What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by DarkOne, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

[​IMG]
    Since I don't read comic books/graphic novels often, I thought I'd mention The Witcher: House of Glass here. I got the print version of issues 1-5 packed into a "volume 1". At first I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't feel like something from the Wiedźmin world considering the American authors, but my fears were put to rest as I started reading it and got really hooked in. This is a great graphic novel and it has a very nice atmosphere that makes it feel like the original short stories. The art style is pretty good as well. It looks like they worked closely with CD Projekt on this; I highly recommend it to all fans of the saga and games, as well as those who are only just getting into the trilogy (the comic gives you a good idea of what it means to be na wiedźminśkim szlaku and the adventures one might experience during this).

EDIT: Wait, why is this thread in "Movies, TV & Music"? :p

2. Not enough interest to get it's own subforum.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

You're right, but I have to say it's a bit sad and quite ironic considering that the Metro 2033 series started off as books. :eek:hwell:

4. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

The Last Wish, which is the first Witcher book. It's very cool, I gotta say. All the folktales that we usually know are somehow twisted and they are told in unexpected ways. It's also a very funny book sometimes.

I'm also reading Ubik, from the author that wrote the book from which Blade Runner was inspired. It's a time travel story, the likes of which I've never seen before. Very unique.

5. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

[​IMG]

This book is quite good. It is a short read (something a little over 100 pages), but it something one can finish in an evening since the words are larger than most printed text. I'd say that, if you're into Chernobyl, Pripyat, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., then this book would be a good read for you.

9/10

-----------------------

[​IMG]

They made of a movie of this book. It's about a man who finds a mail carrier's outfit, in a post-apocalyptic United States, and decides to redistribute postage through what remaining settlements are left. I think the movie is better, though :eek:hwell:. It's an alright novel.

6/10

6. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I began reading metro 2034. Izz good O__O
    I remember having read several reviews, about the book, that said that it was very similar to its predecessor, metro 2033, and it wasn't much of a step forward from events in the first novel. I can see some resemblance; but, I guess since it's been so long since I've handled metro material (book or game) I'm just glad to get something from the franchise. I my opinion, I think it's a good book so far. It is noticeably thinner (about half) from Metro 2033 novel, though.

has anyone gotten the chance to read metro 2035 yet?

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

The Polish version has been sitting on my shelf for almost two months now but I haven't opened it yet. :p

8. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Bamul! Read the book, you :laugh:

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I know I should, I was really hyped for it earlier. However, I've yet to finish the previous Universe of Metro 2033 novel that I started reading (I was blasting through it until the trip to Poland, then there were so many distractions and now I can't get back into it, plus more uni work is just round the corner).

Most of the stuff I've been reading recently is related to my uni course so it probably wouldn't be very interesting to yous. However, I did find a gem in a comic book store recently. Plus I don't read comics that often (last time it was the Witcher one I posted about in late 2014), so that's another reason to mention it.

So, I found a hardcover version of this for just 5 quid. Not only is that really cheap for a comic collection in the UK, it's also something that is fairly rare as it has been out of print for years. I was very happy to find it because it covers one of the Star Wars Expanded Universe eras that always seemed pretty interesting to me (you can read more about the Legacy series in general here).

It was a nice bit of light reading that I could get into and finish quick, so it was easy to fit it in-between the stuff I've had to study. Was pretty good as well, I'm tempted to seek out the other ones now, but they won't be as cheap. The reason why I got this for only 5 quid was because they found a crate of new copies in a warehouse years after it was printed - this was the last one left.

10. NuclearWastE3

Regular

More than understandable, though :p The only other metro book that I've read was the first one; so I'm not burnt out on the novel franchise yet (not that you are) but I could imagine it might be overwhelming knowing that there are still x-number of books left to read and you're just attempting to read through them all. Besides, I've already stopped reading 2034 due to school too :D

I don't mind hearing (reading) about it :) Was psychology the field you were concentrating your studies in?

Sweet! Nice find. I haven't been to a comic store in ages, but I wonder if they would have the ones you're looking for over here....:spy:? You could probably snag some, for a cheap price, off of Ebay.

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Sociology, so you were close (and some of our topics are related to psychology, just with less biological stuff and a greater focus on the social aspects).

12. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Sweeeeeeet :whoo:
    What career, in sociology, are you pursuing?

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

No idea. :lol:

14. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Bamul, I'm not sure how much you're into comic books (though, your previous mention of them in this thread will lead me to conclude that you enjoy them, to an extent). Anyway, I've been reading the DC comic (in my case, graphic novel) of "The Watchmen." I think it's something you might enjoy (or anyone else on this forum, for that matter). They also made a movie several years ago and it was quite good from what I remember. I'm planning on re-watching it when I'm done reading the comic.

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I think that's probably the best way to sum it up - I enjoy them to an extent and own a few, but can't say I'm an enthusiast collector or anything. The Watchmen are great, but the movie isn't anywhere near as good in my opinion and kinda misses the point of the comic (though it's not bad either, I found it enjoyable). You might like Moore's other famous work - V for Vendetta.

16. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I've seen V for Vendetta, and I thought it was kind of weird :p However, I was pretty young when I saw it; so, I don't think I understood it as well as I should have at the time. But I will keep an eye out for the comic.

17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, one again, the movie isn't quite the same as the comic, but it was still a nice watch in my opinion.

18. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I bought a whole bunch of Discworld Novels and i am enjoying them immensely, i would recommend the "Nights watch" series the most

19. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I've been reading the grail quest recently by bernard cornwell, if you're into medievel history and the hundred years war, they're really good

20. Stalker Bar

Stalker Bar Well-Known Member

Just finished Metro 2034
    Really hoping that Metro 2035 gets released in Spanish or English soon.