Weapons & Attachments

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, May 23, 2013.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

So, here's the thread for all discussion about the guns in the game! (I'll be ashamed if this thread already exists :eek:)

What guns&Upgrades did you like best, which ones did you use the most?

I really like the AKSU with a silencer and nothing else. It's a very fast weapon and has a decent ammunition-capacity. I don't like the red-dot, though; the screen on it is yellow and bulgy, I can't see through it. I used the Night Vision scope a bit, but I don't really fancy scopes, I think it's cooler and a little more challenging with iron sights. It just gives a better feel. I also love the one-barreled shotgun because it's actually a pistol. It feels pretty badass shooting shotgunshells out of a pistol :D

Oh, and to the big point, did you guys know about the Saiga12? In the beginning of Theatre, I saw a guard with a strange-looking gun, so I had a closer look and saw that it had shotgun shells in the magazine. That made me realize that it was the Saiga12. It was surprising to see it, considering we can't use it in-game.
    But just now, I had another look at the gun shop in the Church outpost, and found the Saiga12 there! Now I'm ready to head off to the catacombs with my Saiga12 with extended mag, let's hope it goes alright! :D Screenshot of Saiga12:
    [​IMG]

EDIT 28.07.13: Added Komodo Saurian's accurate videos of the weapons below, all credits goes to him:
    [YOUTUBE]?feature=player_embedded&v=DgPRURdSY7s[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?v=E1UJWZY9pJ4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?feature=player_embedded&v=jsUXiywh4HU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?feature=player_embedded&v=w-NsDBBb7v0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?feature=player_embedded&v=G1wRMI1ojhI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?feature=player_embedded&v=6beyADPnsnk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?feature=player_embedded&v=yIwK7dJlpZc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?v=Rm0rCv4Tb8U&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]seAYxznF1Ug[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8SId6p2IgoQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]tTYE07TmVAI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]9X9YeAF8UY8[/YOUTUBE]

#1 Skaara Dreadlocks, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. lebbers

lebbers Well-Known Member

I feel like the restrictive ammo limits, coupled with the 2 gun limit on Ranger Hardcore difficulty, really... limit... your freedom with respect to weapon selection.

You pretty much have to carry a 5.45 carbine/rifle at all times, as the exchange rate is most favorable/you can carry 180 rounds of dirty/you can swap in MGR in a pinch.

For surviving mutant hordes, you pretty much need a shotgun, as you can carry 60 rounds of 12x70 and it usually only takes one shell to put down tunnel trash. Even then, you're pretty much limited to the Shambler/Saiga as the Ashot/Duplet simply can't put out a sufficient volume of fire to reliably survive, e.g., the Venice waiting game.

The Tihar would have been great, but now you can carry a measly 45 balls which makes it a virtually unsustainable weapon. The Valve has a similar problem, with only 25 rounds and even the pistols run dry too easily, with only 42 rounds total.

OK, so that said, yeah, the AKSU is nice cause time to ADS is lower than the Kalash and its reload time is superior to that of that Bastard.

The Shambler is a beast; the Saiga even more so. And the Ashot, while ultimately an impractical weapon due to its low volume of fire, has the absolute best suppressed report of any gun in the game. It's so cool that I genuinely wish it were a more practical gun.

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

^Great post, I absolutely agree with every word. There have been so many times through only my half Ranger hardcore playthrough now that I have wanted a revolver, but can't because I simply must have a shotgun and a rifle. The maximum-two-slots-thing in Ranger Hardcore doesn't make it that much more difficult, because it just limits you to having to use shotgun and rifle. I don't find this as such a very big problem that it needs to be fixed, but I certainly would've enjoyed having three weapon slots rather than two.

4. @Skaara Dreadlocks: We plan to work on ripping the weapon models from the game on this weekend. You should have waited a bit for that before making this thread ;)

5. Sharkey

Sharkey Well-Known Member

I always had at least a silenced, red-dot, laser mounted, extended clip Kalash with the auto-shotgun with only a red-dot sight, those two were my favorite. If I carried a third weapon it'd usually be the Helsing for silent killing and retrievable ammo.

6. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

After playing for some time, I have come to the conclusion that... I like barebone guns better. Sure, a silencer is handy at times, but other than that, I do perfectly fine with my Kalash and Shambler, although I switch the Shambler for the Saiga whenever I see it. Shotgun is, as already mentioned, a must-have, and assault rifles are great for anti-personnel purposes. If going through the swamps it would be ideal to carry a Valve to deal with the Jumbo Shrimps. I used 120 dirty rounds on killing one of those with my Kalash today :shocked: (At least 40-60 must have hit it. Some form of glitch?)

