Weapons & Attachments

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, May 23, 2013.

1. It was tested. As the difficulty goes up, so does the damage for all guns, however a headshot is always deadly, regardless of settings.

[YOUTUBE]WijFLpRKR98[/YOUTUBE]

On Easy difficulty with dirty ammunition it takes three clean torso hits or one clean headshot/a hit to the neck from any 5.45 firearm to kill a human opponent in M2033, be it the AK-74 or the Bastard. With MGRs it goes down to two torso hits and one head/neck one.

Ranger hardcore makes it a 1:1, but MGRs kill instantly even if you hit the armor plates/other equipment.

Roughly the same applies to MLL as well, except that 5.45 bodyshots on unsuspecting enemies kill instantly this time around because dumbed down "streamlined" stealth.

The hint claims that the adrenaline from the full out firefight makes human opponents tougher, which is why a lot of them fumble or crawl around when heavily injured as opposed to dying outright.

2. NovaRain

NovaRain Member

@Komodo Saurian
    Thanks for the explanation/info. So in 2033 the suppressed VSV does the same damage as AK-74? That's a good enough reason for me to stick with VSV in 2033, since AK-74 can't be suppressed.
    And I don't know that bodyshots on unsuspecting enemies is an insta-kill. Probably because the stealth is way too easy in LL that I don't even need guns to kill human enemies. Guess the frontline/outpost/black station in 2033 gave me a good "training" for this.

EDIT: BTW, your "Ranger Hardcore Pacifist Walkthrough" videos are awesome. :D

#42 NovaRain, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
  3. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

I would certainly hope that at least suppressor would reduce damage of each shot. It does not matter much in 95% of case because you are aiming for head-shot but there should be penalty for using silenced weapons in gun fights.

Also, Komodo, were these tests done on a early or later version of soldier? Were those standard or armored soldiers?

There are definitely more armored soldiers towards end of the game and also those special soldiers that come upon raising alarm are definitely more heavily armored than common foes. They dont go down in 3 5.45 hits.

4. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

If that's true, then you have the following balance factors:

- Recoil (how much the gun kicks, and in what way). Recoil is typically randomized, and gravitates upwards, although this varies per weapon. Recoil tends to increase the longer you hold the trigger; how much this increases depends on the weapon.
    - Accuracy (the spread value of your gun, how close your sights are to what you actually hit)
    - Rate of Fire (how fast you shoot, self-explanatory)
    - Range (how quickly the weapon's damage drops off to a lower value)
    - Noise (how much sound the weapon makes, I'm pretty sure MGR's make more noise as well)
    - Reload Speed (self-explanatory)
    - Hipfire Spread (also self-explanatory, although I haven't tested if this actually varies from weapon to weapon)
    - ADS Speed (how quickly you raise and lower your sights)
    - Magazine size (self explanatory)

So we can work this into how our weapons perform. Smaller and compact weapons tend to have faster ADS speeds, hipfire that starts better but gets worse, worse recoil, and shorter range, while larger weapons have better recoil, longer range, slower ADS speeds, and hipfire that starts worse but blooms less.

The silencer reduces noise, reduces range, and improves aimed accuracy. Seems to have no effect on recoil, ads speed, or hipfire spread.

The long barrel seems to tighten up both ADS and Ranged Accuracy while improving range, and also increases the time it takes to ADS. Interestingly, it improves hipfire as well, and since the ADS penalty is tough to notice, it's a pretty useful attachment for the pistols. It might just be me, but it also seems to decrease recoil a tad bit as well. With shotguns, it's up to your preference.

I'm pretty sure the laser sight completely eliminates hipfire spread.

Stocks and foregrips obviously reduce recoil.

As for the weapons themselves, here's what I've figured out:

-Bastard has good-to-awful hipfire, bad recoil, good ROF, slow reload, average magazine size, poor range, poor accuracy, and quick ADS speed. Has the perk of very-visible magazine, negative of overheating.

-Kalash is average all-around other than its speedy reload.

-RPK is basically a Kalash with better range and accuracy, bigger mag, slower ADS, slower ROF, more noise, and more limited attachments.

-74u is a Kalash with faster ADS, (I'm assuming, no way to tell outside of Ranger Mode) better hipfire, faster ROF, worse recoil, and worse range.

-I'm not sure about the 2012, haven't spent much time with it. It seems to have the fastest ROF and large magazine. Fast ADS, great recoil. Main weak point is its strong-starting but rapidly-blooming hipfire. Recoil seems good-average. Good reload speed, mostly visible mag.

-And then there's the VSV. Small magazine. Great recoil. High accuracy for both ADS and hipfire. Hipfire also has next-to-no-bloom, making it incredibly accurate. Fast ADS speed. Quick reload. Is listed as having sub-sonic barrel velocity, which accounts for it having the lowest noise (especially with dirty rounds; no gun in this game is silent, but the VSV is very quiet) while also giving it poor range. Low ROF. Interesting weapon, designed for pulling off stealthy headshots on enemies at long range, while still having some very good handling traits. Probably my favorite weapon.

Obviously this is all just from the general "feel" of the weapons and some quick playtesting with what I had on save. Could definitely benefit from side-by-tests on PC, and would benefit even more from some cold, hard stats.

#44 Potarto, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
  5. Texture issue fixed, yay.

6. tamalero

tamalero Well-Known Member

hang on, there was a texture issue?

7. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Look at the first pic he uploaded of the Kalash.

8. Quick update from the wiki with this little test video. If you've got any input - feel free to share:

[YOUTUBE]89ptnsXvimw[/YOUTUBE]

9. [YOUTUBE]DgPRURdSY7s[/YOUTUBE]

10. [YOUTUBE]E1UJWZY9pJ4[/YOUTUBE]

11. [YOUTUBE]jsUXiywh4HU[/YOUTUBE]

12. Wvlfy

Wvlfy Member

Is there a weapon mod for the fist that lets me knock people out from ten yards away? :p

13. [YOUTUBE]w-NsDBBb7v0[/YOUTUBE]

14. mjdart

mjdart Member

OK newbie question, I come across weapons and I get the circular arrows and I can't pick them up. Can I discard a weapon to pick up something new I come across?

15. tamalero

tamalero Well-Known Member

you can swap weapons anytime. justpick up a new gun and it will discard the one you had.
    you can of course, pick up the other back if you dont like it.

and I dunno why you say you cant pick up the arrows..(helsing ?)
    you just go where the arrows are, and press the pick up button.

16. kilo_bravo

kilo_bravo Member

ranger mode
    AKS-74U laser,suppressed
    revolver laser,suppressed
    all the way though till the last levels

normal
    AK-74 laser,suppressed(wish i could use the 74U)
    revolver laser,suppressed
    whatever i find

on my next play thoughs going to give the RPK a good go

17. [YOUTUBE]G1wRMI1ojhI[/YOUTUBE]

18. [YOUTUBE]6beyADPnsnk[/YOUTUBE]

19. [YOUTUBE]yIwK7dJlpZc[/YOUTUBE]

20. [YOUTUBE]Rm0rCv4Tb8U[/YOUTUBE]