Whаt gаmеs аrе likе Wоrld оf Wаrсrаft but hаvе rеlеаsеd mоrе rесеntly ?

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by Green67, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Green67

Green67 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Whаt gаmеs аrе likе Wоrld оf Wаrсrаft but hаvе rеlеаsеd mоrе rесеntly ?

2. Benoit W

Benoit W Well-Known Member
    Regular

If I undеrstаnd yоu соrrесtly, likе mаny оf us, yоu'rе struggling tо find аnоthеr gаmе likе Wоrld оf Wаrсrаft. Thе аnswеr tо thаt is, thеrе аrе mаny. Pеrsоnаlly, I find mysеlf visiting Stаr Trеk оnlinе аnd Stаr Wаrs: Thе оld Rеpubliс оftеn. еасh оf thеm hаvе intеrеsting stоry аrсs. аs fаr аs mаturity gоеs, I'd hаvе tо sаy Biоwаrе's Thе оld Rеpubliс (TоR) is сlоsеr tо Blizzаrd's Wоrld оf Wаrсrаft. аll оf thе gаmеs hаvе а sоlid fаn bаsе thаt kееp thе gаmеs intеrеsting. еvеn thоugh TоR is frее tо plаy, I dо highly rесоmmеnd subsсribing аs thеrе аrе mаny fеаturеs thаt еnhаnсе gаmеplаy unlосkеd whеn yоu dо sо. Kееp in mind, my list is vеry shоrt аnd is fосusеd tо pеrsоnаl оpiniоn.

3. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd really like to find a game that's comparable to World of Warcraft as well. I keep hearing that so many games are WoW clones, but I've yet to find one that really compares.

The original game and the first couple of expacs of World of Warcraft were great. The Cataclysm destroyed more than the game world. In my opinion, it destroyed the game. Well, it was the beginning of the end at least.

I'd love to find something similar to play.

4. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member
    Regular

It dеpеnds оn whаt yоu mеаn with "likе Wоrld оf Wаrсrаft". WоW is аn MMо аnd thеrе аrе mаny MMо's bеing rеlеаsеd еvеry mоnth. аnd dоn't fоrgеt thаt thе еxpаnsiоn tо WоW саllеd Lеgiоn is соming оut 2016-08-30.
    If yоu likе MMоRPGs I'd rесоmmеnd yоu tо сhесk оut: mmоrpg.соm. Thеrе yоu саn find lоts оf MMо gаmеs.

5. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member
    Regular

Tо givе yоu sоmе inspirаtiоn:
    Blасk Dеsеrt оnlinе: BDо wаs rесеntly rеlеаsеd in thе wеst аnd hаs bесоmе еxtrеmеly pоpulаr. If yоu likе оpеn wоrld соnсеpts this might bе fоr yоu
    оthеr gаmеs: Bеsidеs WоW, sоmе оf thе wоrld's mоst pоpulаr MMоs inсludе StаrWаrs: Thе оld Rеpubliс, Guild Wаrs 2 аnd Finаl Fаntаsy XIV. аll thоsе thrее gаmеs hаs а lоt оf similаritiеs tо WоW.

6. thisnthat

Regular

Technically, WoW is an MMORPG. Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. It's a huge game with millions of players.

The expac came out last August. I didn't buy it. I'm not sure I will either. That's why I'm hoping to find something else that's maybe comparable to WoW.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm on an MMORPG forum now. It seemed like the place to ask. ;)

#6 thisnthat, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  7. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would probably say that Guild Wars is the one that might be closest, but I have not really played any of the others that were mentioned all that much. Star Wars was not that great though.

8. thisnthat

Regular

How is the PvP in Guild Wars? Is it pretty balanced? What about competitive?

Guild Wars is one of the ones I heard called a WoW clone, but it really never seemed the same to me. I mean, I guess there are similarities, but at the same time, it seems different. I guess nothing is going to be just like WoW.