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

They try to block your bullets with their shell by looking directly towards you. Try surprising them from the side or from the back, and if you can't do that, just try to skip a little to the side to be able to shoot their "tail". With the Ashot, it's a one-hit-kill if you hit them correctly.

I and a friend are strongly considering to start a Metro Roleplay community and server in Garry's Mod, we've even begun planning some things. 'Twould be great to have those models as props and sweps for Garry's Mod :rolleyes:

#7 Skaara Dreadlocks, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  8. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I meant I must have hit them right in the belly those 40 times. Could be because the specific rifle is weak against them, or I must (and I am really quite sure this is not the case), I must have missed completely. This playthrough is on normal, as I try to aim for the "Shadow Ranger" and "Redemption" achievements. So that is of course a contributing factor as well.

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

Are you talking about the big ones that looks like grasshoppers? Because those are unkillable, pretty much. The first one, you should just avoid when looking for the gasoline. Then, the second one (Which is probably the same one) is attacked by a demon before you are able to kill it. The next one you'll have to damage a lot, try to use claymores, they work great. And then there's the last one in front of the church, which you weaken with incendiary ammo and possibly some claymores. Let Anna shoot her with her sniper rifle, the mutant should stay still and twist in pain. That's your chance to shoot it in the side with all you've got.
    But if you're talking about the normal Shrimps, the ones you see in Venice, I have no idea. Must be a glitch :p

10. pulkmees

pulkmees Member

That is not true.They are best killed with shotgun blasts to the face.Takes about 8-10.

And they have an infinite respawn in that area.I got stuck there(somehow missed that the plane could be accessed) and did about 6-7 laps around the place untill it went dark and those bastards respawned every time.Same with the Demon.

11. didymos

didymos Well-Known Member

Unkillable? Hardly. Hit 'em with an incendiary grenade. On RHC, it's pretty much instant death, and it doesn't take much longer on lower difficulties.
    Claymores work nicely too. And the Valve...

12. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

13. didymos

didymos Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. I did too. They are killable. Very killable.

14. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

We know. Shoot them in the side (notice how they hold their armored claws out in front of them?), or use the Valve to punch through their shell and cripple them. Also, incendiary grenades make their armor brittle. Hell, even a throwing knife on any difficulty to their soft spine will OHK them.

As for the guns, it depends. On Ranger, you absolutely need an Assault Rifle and a Shotgun. Dirty 5.45 is common, and you can carry seemingly unlimited amounts of MGR's. (what seems to be their key strength) A shotgun is then likely the better secondary choice, as they have the next best damage/total capacity ratio. (seriously, why can you carry more shotgun shells than pistol rounds, or even BB's?) Shambler offers the best blend of power and capacity IMO.

When playing on Normal Difficulties, I like to carry either a pistol or sniper rifle. Sniper rifles are probably my favorite because of their extra punch against armored mutants, as MGR's beat out pistol rounds in almost every single way (all pistol rounds have is low cost, which isn't really useful since they're valuable and you can hardly carry any of them)

15. brynje

brynje Well-Known Member

lol what?... the jumbo schrimps pretty much die instantly o_0... and I've played on RH, RN and Hard so far.. sometimes I wonder if I play the same game as everyone else.

16. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

It's just odd, they die with one or two shots from the valve, but with the kalash it was just freaking unkillable.

17. Renko

Renko Member

Um...this is still the Weapons and Attachments thread right?

My favorite weapons that I like to use:

-Duplet (Stock, Grip, Four-barrels, Laser pointer) *A very effective Monster Killer

-AK 12 (Red Dot sight, Laser pointer)

-Tikhar (IR sight, Laser pointer, Air pressurizer)

*Heck, I like all of the guns in the game!

18. brynje

brynje Well-Known Member

Need I say more? :p

[​IMG]

19. Clear Sky Stalker

Clear Sky Stalker Spartan Ranger
    Regular

Kalash with silencer and red dot sight.
    Quadplet.
    Revolver with scope,silencer, and stock.

20. EbonHawk269

EbonHawk269 Member

Slot:
    1) silenced pistol with scope and stock & foregrip upgrades (I just like it for sneaking around in the dark, and it takes up less screen space for taking screenshots).
    2) Tikhar with IR sights and laser sight/tank pressure upgrades. I can pretty much kill most things, silently, with it, as long as there aren't too many of them at one time.
    3) RPK fully upgraded with the Reflex Sight, laser sight, mag extension (something else? can't recall atm) for the large groups of enemies that try to swarm me at the hold-and-defend points in the game.

I can take out most things in the game (on normal; I'm not a very skilled player) without too much trouble, and then there are claymores, pipe bombs, and incendiary grenades for the hoardes that try to get up in my face. I just toss them behind them and watch them gib. Okay, everything just sort of keels over limp in MLL. Gibbing would make MLL the best game ever.