What is GW2 like? How different from GW1 is it? Am I too late?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars' started by AzureSparkle, Aug 1, 2015.

1. AzureSparkle

AzureSparkle New Member

I loved the first game, but I stopped as it started to get a bit same-y.

I was excited for the second, but then I saw just had different it was from the first one and that just put me off.

Is it worth buying at this point, or am I too late?

2. bobcat4848

bobcat4848 New Member

It's definently worth buying at this point. At this current time, you are able to buy the game along with the expansion pack that they are releasing called Heart of Thorns. If you get this game, you will most likely really enjoy the PvP aspect and PvE. There's so much to do on both spectrums. The game is still populated with many guilds. PvP has many different gamemodes such as stronghold, World vs. World ( which is essentially server vs server ), and structured pvp. I would highly recommend you join a guild once or close to level cap. I would also recommend joining the server Crystal Desert as it has the best community around the game.

3. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I can't really compare Guild Wars 1 to 2, as I never played the first game, but I from what I've heard, Guild Wars 1 was structured with multiple instances, while Guild Wars 2's worlds feels more like that of a traditional MMO.

As for Guild Wars 2 itself, it's a great game. The leveling and overall questing experience is some of the best in the genre, there's little filler and it's fun throughout. However, when I reached the level cap I found it hard to get the motivation to keep playing. From a PvE perspective, I found the game lacking at endgame. There's no super difficult raids or similar challenges, so I found myself bored. That being said, Guild Wars 2 has fantastic PvP gameplay, and if that's what you're into, it's bound to keep you interested for hours, and well, there's an expansion coming soon, so there's no better time to give it a try.

4. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

In my opinion you should refrain from buying the game until the new expansion comes out -- then it will definitely be worth buying in my opinion. The PvP aspects in this game is great and has a unique leveling style compared to other MMOs. One of my biggest complaints, however, is the lack of end-game content which is incredibly disappointing for such an intriguing game.

5. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I'm playing it quite a lot at the moment and soon there will be a new expansion coming and I really love it. The PvP world is really well done but in my opinion there are some problems regarding balancing with the elementalist that I think it's a bit too overpowered.

6. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

It's a day-and-night transition. Instanced zones turn to open world. Class branching (2 classes) turns into one class having an array of choices depending on weapons in hand. And this switches skill sets. No longer do you build your own skill bar, depending on the weapon/offhand you're using you make your characters attack kit.

Instead of closed worlds, can-vanquish-an-entire-zone, this game emphasizes the MMO aspect - they want you to group with people, and it does seemlessly for public events allowing you to drop in and out like a RIFT from RIFT. It's less story based (even though you have a personal story) but it has more lore with it then GW1, if you take time to read.

Whereas GW1 focuses on groups and mercenaries, GW2 focuses on the "Player". It's almost like a completely different game that just shares the same locations/lore then a sequel. Very worth buying, especially with the expansion fresh coming out.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's a really big difference between GW1 and GW2, as the others have said. A new expansion is coming out soon, so you're not too late! Give it a shot! :D

8. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Go for it haha. It's a good time to be jumping in since the game's expanding on content with the new expansion and the fun thing is that it's gonna explore Sylvari who have been kind of a mysterious focal point of GW2 so far.

9. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I just want more Maguuma Jungle and Oasis and such. I was always curious what happened over there.

As well as the Crystal Desert.

10. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

Meh, the whole game is "end game". You can basically go wherever you want and do whatever you want and it's fun no matter what's your level.

11. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

There isn't really a lack of things to do though. After 100% the map on my characters, WVW is still great. And some high end Fractals and Dungeons make it worthwhile.

12. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

Def not too late. Worth a pick up now in lieu of the coming new expansion. It's something you'd enjoy for literally hours on end.

13. Hoppit

Hoppit Member
    Regular

I think they are hard to compare because they are such different games. Guild Wars 1 was my first real MMO, and i still enjoy it to this day. What i liked most was the whole "party" aspect of the game, and the way you could make it harder/easier by taking more/less companions with you. I remember customizing and making A-teams out of my party members to go in and 4-man the hard end bosses like Abaddon on the hardest difficulty.

Also, the game was quite cheesy. Specialized specs that could do one thing, and if you did not have a direct counter you could become immortal (I am looking at you 55 hp monks, and enchantment stacking assassins).

14. Writeratyourservice

Writeratyourservice Well-Known Member
    Regular

I see.

15. Writeratyourservice

Regular

I see.

16. Writeratyourservice

Regular

I agree.