Which do you prefer, Nvidia or AMD?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by loserman778, Sep 1, 2013.

1. erronousRogue

erronousRogue Active Member

AMD simply because I like the company the most. I don't downright HATE nVidia, I just don't like them all that much for some reason. Plus the price/performance tends to be better for low to mid range cards, and I have honestly swear to God never had a single issue with drivers.

2. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on past experience, if you've had a good experience with a brand then you're going to stick with them. For me it's AMD all the way, but I can also understand that others have had bad experiences with AMD. I don't like brands being all powerful anyway, keeping them even keeps the competitive prices and performance.

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I can honestly say as a person that tried my 1st AMD not to long ago the 1st experience was bad I ended up having to RMA the card but things like that sometimes happen so I wont fault AMD for that I also upgraded my CPU to an FX 6300 and I can tell a huge improvement in speed from not only playing games, but also when it comes to editing as well sometime in the future I may put in an SSD and maybe get a new monitor as well.

4. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Power = Nvidia

Power for a budget = ATI/AMD

I think that it's as simple as that. Nvidia will always be a tiny bit more powerful. I wish ATI had Nvidia's levels of driver usability. They would easily put them out of business.

5. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

In general this is correct, especially regarding ATI/AMD being the best for bang for buck. I will say though that ATI/AMD have had cards that are more powerful than Nvidia, it's just the usual question of how long for? Constant battle of domination.

6. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member
    Regular

AMD specializes in budget GPUs and CPUs. Their top cards are pretty good, but they also run incredibly hot and are extremely loud. They can deliver performance, but not stability and longevity from my experience. You get what you pay for.

If you want cards with great performance, cooling and awesome features, you go with Nvidia. Yes, you are going to pay a lot more than with AMD, but your GPU is not something you should ever skimp on if you are a gamer.

Nvidia also has cooler technologies such as ShadowPlay, FXAA and TXAA, native PhysX support, adaptive anti-aliasing etc. AMD has only ever put out features that are either executed terribly despite sounding good on paper, or just don't offer much of a benefit that anyone actually would make use of.

Asus and EVGA Nvidia cards are the way to go for me.

7. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Nvidia for me. I can't explain but in my mind, Nvidia just clicks with me. I think Nvidia is better in terms of support and performance but that's just me. I've never used a single AMD card in my life.

8. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

That's not all true I own an XFX 7950 GPU and it has never ran hot, but it's not overclocked and as far as Nvidia GPU's lasting longer I think that's a bunch of bull as long as you buy a good brand and don't do no stupid overclocking you should fine.

9. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

How can you say you think Nvidia is better in terms of support when you admit you've never used a single AMD graphics card in your life? Not really a fair comparison.

10. CrownedClown

CrownedClown Well-Known Member

I'm not competent enough, so I won't get into details, but generally cheap AMD cards are rather bad compared to Nvidia at the same time it seems like the high end AMD cards are a lot better than Nvidia's. It really depends on what you are looking for.

11. swagger

swagger Well-Known Member

As someone who has used both, I prefer Nvidia to AMD. Nvidia provides a much smoother experience.

12. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

I have operated an Radeon card in one of my computers for over 6 years now without a single issue. I have had more issues with Nvidia than AMD by a longshot. Both last for a long time if treated properly and maintained correctly.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nvidia all the way. I`ve starting gaming with 3dfx cards years ago. Then they were bought by Nvidia, so I went Nvidia. Never owned an ATI/AMD card. But never had any problems with Nvidia performance either.

14. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Well-Known Member

I prefer Nvidia simply because I can depend on them to deliver quality drivers and results. I have had a 5770 and a 7770 and both were a freaking nightmare with inconsistencies in games, driver issues, heat and noise. I have never had any heat issues or driver issue with Nvidia

15. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Nvidia because I like when my computer doesn't implode.

Chris_A likes this.
  16. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

lol, AMD is that bad is it? As much as I dislike using AMD but I've never heard of it imploding in people's computers. Yes, AMD does generate a lot of heat but nothing to that extent lol.

17. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

AMD products are always lagging behind their competitors. For processors, Intel is way ahead of them while on GPUs, Nvidia is also leading the race. AMD products are good for budget rigs, but if you can save enough money and spend a little more then go for its competitors. :p

18. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

I am not a very experienced hardware guys but I have always had Nvidia graphics card and they always functioned flawlessly. Even after I have had them for a few years they would operate great and sometimes be able to operate newer games.

19. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

They run alot hotter then nvidia cards and it drives me nuts. Older nvidia cards run cooler then AMD's. I don't want to spend all kinds of money on cooling when I can just spent it on a card that doesn't overheat.

20. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member
    Regular

Maybe with their stock coolers, sure. But anyone with half a brain knows to get a card with an aftermarket cooler to extend the life of their card, and the cooling is about equal using those for both Nvidia and AMD. AMD stock coolers and fans are loud, noisy pieces of crap, but that's what makes them so much cheaper.