Which Ending would you prefer to be canon?

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by Sharkey, May 17, 2013.

?

Which ending should be canon?

1. Good Ending (Artyom lives)

30 vote(s)
    81.1%
  2. Bad Ending (Artyom dies)

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. Sharkey

Sharkey Well-Known Member

Pretty simple question, which ending would you like to see a third Metro game follow up with?

Personally, I prefer the 'Bad' ending to be canon, much like how 2033's 'bad' ending was made canon for Last Light. To me it's the most interesting as it easily leads into the third game's protagonist being Artyom's son, whose father made a heroic sacrifice to save the Metro.

It also resets the status quo with the relations of the Dark Ones, with an older Young Dark One returning only to learn that Artyom perished at the hands of humans. How would the Dark Ones react after 2 decades of self-exile from the humans, only to find their hope of communication was snuffed out? Would Khan still be around to mentor Artyom's son to carry on Artyom's destiny of bringing peace to the Metro via the Dark Ones?

2. Chimera Knight

Chimera Knight Well-Known Member

I prefer the good ending myself, it shows the bond Artyom formed with the little one and I always dislike the child taking up the mantle of the father plotline it's been done to death.

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

Considering how Ulman died and Miller became handicapped, I didn't like the good ending that much.
    I liked the bad one a bit better where they all died in a heroic way, sacrificing themselves for the metro's sake.
    But just because Anna would've been the mother of Artyom's son, I'd much rather prefer the good ending to be cannon! :lol:

4. Roadkill

Roadkill Active Member

"Bad ending" sounds good,it seems like the right choice, but thats just me :)

5. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

I prefer the good ending. LL had a more hopeful tone than 2033, whihc to me makes it more fitting. the game is pretty much about redeeming yourself from what you did in the first game right?

6. There are no good endings, both are bad.

7. The Gusten

The Gusten Well-Known Member

I liked both endings so I would be fine with whichever ending they picked.

8. Strider

Strider Well-Known Member

I'd love to be the good (and voted for good too). But... Metro...

9. Extreme Scotsman

I prefer the Good ending to follow up as it sort of puts the whole "Redeemer" story nicely rather then it ending in another downer ending. I mean sure. Lots of Rangers died at D6, Miller got his leg blown off, Khan just disappeared and Ulman died by the steel train.

But it's not a sort of a total downer as Miller is alive and is head of the Polis police force which is better then dying I say. Khan disappearing could mean he escaped after the train hit meaning he can be alive or dead.

If we were to go by the Bad ending. Then the Fourth Reich would have a major advantage in possibly dominating the Red Line as the Rangers base has been destroyed with most of the rangers either dead or injured. The Red Line has suffered a great deal of soldiers and resources just trying to take over D6, most likely leaving a few communist stations weaker then ever possibly before.

The only Major Faction that can oppose the Nazis is Hansa, and even then. I don't think they would be enough to stop them from invading nearby stations.

Not that it matters since the Bad ending would make the Continuity fall apart. I mean, if Arytom is dead in Metro: last light, then how can he write the diary of his journey in metro 2033 when he was a lot older ?

10. Sharkey

This actually is a great background conflict imo, the Reds were the major antagonist this game, time for the Nazis to have their turn. We still haven't seen too much of Hansa either, so with the Rangers being practically wiped out Polis would definitely be at a disadvantage and Hansa could take up the mantle of being the big power against a greater Nazi threat.

This occurred to me as well, but it could simply be shrugged off as simply a different VA and the narrating Artyom could be post 2033/pre-LL.

To me, the Bad Ending just seems like the author's intended choice as it goes down a darker path for the Metro, much like 2033 ended up doing. It also sets up a more interesting sequel to me as well, what kind of interesting conflicts can you think of for the Good Ending vs the Bad Ending?

The Good Ending just seems too clean for this type of world.:painkiller:

#10 Sharkey, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  11. chazman21

chazman21 Active Member

If Artyom Lives, Is Anna still knock up?

If yes, Then let Artyom live.

You can always try and Kill Artyom and Anna off later,
    With the son having to choose!!!!!

12. Sharkey

One would assume so since there would be no logical reason for her being pregnant or not based on the ending outcome. Essentially the endings can be broken down to:

Bad Ending: Artyom dies, along with all the rangers and Reds at D6, D6 destroyed, Dark Ones wary of humans and don't help at D6, confirmed son of Artyom.

Good Ending: Artyom lives, Miller lives, Reds possibly live based on effects of Dark Ones attacking them, D6 intact, Dark Ones trusting of humans and aid Rangers at D6.

Both endings have Ulman dying and Khan's whereabouts are unknown. The Dark Ones also leave and intend to return no matter what.

13. chazman21

chazman21 Active Member

I was just wondering if it would be told in the future.
    Game Writer's, just love to change stuff around.

D6 was not a total loss, Why?
    In the the bad ending, Anna is sitting in Artyom old Bunk room. Which was in D6.

14. Sharkey

AH, that is true about Anna being in Artyom's room. Still, one would have to imagine such devastation would've destroyed the majority of stashed weapons and equipment at D6, so it wouldn't be the treasure trove it first was.

If there will be a sequel it'll most likely take place years down the road with a grown-up Young Dark One returning with his kin to the Metro. If the 'bad' ending will be canon, definitely expect to play as Artyom's son. In fact, given how few got the 'good' ending in 2033 and how difficult it is to get in Last Light, I'm sure the majority of players will get the 'bad' ending once again, leading it to be chosen as the canon ending.

#14 Sharkey, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  15. chazman21

chazman21 Active Member

Who gets to choose the Canon ending?
    & Has it been Official chosen yet?

16. Sharkey

I would assume Dmitry Glukhovsky, as he's the author of the series. Nothing official yet, at least until Metro 2035 comes out this year as its story IS Metro Last Light, only expanded. However it ends in the book will most likely be the canon ending as the Metro 2033 book ended the same as the 'bad' canon ending of the video game.

17. Strider

The novel started when he was young, not narrating the story as old guy, this is one of the game's little twists in the plot. For all we know, this might turn into a little plot hole, but logically makes sense. As always, the only trustful resource - the novels, so we have to wait a little bit for 2035. According to them we can assume how the story in the game concludes.

18. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

hell this could end up being a small time hansa traders tale to some kid (looking at you bioware)

19. Strider

Not a chance. Dmitry Glukhovsky is not BioWare (thank God).

20. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

free ending dlc anyone