What's your role?

Discussion in 'League of Legends (MOBA)' started by calebmelvern, Sep 27, 2013.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Well-Known Member

So what's your role in LoL? Do you know how to play all of the roles?

Personally, my favorite is being the AD carry of the team. The first hero I played was Ashe, and I instantly fell in love with the AD carry role. I purchased all the AD carries in the game. Right now though, I'm honing my skills as a support. I never thought playing support would be extremely fun.

One role that I do not know how to play is the jungler. I don't know; it just never appealed to me and I'm flat out terrible at it.

2. yellowbird

yellowbird Active Member

Oh, I shy away from AD carry always. I'm not skilled enough to carry the team yet. >.< Support can be fun, but also annoying at the same time. I like playing Morgana as support, even though I'm not positive she's built for exactly that. I'd like to expand my skills in that area though and branch out to learn maybe Soraka or Sona. I have both, and Sona looks like fun.

As for jungling, I'm in the same boat there with you. My boyfriend insists that it's important to learn though, and I have no qualms with playing Fiddles or Warwick, so I'm trying to work on my jungling skills.
    Is Ashe still your favorite AD champ?

3. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member
    Regular

I play all the roles. With a 4 champion pool in every role. I prefer junglers and supports because their role are the most influential in the game. Resulting is easier carrying. The other role I enjoy is top, mostly because it's a "true display of skill", you are constantly in your opponents attack range since you both will want to farm and trading damage take place often.

Also, jungling is the least demanding role mechanical-wise. You just hit the creeps until they die. But the most strategy-wise. You need to think all the time, time things etc. While your teammates try to kill the enemy laners, you must find out how the enemy jungler thinks and act on it.

4. yellowbird

yellowbird Active Member

I agree with you that there is a good bit of strategy to jungling. I haven't gotten there yet but I still see that it's a role that requires active thinking and your actions are determined by what other sneaky things are going on in the enemy jungle, heh.
    I do feel like supports are under appreciated though. They contribute directly to the AD carry's success, and I think some people don't always see that...

5. calebmelvern

I agree 100% about people not appreciating the role of supports. It's really crazy how some people do not realize that supports aren't there just to protect the ad carry. The support helps a lot in positioning, avoiding and initiating fights, and even simply helping the ad to last hit. It actually takes quite some time to master the support role, contrary to what some people think that it's the easiest role to play.

6. Stiflex

Stiflex Active Member

My favorite role is jungling, when me and my friends go play league of legends - I always jungle, because I'm the best at it out of my group and I really enjoy it. I especially love to jungle with Vi, Nocturne, Elise, Jarvan IV. Those are my main champions, though I also love to jungle with shen - but sadly he's basically banned 99% of the time, alongside with amumu.

7. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member
    Regular

As a defender of supports worldwide I have to say, first thing first, AD carries, riot was clever enough to change their name into something more true, Marksmen but if it was me I would name them with the name they truly deserve, AD carried.

I mean, early game, they have no damage, no health, no defences no nothing. The only thing [the good carries] that they need to do in the lane, is NOT die. and kill creeps, occasionally if they can trade or do free harass on the enemy you are playing with a god[sarcasm cause of low skill cap;p] and you better add them. Meanwhile the support: Has to keep the ad alive, has to provide vision, has to deny vision, has to deny the enemy from farming creeps, has to even die and take skillshots in the face in order for his/her carry to take the least damage, and ofc make kill plays when and if applicable.

And we're speaking for a dude or dudette which at 20 minute game can do SO much with so little, 20 minute support items ? Boots1, Sight Stone, Philo Stone. And they are enough.

Fact: IIRC At the semifinal games of Fnatic vs Royal, the support player of Royal, finished the game with boots1 only. He spend 4k gold on wards. Although arguably people would say it's a strategic flaw because they could easily let him farm the Sightstone, it shows you how much he did with only boots and wards.

8. Brad

Brad Member
    Regular

My personal favourite would be support I love dragging enemy's into me so my team can kill him and I get lots of assists from it meaning a lot of IP :)

9. calebmelvern

You summed it up really well. You were right about the support of Royal finishing the game with boots1. This goes to show how flexible supports are and how effective they can be without even having to build any item.

