Which do you prefer, Nvidia or AMD?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by loserman778, Sep 1, 2013.

1. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

You really don't NEED an aftermarket cooler with nvidia though. I'm not exactly an enthusiast I don't need the highest end shit I just want my games to run well and look nice. Doesn't have to be fancy shmancy with all the bells and whistles. My 650ti run just fine using stock cooling.

2. celinejulietdcosta

celinejulietdcosta Well-Known Member

Nvidia is my all time favourite. It has high performance therefore I would suggest you to go for it:)

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

Nvidia is probably my bet. I've been using Nvidia cards for a long time and it's been a great experience all through out. I never had any issues with the drivers and the performance is always top notch, even if the card you have is a low end card you can still play a lot of games both old and new without any problems except for of course low frame rates.

4. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I use Nvidia for years and I never tried using AMD so I really don't know about that. But many games are very compatible or most of the gamers are using Nvidea.

5. jayres

jayres Member

Nvidea everytime. Pound for pound, you simply get better performance and they run cooler and quieter.

For anyone booting Linux as well, save yourself a headache and go Nvidea.

6. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I don't know how to compare them, I know the performance of AMD is better but it requires more electricity and PSU, which in the end might cost you more than spending a little bit more on a NVIDIA card and not having to meet up the costs of what I've mentioned. They both have good sides and bad sides.

7. Burt Povski

Burt Povski Well-Known Member

I like Nvidia a lot more than AMD. AMD is cool and all, but I just find that Nvidia performs a bit better.

8. jamesbonner

jamesbonner Active Member
    Regular

Actually all my previous computers had a nvidia So I never tried AMD cards, but I think that Nvidia is good company and I never had any problems with their products !

9. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't have a preference, I choose whichever is the best for me at the time. I don't understand fanboyism. That said I've had more problems with Nvidia cards than ATI ones.

Nytegeek likes this.
  10. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer AMD products more since they are cheaper. In my desktop which I built myself years ago I used mostly AMD parts.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, AMD have affordable products that can compare with their NVIDIA counterparts, though in general NVIDIA have the upperhand. Much more quality and a better company!

12. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I wouldn't say that there is much more quality in the hardware but AMD's directx 11 drivers are badly programmed resulting in more CPU overhead compared to Nvidia ones. Which is the main advantage really.

13. Bannon

Bannon Active Member
    Regular

I like Nvidia simply because of how many games work out of the box with it. AMD typically has a number of issues with game and software compatibility so it becomes a bit of a chore to get things to work at times. Nvidia on the other hand I've never had to do more than to just update the driver if things don't work exactly the way they're supposed to.

14. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Am I the only one here who finds Nvidia is more stable from more points of view, is more popular among game developers and is updated more properly? I have two PCs, both with different video cards, and the one which has Nvidia is way more updated than the AMD. Might be just security stuff, but hey... it does have a psychological effect.

15. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member
    Regular

i use AMD because it's cheaper and still great for me

16. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

At one time I would have said Nvidia. Now that they cram Geforce Experience down your throat as the only way to have the most current drivers, I'm not sure. I hate bloatware with unnecessary features and I hate it even more when made mandatory.

17. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

More stable ? In which way ?
    Is more popular among game developers ? Yes that tends to happen when you have the majority of market share and bribe people.
    Updated more properly ? Well Nvidia does seem to update drivers more frequently. AMD did too, but then people complained IIRC so now they take their time, which can be both beneficial and detrimental.

18. Nytegeek

Regular

@razer Nvidia has a fast development and release cycle for drivers. They just make you install and use their bloatware to get them. AMD isn't "taking their time" because people complained. Not sure where you got that idea.

19. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

People complained about stability of their drivers and them not bringing any real improvements AFAIK, so they slowed down development. Even if that's not true, I know they used to release new versions faster a couple of years ago.

20. Nytegeek

Regular

No they didn't. There wasn't a slow down in the release cycle. There was a shift in how they are accessible, as I already explained.