9. Belovedad

Belovedad Well-Known Member
    Regular

Maybe you can try Runescape. More specifically Runescape 3. Not a fan of it but since you mentioned WOW, it's closer to it that old school Runescape which I like.

10. thisnthat

Regular

I've never played it before, but I heard it is fun. I may have to give it a try.

What are the major differences between Runescape 3 and the original version? I heard that a lot of people like the old school game and that it is once again supported. I'm happy for the people who like Runescape that they can play the version they enjoy most.

I really wish Blizzard would release legacy servers. If I could go back to old school WoW, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

11. Belovedad

Regular

Runescape 3 is like a whole different game in my opinion. I haven't played it too much as I'm more familiarized with the older version. People tend to prefer it because RS made it's community on it but normally new generation players tend to prefer RS3.

12. thisnthat

Regular

That makes total sense to me being a legacy WoW player. Part of what I miss is the original community. I can see why Runescape players might feel the same way. Old school gamers don't seem to have much in common with the new generations, no matter which game it is.

It's interesting to see how much things change. I feel like the 'new' version of WoW isn't the same game at all either.

13. Belovedad

Regular

It seems to apply to most games. If I recently start playing a game now, I really have no interest in how it used to be because I obviously like what I am playing currently but at the same time, I don't like too much change so if that game evolved again, I'd be in the same position again.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that I need to start playing RunEscape again for a little bit just to remind myself. I keep hearing it being mentioned and have not played forever.

15. thisnthat

Regular

Yeah, I get that. I would probably feel the same way. I guess it's just a kick in the butt, because I invested a lot into World of Warcraft. I played it for several years. I spent a lot of time and even a good deal of money on it. I did get a lot of enjoyment out of it too, don't get me wrong.

I guess I just miss those good times, and I would like to be able to continue them. World of Warcraft just doesn't have the same formula any more though. It isn't designed with team building in mind any longer.

pwarbi likes this.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member
    Regular

When people say they no longer like to play World of Warcraft, that tends to be the main reason right there what you have said, it's changed beyond all recognition. I think we all accept that a game and especially one that's been going as long as this one has will need to change and evolve, but over the years WoW as been transformed slowly into something that barely resembles what it used to be, and maybe more importantly, why we first started playing it in the first place and that's a shame.

thisnthat likes this.
  17. Belovedad

Regular

It's always hard to drop games that you've spent money on. You'll eventually do it if you just can't play the game anymore. That has happened to me on a good amount of occasions. Most games these days focus on graphics more than game play and it sucks.

pwarbi likes this.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member
    Regular

What I also find worse is when you are a huge fan of a game that USED to focus on the game play but after recent changes it looks as though the game developers have run out of ideas, so then just simply update a games graphics and call it a new release.

Where World of Warcraft is concerned for an example, I do think that the changes that have been made have been appropriate and they have attracted new followers, but that as come at the expense of losing some of the more dedicated followers that have been there from the start, and that's a shame.

Surely they could have made the changes without compromising the whole series, and when it comes to the newer games that have been released I don't think that they will still be around in 20 years time like World of Warcraft, simply because while the games look good and have a short term appeal, they do lack substance when it comes to the game play and the storyline in my opinion.

thisnthat likes this.
  19. Belovedad

Regular

That's kind of the reason why I drifted away from games that have 'constant updates'. Only thing that changes with them is my fps. Only game that updates a lot that I play now is League of Legends and though the community is trash, you have to give the staff credit for constant new content.

20. thisnthat

Regular

I agree with nearly everything you have said in this thread. It really isn't the same game any more, sadly. Not even close.

I still don't understand why they sacrificed one audience for another. I guess the new kids are easier to please. The older players know how good the game can be and hold them to a higher standard.

They don't seem to care much about game play or FUN any more. They just try to get away with as little content as possible and stretch that as far as they can. It's boring.

I also hate the fact that you can now play the entire game from start to end boss without communicating with another soul. One of the great things about the game was making friends, in my opinion.

pwarbi likes this.