10. aleks4775

aleks4775 Member

I used to mainly go Mid or Top. Support never was my stongest side, because I am rally bad at trusting people in LOL as well as I am terrible at runes. For AP mid its always the same runes and same goes for top, but for support you need different runes for every champion and I didn't know what to buy. Plus you would need to spend so much time playing to get all those runes that in the end it just wasn't worth the effort.

11. Sness

Sness Member

I main support. When I started playing, like many others, I was relegated to assist my friend in lane since I didn't knew how to play, and by the time I got a handle of things I was already in love with the role. I started playing very difficult champions, mostly skillshot champs, so now I'm rrrreally good with Thresh and Blitz. I can play the other lanes (I have a bit of a hard time with jungle tough), but I always prefer to go support. ;)

Its good that people are starting to realize how important is the support role, Season 3 has been good for this, giving them the role tools to stand more in the battlefield. Hope S4 keeps improving the mechanics of the role!

12. Pawski

Pawski Member

Haha that's funny you say that because my main role is jungler, it's pretty much all I do I've learned how to play support as well as top in case someone else wants jungler but the one role I've never learned to play is ADC.

So in a way we are complete opposite =o

13. Weasel

Weasel Member

I like playing jungle and support. Both are supportive roles that help the whole team, and support is very under appreciated, it is one of the most important roles. For some reason people avoid being it and think it's just warding and sitting in a bush.

My play style is too passive to be a good top/mid laner. The third one would be AD Carry, I like farming safely first 20 or so minutes then go and destroy everyone.

14. Harshal Brahmbhatt

I usually pick attack damage carry since nobody in Bronze really knows how to farm. Farming is one of the biggest aspects of the games. 15-20 farm is about 1 kill. If you can get about 100 minions kills 15 minutes which is what I shoot for then you have enough money as you would've gotten with 5 kills. It is also the better way to go rather than being aggressive since there is a less likely chance of you dying, and you will not feed the enemy team by dying to a minion which would most likely not happen. When I play twitch I use my ultimate on minions if there is a large swarm of them since, the ultimate could get me close to 500 gold based on the number of minions. So I usually play carry because, not a lot of people know how but, I prefer top lane the most.

15. ddrmario123

ddrmario123 Member

I play a champion that can do a lot of damage which usually means I'd be playing in top, middle, or bot as an AD carry. I find it difficult to win games sometimes when you're playing support and you have an inadequate AD carry or jungling and your teammates do not know how to secure kills.

16. mauricioq

mauricioq Well-Known Member
    Regular

I love going jungle, because I fell like I'm helping my team to win the lanes by ganking.
    More than 50% of my games are probably me going jungle, so I already know a lot about it.

17. Khyru42

Khyru42 Member

My favorite role to play is Top lane or ADC, although I can play any role at a decent level. I like to think that my best lanes are top and ADC but I got gold league this season playing mostly jungle and support. I also have a few pentakills playing ADC as well, with Graves, MF, and Ezreal I think.

18. brandondnguyen90

brandondnguyen90 Active Member

I have tried multiple roles in League of Legends, but my most favorite is AP Mid. I prefer playing a solo lane anyways because I like a challenge. I play different kind of roles but the role that I play the least is probably Jungle. My first few times Jungling went horrible because I focused more on trying to get to a higher level than helping out my team members when they needed me the most. It really went bad. I love playing skill shots champions the most. I really like the challenge of being able to rely on accuracy and precision to kill a champion. Ahri, AP Ezreal, Blitzcrank, Thresh would probably have to be my most played champions in the game.

19. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

I'm happy in most roles except top - really not a fan of being top. I don't like the play style, and find you get left out of a lot of early/mid game scraps which I enjoy :(

20. netherblood

netherblood Well-Known Member

Jungling is the most fun for me. I like to play it more passively and just farm. A lot of people don't agree with my playstyle and flame me for not ganking, but sometimes I pay off in the late game by being fed.