Quantcast

What got you into RPG games?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by SereneAngel88, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

Grew up playing games on PC and consoles since my dad was a big nerd. So growing up with that kind of influence with my natural love for storylines- RPGs was a given.

2. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

I believe it war through a friends of mine. At first I watched them playing these RPG games and I decided to test myself and also ended up getting addicted to the game.

3. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I think RPG games have the unique ability to convey story and atmosphere at a level, few other genres can. They simply draw you in and don`t let you go until you finish the game. And that is exactly what I love most about these types of games.

4. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

The sense of freedom. It helped that my first RPGs were Deus Ex and Morrowind and not some junk.

5. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member Regular

My brother originally got me into RPG's with D&D. Then later we started playing Arctic Mud online. After that I graduated to some RPG's on consoles.

6. p4lse

p4lse Active Member Regular

The very first time I payed this game called Legend of Zelda, I got myself completely immersed in it as there was so much going on in just a single game. It took me almost a year to complete it and that is what triggered my interest in gaming.

7. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

First time watching and seeing the older kids in grade school and middle school got me hooked on Runescape when I was younger. Not only was it an awesome looking medieval game with armor and swords, but also the older kids were playing it which made it cool.

8. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Gothic 3. It came around the time Oblivion came out and a friend and I agreed to buy both games even though we both wanted to play Oblivion and then switch freely after finishing the game. Well, I got Gothic 3 and couldn't stop playing it. It was actually my first time playing an RPG and I was mesmerized. To this day I heap praise on that game.

9. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, that game was so good. I was skeptical when it came out (it was my first Gothic and sadly, the new spin off just didn't do it for me), I mean the combat just seemed so clunky. But once you realised how it worked, it was a wonder. I was running around beating up NPCs for no reason whatsoever. The only other game that gives me a similar feel is Mount & Blade, but it uses mouse directions, not buttons to aim the attack.

10. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Hah, that's so weird that Gothic 3 was both of our first Gothic game when it's a clear sequel and the story is very continuous. What I like about Gothic is that it's so huge and everywhere you go, you get a sense of a big overarching plot, but it doesn't constrain you. You can do a lot everywhere you go. I haven't played Mount & Blade (I know, I know), but Skyrim is another game which gave me such a sense.

11. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member Regular

The first game that got me interested in pursuing RPG games was elder scrolls: Skyrim and Fable. The graphics were really what captivated me. I also enjoyed the surreal scenaries. What's also great about RPG games is that you can control your characters faith and make the do things like normal people do in real life.

12. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member Regular

I was bored in a September day, and decided I'd try Skyrim. Never felt anything better being played on my PC, to be honest.

13. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Final Fantasy VII was one of the first RPG I've played. I've played it for the story, the tactical turn based battles that were different from anything I've played before, and of course the music. So that's the reason, because I find them enjoyable. :p
    If we're talking western RPGs Baldur's Gate the very first game I've played. So... everything good about that game is the reason I still play them. :p

14. sofia_sky

sofia_sky Member Regular

I played FF7 back when it came out, but never truly got into RPGs until FF8 came out, which was the first FF game I ever beat. Final Fantasy is also the reason why I lean more towards JRPGs, but I also enjoy Western RPGs like Mass Effect (2 being the best) and Skyrim

15. leahcim132

leahcim132 Well-Known Member Regular

When my school friends invited me to play Maplestory a long time ago. We used to do party quests everyday and train together. Nowadays I'm playing games like LoL and Diablo. I guess the co-op aspect of RPG games got me into the game in general.

16. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member Regular

My husband is the reason I got into RPG games. When we first started dating, we would usually stay in at his place and play Diablo or Final Fantasy on Playstation. The rest, as they say, is history. Since then, we've played WoW together, he's kept up with the Final Fantasy franchise, and there has even been some dabbling in Star Wars as well.

Now, he hangs out with our oldest daughter and they play games together. The family that games together, stays together?

17. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I think it was Runescape, years ago? All my friends played it at the time, so of course I jumped on the wagon with them. That was back when it was browser based only, lol.

18. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

Probably Pokemon as it was the first RPG I ever played, but I was playing Pokemon Yellow at an age where I didn't really know what the different genres of video games were. (Outside of the obvious such as racing games). I just knew it was a great game.

However the first RPG that I knew was an RPG and loved it because of it was Dark Cloud. I used to play the ever living hell out of the demo on the boxed demo disc and because I didn't get a computer and internet connection til much later in my life. I had to wait months for it to appear in a store.

I had to do the same for its sequel Dark Chronicle even when I did get an internet connection in the house, It just never occurred to me to search, I didn't even go on amazon. The computer was just a Youtube and word processing machine to me when I was 12 lol.

19. RumbarBrook

RumbarBrook Active Member Regular

My first RPG was Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. While it is the most bare bones example of the genre, it is still an RPG at heart. Shortly after, I was introduced to Paper Mario. I loved the storytelling and leveling system of the game. I have been in love with the genre ever since.

20. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

The first RPG I ever played was Dragon Warrior, and I had no idea what I was doing. Not a clue. My brother maxed out a character and I would wander Tantagel at random, killing things without any appreciation of the combat system or the plot. A few years later I played Final Fantasy IV on the SNES, but again, it didn't really grasp me too firmly. It took a liiiiittle bit more maturity, coupled with Final Fantasy VI, to really get me hooked. Chrono Trigger came out not long after, and Secret of Mana was in there somewheres, and that was it for me.