What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by cerberus, Sep 26, 2012.

1. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

^ Speaking of AC, I was just about to post a question for a change regarding the PSVita title ACIII: Liberation. I have never played an AC game in my life but the setting, story & character of Liberation appeal to me a great deal! However, both user & critic reviews have been mentioning several keywords that make it sound like this game is broken. I don't own a Vita but I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on how the game runs?

2. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

3. cerberus

Like FNV?! Now there's a gaming experience I can do without. No Vita for Cerberus.

---

Dusted off the PSP and started playing MediEvil: Resurrection & Killzone: Liberation again. Having played and enjoyed both original MediEvil games on ps1, I remember yearning for a third game. After all, the ps1 had a bunch of great trilogies (Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Wipeout, Colony Wars, etc.) and MediEvil 3 would've fit in nicely. Alas, it never came. Then, out of the blue, a PSP exclusive remake was announced for the European launch of the system. Picked it up a bit later, completed it once and curiously never looked back. I had forgotten how fun MediEvil: Resurrection was. There's decent and intentionally over-the-top voice-acting, a spoonful of British humour, a truly mesmerizing soundtrack by Andrew Barnabas and it preserved the very Burton-esque art style from the previous two games. But now I also remember why I never looked back after completing it: the experience is ruined by severe framerate issues and a highly unreliable camera. Shame...
    Killzone: Liberation. Every game nowadays has you wielding guns and pretending to be the ultimate soldier. Few of them are able to successfully implement a strategic element that makes the experience worthwile. Even though I strongly dislike military shooters in general, the reason the Killzone series appealed to me in the first place is because of the Helghast enemy design, or “Space Nazis” as some like to call them. With Liberation, the appeal luckily goes a bit deeper than mere aesthetics. What we have here is a fun, smart and tough-as-balls strategic shooter built from the ground up with the PSP hardware in mind and I don't understand why developer Guerrilla Games never went back to this type of game. As far as I'm concerned, this truly is one of the best PSP titles ever created.

#103 cerberus, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I've actually heard plenty of good things about Liberation from gamers, but who knows. Critics tend to follow trends and their opinion does not necessarily reflect your own. Or, at least, you won't know if it does until you've played the game yourself. Best way is to just buy what you think looks good, as long as you're really excited for it and have the money. Anyway, Vita costs a crapload right now. I wouldn't buy it unless there were at least ten games I'd want to play on it... even then I wouldn't buy it, because I can't afford it. :lol:

Btw, NV was actually the best Fallout game since Fallout 2. It was much less buggy on the PC and it's more than playable now after many patches. If you haven't finished it because of its bugs, I highly recommend it now that it's been mostly fixed (especially if you're a fan of the themes, humour, nom-linearity and atmosphere of the first two Fallout games).

#104 Bamul, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  5. cerberus

I've learned my lesson with the PSP, Bamul. Bought it at launch, own less than ten games for the system... The Vita only has two games that really appeal to me so there's no way I'm making the same mistake.

I saw it through to the end and got full GS for the 360 version of F:NV. Adored the story & characters but even with the 16mb patch my entire playthrough was a nightmare. Never again.

6. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

Haha, Attention to detail, like how the T28 preforms as a 'fast' tank, while in RL it was a slow, Heavy breakthough tank?

WOT's does have some things done real well, but the teiring system, Hit-points and the major historical problems really ruin it for the most part, and the horrible Armour calculations!

Its fine in lower teir battles, but in teir 6+ it seams really horrible to me...

7. STALKER_2012

STALKER_2012 Well-Known Member

I'm currently playing Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalker 2013 and Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam and Assassin's Creed III on my Xbox.

8. GloomyOrchid

GloomyOrchid Member

Still on Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl.

9. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

DayZ for the moment. I'm having great fun, only bad thing is I died yesterday (grenades roll downhill, and you can't move for 3 seconds, which is the fuse time). I still have one truck as I lost the other, and a boat.

10. Skaara Dreadlocks

I've played DayZ recently as well, but I'm on a break for the time being. Seriously, I and two other friends of mine have been chased by a chopper while driving a bus. We've travelled an insanely long distance, and through all of this, I haven't died even once. We've got some serious bigass badass weapons and equippment. A bus, a Toyota offroad pickup, a bike, two tents, loads of food, water and ammo. Each our sniper, each our heavy rifle, each our pistol. We've gotten insanely far :D

11. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Torn between getting the dayz standalone ir red orchestra 2. What do you guys recommend?

12. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Try out DayZ.

I wish there was a mod that put the Metro mutants into STALKER. Imagine running through the bog being chased by a pack of nosalises or a demon? Sounds intense, and I feel like packs of watchers would be a nice touch to the zone. If only I could make that happen... They would fit into Misery quite nicely.

13. cerberus

Got Motorstorm: Arctic Edge (PSP) for less than a tenner. Impulse buy, my first and only Motorstorm game. I'm not a big racing fan and the Wipeout series is the only one I've been really interested in since the very beginning (Wipeout 3 Special Edition being my all-time favourite).
    Arctic Edge is exactly what I've been craving for: simple, clean, fast-paced racing fun. ON ICE! :D Graphics are very impressive for a PSP title but the dreamlike controls & smooth framerate are this game's true assets. Mediocre soundtrack though but luckily there's custom soundtrack support!

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I would say carefully consider your options before getting either. I've played Red Orchestra 2 and (apart from action mode) it is quite possibly the best multiplayer shooter I've ever played, but it's something many people don't like. Many think it's too realistic (I think it's just right - a mixture of fun and realism, without going too far into either direction). On the other hand, although I've never played DayZ, I can tell you that ArmA is a bit of a bitch to play. It's quite complicated and requires a lot of time and dedication that many don't have, but once you do get into it - I'm sure it's great fun.

I'm guessing DayZ is very similar since it is running on the same engine, but with more survival elements and zombies. :lol: So, whilst anyone who hasn't played one of these will probably recommend the other to you and vice versa; I'm not going to follow the trend, and tell you that you should really think if both of these are the types of game experiences that you'd like. Both are quite unique and different to most other shooters out there. ;)

15. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

^
    So the solution is to buy both. Dang why am I so poor.

16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yes, that would also solve the problem with choosing - but as always, money is restricting. :(

17. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

I'm picking up Halo 4 tomorrow. Really excited actually, I've heard good things about the story, as well as the campaign. Anyone else getting it?

18. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I've never really been into HALO, mostly because I don't have an XBOX, but I've started liking Master Chief, because he is the only truly legendary modern games icon. So if I had an XBOX, yes. But for the moment, no.

19. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Really? There are plenty of other, much cooler, smarter and more awesome video game protagonists out there (Geralt of Rivia or Connor from Assassin's Creed III, for example). :p That said, Halo is pretty cool. Combat Evolved was badass and the sequel was great too. It's a shame the rest never came to PC. However, from what I played of ODST's and Reach's multiplayer at my friend's house, it seems like they're really nothing special; not even comparable to the first two (or, well, at least their online components). Heard Halo 3 and 4 are amazing... then again, you used to hear that CoD4 and its numerous sequels were amazing too. :lol: In the end, I just wish I could experience the other Halo games without having to pay shitloads of money for another gaming system. :(

20. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Halo 3 was garbage compared to its predecessors, but that's thinking comparatively, it' still a decent game.

Halo ODST was possibly one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played, besides Metro 2033 of course. Just wandering the city alone and looking for clues of your missing squad mates really got me into the game, I don't know about you guys.

Halo Reach was great for me. Awesome singleplayer and story, with the gameplay being only slightly messed up by your squad's utter retardation.