Darkfall What happened to this game?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by Artixion, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Artixion

Artixion Member

I remember it was completely hyped it around 2010. Why did it die down so much? It seems like there's only a few dedicated guilds still playing it and it doesn't seem new player friendly at all. Does anyone know what happened to the game?

2. Lokitns

Lokitns Member

It is not new player friendly in the slightest. If you venture out of most safe zones, you're pounced and killed pretty much instantly and lose all the gear you've worked to accumulate.

3. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

There are many players around but it is a much harder MMO to learn compared to WoW. I think a lot of new people quit eraly on so the playerbase has trouble growing.

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

It's one of those types of games the devs could do something about it if they wanted to expand their game, but I guess it's good enough for them.

5. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Game kind of died off after release. The playerbase never really hit it off. Most went back to WoW or other MMOs.

6. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I thought that game had a lot of potential. I followed it for awhile, after one of their devs spammed Thottbot. It was an odd situation.

Unfortunately, after it came out, I started getting reviews and reports in that the game was very imbalanced, tons of bugs, players dying too easily and just too difficult to get into the game far enough to enjoy it. Indeed, bugs do happen at the start of many game releases, even years after. So that's a big factor. The part about players dying too easily and too difficult to progress turned me off. The idea seems cool, but if it's that hard that so many people leave, then blah.

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The devs were just very immature and had no clue what they were doing. I logged in for the first time, and saw nothing except players attacking trees and other players shooting fireballs into the sky.... non-stop.. for hours and hours. Everyone was unattending macroing to raise skills, nobody was actually playing the game. They had these big overall plans ´open skills´ and ´world pvp´.. but their implementations of everything was horrible.

8. celinejulietdcosta

celinejulietdcosta Well-Known Member

I know:) It was the most hyped game. Seems like nobody is bothered about it now:O

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

I used to hear about it a lot on Reddit, and then BAM. Nothing. I liked it, they had brilliant ideas, but the way they treated the players was horrid.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

That was just it, they were never really game developers.. they were just a bunch of guys posting all over the place about how ´hardcore´ the game was. The gameplay was horrible, the skill system was so simple to exploit.. The world was big but boring, just pregenerated random map with no personality at all. The only thing the game had going for it was the devs kept spamming everywhere about hardcore pvp. The actual game was garbage.

11. Robert89

Robert89 Member

The re-release of Darkfall really wasn't that bad. I played it - I never played the original, so I'm not bitter or anything.

I had a lot of fun. Now, the combat was really terrible, but the way the game was structured was very unique and interesting. It was kind of like a more modern and much more hardcore Runescape. I love games where there's lots of different skills that you level up purely by using them. Also, the constant sense of danger from other players was awesome, along with other small things like avoiding friendly fire and taking long journeys on foot or horseback to get to places.

I wish a better developer made a game like that.

12. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

Well, the game fell apart because it wasn't that good. Especially with the battle system. If this game would have came out five years ago, it would have done well in its current state. But this one was a dinosaur the moment it was released. And with a market already saturated with similar games, being bad or even average doesn't allow you to survive.

13. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

^ gotta agree with the above, they released a good game that was out dated aimmed at a crowd of gamers that is very niche to begin with and they immediately took the stance of being a high priced, pay to play mmo. Which didn't workout because it wasn't very well done to begin with. Better luck next time.

14. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Disagree with this. the way the game was structured was not unique, all they did was copy the ruleset from the early days of UO... and UO changed those rules because they were not working. You cannot have a game where there are wolves and sheep... the sheep quit... and then you have fewer and fewer wolves, and they become unhappy because there are no sheep. The myth of this type of game is that the wolves want pvp... they do not.. they want pvp against people who do not want pvp (sheep).

15. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It really seemed to disappear into this air didn't it. I remember that there was a lot of hype surrounding it and a lot of people were talking about, especially on the chat boards, but I guess it never really amounted to anything substantial. It it did I assume we would have heard more about it.