What did you think of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV & Music' started by Bamul, Dec 15, 2012.

?

What did you think of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?

1. It was absolutely brilliant with very few flaws.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. It was a very good film.

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. It was decent, but there's room for improvement.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. It was disappointing; I hope that the next two will be better.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. I want my money back.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

For those of you who have seen it: what did you think of the first Hobbit film? Please vote in the poll above and feel free to leave a comment too.

Personally, I couldn't really find any significant flaws with it except for two. One was the overuse of CGI; I actually think that they used CGI in the movie to great effect, but I preferred seeing Goblins and Orcs played by "heavily-modified" actors (as they were in Lord of the Rings) instead of animations. :p Still, everything looks badass and I'm not complaining about how it was used, just that in my opinion, there was too much of it. :)

The second problem was the weird motion blur. Any shots from further away that involved a lot of movement were quite blurry and hurt my eyes. I got used to it later though and this could just be a flaw with the cinema I went to see it at (or the higher frame rate which the movie was shot in - who knows).

Apart from those two issues, I thought it was an absolutely brilliant film. It ends on a sort of cliffhanger and now I can't wait for the next two parts... they have a lot to live up to and I hope they can deliver. :D

2. RedJacketMan

RedJacketMan Well-Known Member

I thought it was great! Its a great book and, even though a lot was added from outside sources, it was mostly faithful. Wish it was more faithful, but whatever was added was done to good effect. I saw it in 3D, which I don't like, and it was still really awesome.

I do agree that there was too much CGI. The orcs and goblins were much scarier in Lord of the Rings because their ugliness was more real. Still, it was done awesomely and everything DID look badass.

Though I do wish the goblins put up a better fight.

I can't wait for the next two parts! I liked the ending of the film. And I can't wait to see Smog (who's played by Benedict Cumberbatch).

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

The stuff they added was actually taken from Tolkien's other written works which were released outside of The Hobbit, but took place at the same time, shortly after or before it. :D I thought it was a great idea to do that.

4. VietnamVeteran

5. VietnamVeteran

6. Denrovo2

Denrovo2 Member

awesome movie!

7. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Entertaining, but too psyched up for my tastes.

8. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Indeed. I was dying to see those Orks like in the LotR Trilogy.I didn't like those CGI ones.
    However, speaking more generally, i quite appreciated the fact Jackson has been able to detach the style of this film from the LoTr films.
    The former is more like a fairy tale in Tolkien's view, while the latter is more like an Epic adventure, not unlike medieval Quests (Chrètien de Troyes and so on).
    I very much appreciated this distinction between the 2 atmospheres.

9. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I watched it at the cinema ages ago and the only things that bothered me are mentioned here. The fact that it didn't seem quite as serious as the first two if you understand me, is what also put me off a little bit but i'm not complaining since it's based on a kids book whereas LOTR is more mature. Although I heard that the original Hobbit book came as a trilogy too?

10. Jastreb

Jastreb Active Member

I got bored after watching them spending literally 45+ minutes in that small house, and then i stopped watching it...