What is the best Elder Scrolls game?

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online' started by Aakash, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Aakash

Aakash Member

I have had a good time with both The Elder Scrolls IV and V (Oblivion and Skyrim), but I can't seem to decide which one I liked better. Oblivion I enjoyed because of the main questline and story being so much better than Skyrim's, but I loved Skyrim's graphics and moddability. They both have their pros and cons and I would like to choose one of them to play through again, so I need your help to choose which one I'll try.

Thanks if any of you do reply and chime in with which you think is better and why.

2. Skycube

Skycube Member

I have to go with Skyrim. I played a few hours of Oblivion, but was never able to get connected with the world. Where as Skyrim I became totally engrossed, and loved exploring every nook and cranny. In fact it is the only Steam game that I have registered over 100 hours on. Usually I have a short attention span with games.

3. Christian46

Christian46 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I really like the moddability of Skyrim, because it means the game becomes effectively endless. You can change any part of it to suit your desires, and there's mods that are basically DLC packs.

4. Dandapatra

Dandapatra Active Member

I have to go with Skyrim, as there are so many mods! It's like having an endless amount of content and I really like it.

5. Nolan Watt

Nolan Watt Well-Known Member

I think Oblivion is the most pure of the Elder Scrolls games, but Skyrim is my personal favorite.

6. kmorrison2000

kmorrison2000 Member

Oblivion is the game i had the most fun with. The main storyline was far better than Skyrim's was and the game world was much more varied and interesting to me. I've played through the game four times and each time felt different, while with Skyrim this wasn't the case

7. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Well-Known Member

Skyrim is the only ES game I've played, so yeah. Skyrim FTW!

8. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Morrowind was the most memorable game in the series. Skyrim was the most beautiful of the series. I wish Skyrim would release more expansions and make it even more epic. I also wish that Skyrim had Morrowind's features, such as factions, ability to become a noble, reputation, etc. Also would have loved it if Skyrim allowed co-op up to 4 players. Playing single player is great, but it feels a bit lonely.

9. Robert89

Robert89 Member

I had the most fun with Oblivion by far. Just so much to do... looking back, it was a buggy mess and kinda crappy without mods... but I still loved it!

I think the objectively best game in the series is Morrowind though.

10. gadin210

gadin210 Well-Known Member

I loved skyrim! It was so much fun and my first real elder scrolls game, lame I know. So its not fair for me to pick a favorite. I did play oblivion, but not as avidly as skyrim

11. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oblivion is the correct answer, Skyrim is acceptable as an answer, and Elder Scrolls Online is the most wrong answer.

12. krab007

krab007 Member

Oblivion, hands down. The atmosphere was amazing, the world was expansive and colorful, the feeling of adventure was palpable and the experience felt much more enthralling. Skyrim lacked the magic that made Oblivion so special and the other three TES games are too archaic for me.

13. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Honestly, as much as I am aware that I will be in the minority here, I like Skyrim the most. Morrowind didn't sit too well with me, for.. no reason in particular, really, I just didn't like the feel of the game. And I found Oblivion to be awfully boring. It was mostly generic questing (which in itself isn't bad, but it was just so bland in Oblivion) mixed with random walking simulator to the gates.. Skyrim, though, I absolutely loved. It's funny, I can't really say what exactly it was that caught my eye with Skyrim, but I had so much fun with it!

14. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Member

Opinions will vary of course. And it will depend on how you are judging the game as to which one is better.

For depth of gameplay, more engaging major questlines, and a more colourful worldspace, I believe Oblivion is the better game.

For graphics, I would say Skyrim is better.

I am a little biased toward Oblivion since it is the first Elder Scrolls game I played. :p

15. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is a good series, and you know that because they keep making the games better rather than having to risk radicaly changes, they just keep adding small new things that make it more modern. There are games like Civilization and Heroes of Might and Magic where the developers paniced and changed too much, and made the game feel lost. ES was able to improve gameplay without alienating old players.

16. Thok

Thok Member

Oh my god Skyrim!!!! That game is amazing and beautiful. The thing that really puts it above the other Elder Scrolls games in the mod support. The users create content for you and then everyone can get it for free. Sounds like a win win to me. I don't understand why there aren't more games that make use of the mod community like Skyrim does.

17. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Skyrim for the win!. The reason why this game is the best because you can mod it and there are tons of mods. And the graphics are the best too.

18. Grimp

Grimp Member

If you really think about it Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are essentially the same game, just progressively updated in accordance with the avaliable technology. So, naturally, I would say Skyrim is the best Elder scrolls game, however, the one I enjoyed the most was Morrowind, as this was the first one I ever played, and I was young then so I was so much more easily able to immerse myself in the fantasy world. As for Elder Scrolls online, its a completely different game. As much as the lore might be the same, the game mechanics are disapointingly similar to every single other MMO out there.

19. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Well-Known Member

I enjoyed both Oblivion and Skyrim. I play Skyrim on my pc and have a few mods installed. I would have to say Skyrim is my favorite thus far. I never played Morrowind so I can't really comment on it. I'm thinking about trying the Elder Scrolls Online when I can pony up the dough for it.

20. Grimwad

Grimwad New Member

Skyrim's the only real answer here, right? The sheer scope of the game and the fascinating world puts it above the others in the series, in my opinion. Plus, dragons. Can't go wrong with dragons.