Where are the mods?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Concerns' started by krapster, Apr 4, 2013.

1. krapster

krapster
    Expand Collapse

Hi

This forum used to be very nice but spammers destroyed it and where the hell are the mods? can you guys at least implement a Captcha for like 5 posts and registration. Trust me I'm a developer. Their bots will have a hard time bypassing it or you can assign some active members to mods so they can look at all posts made from newbies before showing them to public. I know all of this is possible with vBulletin.

Thanks.

2. rolfwar

rolfwar
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

There are no mods anymore. The People of the Metro have insurged against their tyrannical oppression and have overthrown their regime. The Democratic Republic of the Metro has now been proclaimed. Long live the Revolution!

3. Keegan83

Keegan83
    Expand Collapse

Viva la revolucion! :D

No, really, where are the mods?

4. TotalAaron

TotalAaron
    Expand Collapse
    The Oracle of Awesome

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

Skaara Dreadlocks
    Expand Collapse
    Tha Baws

What are you all on about?
    Aaron and I are active almost every day, deleting the very small ammounts of spam there is. There's like maximum six posts by spam-bots each day which I quickly delete, and at some points, there are no spam-posts at all. How in the all mighty world is this forum destroyed by recieving a few spam-posts a day that quickly are deleted?

We, the moderators, are completely active. We're here a lot. Why are you asking where we are?
    If you're a developer, you should know very well that implementing features to keep out spambots, is something up to the Administrator, and not up to the moderators; moderators are minor helpers, they can't do anything to change anything about the forum itself. They only manage members and posts.

If you registered here only two months ago, you should be able to remember that the forum does have a Captcha. If I am correct, it should actually have two Captchas; one with twisted letters&numbers, and one with pictures.

6. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper
    Expand Collapse

^ Indeed, you and Aaron are the most active mods I've ever seen on any forum.

7. krapster

krapster
    Expand Collapse

I have to disagree on this, you say you deleted everything instantly
    /showthread.php?t=4597
    there, it was here all night long. I'm not saying you guys aren't doing your jobs but maybe you guys need more people from around the globe that way the forum would be clean of all the spam.

Also where the hell is the Admin? If he or she is not active I think he or she could give access to a trustable mod.

8. Aaron

Aaron
    Expand Collapse
    *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

What do you mean "where are the mods!". Im here watching these forums from 11:20am till I go to sleep at 11:00pm. Every second day I have to return to school for PE for an hour or so but other than that I'm here. The only spam that ever lasts while I'm on is what's here when I get here which is quickly deleted.

9. TheStalker

TheStalker
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon Slayer

The admin is here every 2-3 days...
    But spam has not destroyed this forum at all! Ever since aaron became a mod we have a lot of coverage of deleting the spam. Sometimes though the mods are on and simply miss the spam. But the forum is not dead by any means. If anything there is practically no spam!
    Most spam posts are gone within 10 minutes, and the occasional one that stays longer is normally due to the fact that it was simply missed.

10. Skaara Dreadlocks

Skaara Dreadlocks
    Expand Collapse
    Tha Baws

Don't twist my words, please. Don't twist them. I never ever said "instantly". I said "quickly", which is a very undefined time of reaction. It could be ten minutes, it can be a couple of days.

Even so, if two or three threads being present in the forums over one night makes you feel that there is a problem that is even worthy of caring about, you must be a perfectionist. If we were to remove absolutely all spam as fast as possible without having them over night, we'd need at least five moderators +/- one moderator, and that's just out of the question because this forum's ammount of members is way too small for five of them to be moderator. Making five members moderator would also make it easier for moderators to abuse their powers unnoticedly, as he could just simply blame any other moderator.

All these things are already thought thoroughly through and we're still working on them. The administrator is indeed inactive, and we've been having some minor thoughts about giving both moderators, or at least one of them, Administrative powers. That's a good idea of yours indeed, I like that thought ;)

11. TotalAaron

TotalAaron
    Expand Collapse
    The Oracle of Awesome

I think the first couple replys where jokes than it just spiraled

12. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo
    Expand Collapse
    The Courier

Has anyone sort of taken note of this member's name, krapster, which then can be changed to crapster and finally crap stirrer.

I do not mean offence to you if this is false or if it is true. If this theory is false then kudos to you for making me seem like and idiot, a jerk and an ass in the Internet

#12 GoodLordApollo, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  13. Skaara Dreadlocks

Skaara Dreadlocks
    Expand Collapse
    Tha Baws

What? :confused:

Anyway, sorry if I'm seeming exaggerately defensive, I just find Krapster's accusations completely illogical. :sad:

14. TotalAaron

TotalAaron
    Expand Collapse
    The Oracle of Awesome

Your alive!? didnt Oprah I mean heyooo

15. Bamul

Bamul
    Expand Collapse
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

What the heck is this about? This forum hasn't had any noticeable spam problems since at least one month ago...

16. krapster

krapster
    Expand Collapse

LOL wtf, my username was really just random, Most closley would be crap + hipster = krapster

But yeah, my text is not to be taking literally word by word Skaara Dreadlocks but I'm a kind of perfectionist especially when it comes to Metro. I really like this forum and I want it to stay that way. It's like wherever I go lately I see spam on this forum of course this is not completely true but it sure feels like it. Also my I ask why is the background Defiance?

I think it should be Metro, and if it's for commercial reasons, Since Deep Silver has made this the "official forum"(correct me if I'm wrong) Shouldn't they at least fund it a bit so it can manage to survive? I Just curious.

Thanks.

17. TheStalker

TheStalker
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon Slayer

The defiance thing is some campaign the admin is running.

18. icedragon15

icedragon15
    Expand Collapse

interesting what do they gain from this i not sure but defiance beta was fun but i kind of went back to my backlog after having fun too many eneimes

19. TheStalker

TheStalker
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon Slayer

I'm pretty sure harley is just a fan of the defiance people :)

20. Skaara Dreadlocks

Skaara Dreadlocks
    Expand Collapse
    Tha Baws

The administrator works for a company and makes money by putting ads here and there. Her company bought the forum from the previous admin who made this forum. our Admin is unfortunately here only for business reasons and not because of Metro, but she is absolutely not destroying the forum. she's just making it a little weird temporarily with all the ads and commercials :p