weapons from the book

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by MickeysMaltLiquer, Jul 16, 2012.

1. MickeysMaltLiquer

Okay, so after much searching (If this has been done already then it apparently was not enough searching) I was disappointed that there was not details on the weapons from the book itself. I have a some decent firearms knowledge being former military, so I figured I'd take a whack at describing what I can figure out. This is a work in progress so let me know your input as well as anything I may have missed.

In semi-order of appearance:

Artyom's starting weapon, described as a Machine gun, or as Bourbon calls it: A balalaika (a stringed instrument) likely a RPK or RPD, though I believe it is an RPK as there is no mention of it being belt fed, and Artyom's requested payment from Bourbon is two magazines worth of Ammunition. Also carried by the Ranger who accompanies Artyom to the library, only described as "Light Machine Gun." Both guns are chambered in 7.62X39

RPK being used by Iraqi Army to miss everything:
    [​IMG]

RPD from the movie sniper, do not watch this movie!
    [​IMG]

Balalaika (now you can understand why Bourbon made the joke):
    [​IMG]

Scheckin APS, Hunter's side arm, fully auto 9x18mm, basicly a Makarov on steriods. described by name.

[​IMG]

AK-47, Multiple mentions.

Makarov PM, mentioned first in the story told to Artyom of the military group who encountered a member with the plague, the officer in the story was said to draw his Makarov. 9X18mm, very reliable firearm. Abundant in the US now.

Makarov:
    [​IMG]

Bourbon's Rifle, Okay, this one is a little tougher, It seems it is likely an AK-74 variant, but one with a shorter barrel like a krinkov/AK-74U (Or Bourbon shortened it himself) 5.45X39

Aks-74U showing attachment's it can use.
    [​IMG]

Tokarev (TT-33). This one was a close catch, the man who runs through the tunnel with Artyom and Khan, I cannot recall his name, but the handgun he carries is never described in detail, however when Khan returns the gun to the man, he also tosses a magazine Marked TT. 7.62x25, weird ass calibur.

A Romanian Tokarev:
    [​IMG]

SMG, the SMG Artyom receives when rescued by the communists, This one I can only speculate that it might be a Bizon, or PPSH, though I am not confident of either. The Bizon is chambered in 9x18mm Mak, while the PPSH is 7.62x25 Tok

Bizon or PP-19:
    [​IMG]

DSHK Machine gun, the mounted weapon(s) at the station who's ceiling is open to the surface, as well as a couple other locations. 12.7x108mm

DSHK in afganistan:
    [​IMG]

AK-74M, Folding stock variant given to Artyom at Polis before the Library. 5.45X39

AK-74m
    [​IMG]

Dragunov SVD (Pointed out by Komodo Saurian)

SVD:
    [​IMG]

Pecheneg (Pointed out by teddy picker)

PKP pecheneg:
    [​IMG]

Flamethrower, described in the story of the rats. (as KLMKsunbunny mentioned this could very well have been made pre-apocalypse, but the photo is too awesome)

...Some guy actually did this
    [​IMG]

That is all I have been able to speculate on so far. Let me know what I missed or if you think this list may have inaccuracies. May I make notice that at no point is a US made .44 magnum mentioned...

#1 MickeysMaltLiquer, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  2. Spitfire777

Spitfire777 Member

First of all , sorry poor english , im braziliam .

the RPD started getting out from service between 68-70 , so have a small possibility of being a RPD , because the soviet unions sended lots to other countries and they saved only few for reserve , but in military bases . The light mg can be a weapon made from scratch , like Bastard or a Duplet , or a modified weapon .

3. dahksinol

dahksinol Well-Known Member

What do you mean not to watch the movie Sniper! Tom Berenger was epic! lol

Okay, joking aside, I'm surprised I haven't seen a topic like this before (and even more surprised I actually understood it xD).

About the Artyom's rifle: It was heavily implied in the book, if I recall correctly, that Artyom's rifle was a heavily modified and heavily built bitch. It could be possible it was a scrapped rifle, a borken gun that was just fixed and remanaged. It's possible Artyom's starting gun is actually the basis of the bastards: Large, Heavy, and ugly as shit.

About the Stechkins and the Tokarevs: I'd love to have one of them, both in real life and in the game. Sadly, everyone thinks that all guns are revolvers or desert eagles... :tsk:

But, the deciding factor of it all could be that Glukhovsky understood that not all of his audience would be gun nuts. I mean, you can count with your two hands how many times Artyom shot his gun in the whole book, much less used it to fight! Metro 2033's literary version is more or less a more philosophical view of the earth, in my perspective.

4. KLMKsunbunny

KLMKsunbunny Well-Known Member

Some great info there mate.. You know your stuff. Never heard of several of those. The Flamethrower mentioned may not be a homemade item though - The Soviets developed the ROKS-1 / ROKS-2 / ROKS-3 series of Flamethowers used during WW2, including during the defense of Stalingrad.

5. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

i personally think that that movie was pure garbage lol!

anyway,nice job with the pics

6. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

They also have Pechenegs on the surface when Artyom is picked up outside of Exhibition.

7. No, just a "machine gun".

SVD is mentioned though.

8. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

If I dont remembered wrong it says in the book that artyoms strting wep is a very heavy, and very very old rifle so it could very well be RPK/D or PPsh. Bourbon makes an angry remark about it when they try to leave a station(don't remember which, gotta have to read the books again:) )

9. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

I want the weapon described in the book at Market Station "You could probably buy a weapon which could wipe out half the Metro". :)

10. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

hmmm that would probably be the fatman i guess:D

11. Teddy Picker

Komodo, you're wrong. At least, in the English translation.

Proof:

[​IMG]

12. Teddy Picker

Oh, well I believe the quote says "The vehicle is up above and the tank is full... yada yada... we can go up at any time", so I assumed the "machine gun" in question was the Pecheneg. Sorry for not clarifying.

13. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

So True, I would love a Makarov, TT or a Stechkins. Maybe even just having the Makarov and the TT for sale at stations and the APS at special locations.

But with SMG's, PPsh's would be very rare, along with Bizon's so I would say custom like what others have said.

14. MickeysMaltLiquer

Thanks everyone for the input! I have edited the post to include the PKP and SVD, and also make mention that the flamethrower may very well have been a pre nuke weapon.

15. dahksinol

Well, it wasn't THAT bad. I mean yes, some parts were... a bit off and narmy, but you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I think they should have added several SVUs and SVDs in the game. The Watchers know that we love them. They should bless us with them.

16. Teddy Picker

The Invisible Watchers, you mean?

17. dahksinol

18. TheJollyRedRanger

TheJollyRedRanger Well-Known Member

This made my day :D

19. lolinski

lolinski Well-Known Member

I was about to say that you can buy those legally but then I saw that you live in NZ.....Im sorry for you, here in Norway(and in the US) you can buy those, here in Norway you have to buy for competition and in the US you buy without having to "justify" yourself. I love the caliber thats why I am a fan of TTs they are common in my homeland, there they are called M57.