What difficulty do you play Metro on?

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by VanillaToshi, Nov 9, 2012.

?

What difficulty do you play Metro on?

1. Easy

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Normal

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Hardcore

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Ranger Easy

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  5. Ranger Hardcore

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I think there's already a thread/poll on this but i'm not sure.

I play Ranger Hardcore every time because it's how I think a game like Metro should be played :)

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

I played it four times on easy and a half on Ranger Hardcore. It's really interesting how the game not only becomes more difficult, but also much more realistic, when you play on a harder difficulty. The place where you first meet bandits, and Bourbon just hides in a corner while you take them all out... They detect you way too easily, and they immediately raise their guns and shoot if they spot you. That's on Easy. On Ranger Hardcore, they don't see you that easily. They're around a light campfire which blinds their sight, and you're hiding in the shadows.

When I did this, I hid behind a crate and spectated them. Suddenly, I heard a voice behind me saying "Huh?", and I was like *Freeze* "...Shit....", then I turned around to see a bandit right behind me who looked at me. I just sat there very still, not moving at all until he raised his rifle, then I shot him. On Easy, he would have immediately shot me when coming around the corner.

Nevertheless, I'm not a hardcore gamer. I don't get the "I'm the best"-feeling by playing a game which is difficult. I get that feeling by owning big time, which is only on Easy. It's a fake feeling, because the game is letting me win. I know it, but I still like it better than to try to handle the extreme difficulty. No matter how difficult it is, I will always feel frightened when it's difficult.

3. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, i usually play on Ranger Easy.
    I finished the game quite some times on Ranger Hardcore, but i'm lazy and in a normal playthrough i don't want to play with too much effort.

The main thing that makes me play on such difficuly is the over-abundance of ammo.
    When i get to the Nanchino tower on Easy or Normal mod, i have something like 500 bullets for the AK....without counting MGRs and ammo for the other guns.

I like the feeling of having to count the bullets you shoot.

4. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

That happens on Ranger Hardcore for me. If you sell Andrew's volt driver and auto shotgun for duplets, then get the hellsing in the "Frontline" levet, you earn so many bullets you have enough for the entire game.
    And yes, I do play on Ranger Hardcore, because I hate having to shoot the enemy 6 or 7 times to kill him.

5. STALKER_2012

STALKER_2012 Well-Known Member

I finished it on every difficulity except Difficult and Ranger Easy.

6. VanillaToshi

If I want to make lots of money with minimal effort I sell the Volt driver from the first mission with Bourbon and then sell Andrews Volt driver and Heavy shotgun. Usually though I don't bother doing that because there's no need.

I just play Ranger Hardcore because it's more realistic and atmospheric.
    It's actually quite easy, the only enemies which you could consider a challenge are humans because their aim is ridiculously good and guns kill you almost straight away.

I've completed Metro on every difficulty other than easy and ranger easy.

I strongly disagree with Skaara though in that the enemy AI is slower to react on Ranger Hardcore. If anything they're quicker and their aim is like 100x better.

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This and this. Exact same reasons why I play on Ranger Hardcore; it feels so much better, more immersive, more atmospheric, more realistic, more challenging, more satisfying and more entertaining than playing on any other difficulty.

Btw, I don't think Skaara meant that the AI is slower on Ranger Hard, but just that human enemies behave more like real people would and aren't robotic like on Easy.

8. VanillaToshi

I might play through the whole game on Ranger hardcore using only the Duplet (Although I might use throwing knives too since i'm awesome with them if I do say so myself ;)). Already done the "Cowboy playthrough".

9. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Lately,i've stareted playing without Revolver...

10. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Duplet? DUPLET?!?!?! DUUUUPLEEEETTT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm sorry. I love the Duplet. If you've noticed, all Rangers carry the Duplet with their pack because it's an awesome fucking gun. I usually choose the "Ulman Loadout", alla VSV and Duplet. Good stuff.

11. VanillaToshi

I used to use the Uboyneg all of the time if I wanted a shotgun but I've recently started playing with the Duplet and I love it. Open fire on patrol walking past, kill 2 or more guys depending on the spread of the shot, intense reload, repeat. It's also very good for conserving ammo if you're good at aiming without a crosshair and sights due to the fact you can only fire two shots before a reload and it's super powerful.

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Uboyeng? Damn, that sounds so weird to me. In the Polish version it is called an Uboinik. :lol:

13. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

It's officially called the Uboinik, there was a pretty big argument on the wiki over it :D

14. VanillaToshi

I still call it the Uboyneg because that's what it's called in the booklet for the game. It doesn't really matter what it's called as long as you know what it is. I could say revolver shotgun or auto shotty and you'd understand :p

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I'm just not used to that name for it, but yes, it is obvious what is meant by uboyeng so I don't mind what people call it. :)

16. VanillaToshi

I know, I wasn't trying to make a point :p

17. Crossing

Crossing Well-Known Member

My first time through, I'm playing on normal, as I tend to with most games. I'm thinking of doing a Ranger Hardcore playthrough, once my PC can run the game on maximum settings.

18. Skaara Dreadlocks

Maan, out of thirteen voters, I am the only one who plays on easy! xD

19. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

To each his own. ;)