost? both artyom and the rangers see him and also the people at the cursed station, plus he lacks that ceartain shadowy transparency the others have.

#14 Lagtagbag, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  15. Von Streff

Regular

In the Metro 2033 book, Artyom meets two men at an abandoned station. They seem real and solid to him, and even when he leaves he still isn't sure if they were ghosts or not. I guess Khan could be, though he seems pretty physical when he grabs the soldier in the Last Light trailers and blasts away others...

16. MRJOEYBON

MRJOEYBON Member

Unusual, no. I'd say he just has a better understanding of what's going on with the world around him. He seems to have adapted just fine. Humans strive for an understanding of what's going on around us. We hate being kept out of the loop.

Where most people associate the mutants and monsters down in the Metro with monsters and evil hellspawn things Khan sees something different. That's what really makes me think he adapted better than anybody else, even the Rangers, to the Metro.

17. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

Weren't those destiny-foretelling guys more of a psychic phenomena?

18. Von Streff

Regular

I'm not too sure what they were. Man, now I have to read the book again! :)

19. iR3vOlv3Rz

iR3vOlv3Rz Well-Known Member

uhm... Khan a ghost...?.... if you're really interested of this, load the Cursed Station level, go to the "Shrine of Hope" and focus on the photos, you'll see a...familiar face...

20. KLMKsunbunny

KLMKsunbunny Well-Known Member

i'm just replaying through the game, so had a look. Youre right, its not clear, but it definately COULD be Khan...
    As for Khan being acknowledged by others, no-one speaks of him, or to him at the Sparta base. In fact, you have to wonder whether the security conscious rangers would let others in there.. But it states that the place used to be a church. He is acknowledged by the defenders at Cursed though, but heres the wierd bits...
    When you first see khan, he says "I am going back to Cursed.."
    The next level Ghosts he says "Nobody ever walks here, neither people nor beasts. ....i know this tunnel, and it knows me..." He talks of the tunnel forced to relive its past over and over again..On the next level Cursed the loading screen describes the station: "the name was no accident. Its people were locked in an endless war for survival" Endless..? khan says 'Most people have abandoned the station. The unfortunate few who remain have nowhere else to go..' Are they dead spirits too? Once you have blown up the tunnels Khan says "...I wont be going further with you, i'm still needed here." and then there is the photo at the shrine.... Wierd stuff!!:D