Which S.T.A.L.K.E.R game is the best?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Feb 10, 2013.

?

Which S.T.A.L.K.E.R game is the best?

1. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I know we already have a discussion thread on the series, but I thought it would be interesting to see the results of a poll like this. So, go ahead and vote on your favourite game from the Stalker series. Only rule is: you must have completed all three of the games to vote. Please do not vote if you haven't, because then it isn't really fair. :p Personally... I just can't decide. :lol: Okay, that may sort of defeat the purpose of this thread, but still I think the results will be useful for those who have never played the series and there are bound to be some of us who can decide. Here's what I think of the games individually:

Shadow of Chernobyl - The first game in the series with the best story. It is extremely innovative, bigger (with more content) than the other two titles and it is also the scariest of the three. Due to the fact that this is where the series started, many would say it's the best.

Clearly Sky - It has the best graphics and most interesting art direction/environments. The story is okay, but worse than SoC. The faction wars feature is decent, but should have been developed further and refined. Clear Sky's biggest flaw is the sheer amount of bugs in it, which will convince some to call it the worst game in the series.

Call of Pripyat - From a technical point of view, this is no doubt the best game in the series. The gameplay has been refined, the weapon/armour upgrade system has been fully realized, many of the side missions are more interesting and there is the least amount of bugs here. The story is probably the worst in the series, but it is still decent and the atmosphere (as well as the feeling of brotherhood with other stalkers) is great.

That's what I think of each game in the series. If you want to post anything that contains spoilers for any of the games' stories, then please use spoiler tags as there are many members of the forum who have never played any Stalker game.

2. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

well, hard call since I love all of them.

SoC the best for atmosphear I have to say, and feelings of doom and loneliness.

CoP is my favorite, with all the improvements in upgrades, feel of community, side missions, and exploring. I can spend a couple of months in Zaton before doing any main mission just exploring and giving hell to bandits, mercs and mutants alike.

CS, well, very buggy, but thank god for patches and mods.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Who did you side with in Yanov? I went with Freedom. I love those guys and their ideology, so I have been backing them whenever I could since SoC. :smokin:

4. Heavygunner

Heavygunner Well-Known Member
    Regular

Duty FTW!
    Now you must die:mad:
    :lol:

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

So... this is war. :mad:

6. Jet Odessa

neutral to both duty and freedom. 'friend of stalkers', 'one of the lads', 'man of balance' and 'diplomat' is my list of achievemnets to get in all playthroughs.

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I can't remember which achievements I got, but I do remember that I was friends with all free stalkers, all Freedom members and all scientists on my CoP playthrough - but remained neutral with Duty.

8. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

With SoC I was with duty, on my First playthough didnt even know you could go with Freedom xD

But Clear sky was my Favorate, Nicer looking, Enviroments felt more real. While I liked SoC for its Story more though and Pistol Iron Sights xD

With the last one, I always felt thats the maps were to cluttered with NPC's, couldnt walk very far without running into people, and spent most of my time walking, at least in SoC you had to stay alert for Dogs!

9. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I can't decide betwen SOC and COP. For sure SCS would be last. Something about SOC makes me want to say that one is the best but the COP was just as awsome. All I know is that every time I play any of these games, I go with Duty and kill anyone from Freadom :mad: in my sight.

10. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to play one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games for a while now, since i'm still a S.T.A.L.K.E.R virgin. What are the good and bad points and which is better between COP or SOC? I'm considering getting the first one atm.

11. Jet Odessa

best thing to do, play them in release order, that is, SoC, CS, CoP, and unmoded for the first playthrough.

12. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Personaly i love all of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.They have their pros and cons.Simply put if you want atmosphere play SoC,if you want more action oriented game play CS.If you want pure exploration game with some pretty gritty scenery play CoP.Each game is worthy of your time and attention.

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Some of the points have been mentioned in thread already, so look back at those if you want to. Otherwise, I bet there's plenty of in-depth comparisons on the internet. I can't be bothered to make one atm, since I'm abroad. :p Anyway, I recommend getting the first one and playing it. Give it some time though; give it a chance. It's unusual, but if it clicks for you like it clicked for us then you'll love it. If you do, then get Clear Sky and complete it. Even if you don't like CS, get Call of Pripyat after that as it's an improvement. You must play CS if you want the full story and the full experience. Of course, if you don't like SoC and can't complete it, then I'd suggest not getting the other games. If you don't like the first one, then you probably won't like the others. And if even you do, then there's no point in having an incomplete experience by not completing one of the games.

14. Wolve_NZ

Yea, I would do SoC -> CS -> CoP as theirs allot of improvments made in each game to the game Dynamic, so unless you wanna go "Fuck, I cant do that anymore :/" xD

15. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

i think ess tee ay el kay ey arr shadow of chernobyl is the best one (the rest are kind of buggy) but if you get i think its called oblivion lost mod pack with it you are set fo life

16. Keegan83

Regular

What? Oblivion Lost? Go for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete instead.

17. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Aww shucks I had trouble with one mod but now two

18. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I think what let clear sky down for me was the end, why take an open world game and funnel it down a corridor and almost turn it into call of duty, the ending ruined it a bit :tsk:

19. Wolve_NZ

I quite liked the ending, could of used some work but had potential I think

20. Keegan83

Regular

In the making of video for Clear Sky the team said that they deliberately wanted to make more action oriented game and that's why the last levels of Clear Sky are rather...corridor...y :D And besides,the last levels of Shadow of Chernobyl are linear too_Once you're past Pripyat the freedom is more or less taken away.
    But i really liked Clear Sky.