Quantcast

Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'Civilization VI' started by Sad Puppy, Jun 10, 2016.

1. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

What's the point of VR in Civilization? I am not sure whether this would have any positive impact on my gameplay experience at all.

2. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member Regular

^ I don't think you understand. You want to be immersed in Civ whether you like it or not, and if you don't believe me, let me bother you while you're playing. VR is just a layer of immersion you can't understand until you've used it. It is a completely different experience to be totally immersed in every direction and not need any monitors, you are within the game.

3. AxelR

AxelR Member Regular

It is completely different experience, but I don't see how it would be any better to use VR headset than good old mouse for playing Civ. When using VR, I want to be thrown in completely different world! I want to feel like I'm inside it. I can't imagine how can you achieve something like this in a turn based game.

4. Vall

Vall Member Regular

I think VR as a whole is a pretty cool concept, and could quite possibly be the future of gaming. However I don't really think it changes much in Civilization. The whole point of VR is immersion and in Civilization I don't see how the overhead/map view can be immersive even with VR.

5. ladydaydream

ladydaydream Member Regular

I don't think VR would be suited for the Civilization franchise, since it's not a role-playing game nor does it really have any realistic immersion, unless we're literally supposed to be god-like leaders lording over our landmasses - kinda hard to suspend belief, even with virtual reality!

6. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

As they say never say never but I don't see myself playing a game like civilizations in vr. I don't think the two mix.

7. Nelfy

Nelfy Member Regular

I understand the desire for any game development team to see their game take the VR approach, but then you have to wonder, will this actually help the game in any concrete way or it would just add to the bragging list of the game. My own perspective on the entire VR system is still a bit unconvinced. Sure, the VR is bringing gaming to a whole new level of experience, entertainment and immersion, but there are some games that do well in VR and some maybe have no business being part of the entire VR dynasty. And I feel that Civ might be a game that is part of the latter. I can't imagine a way in which this would work really, or even if it did, there would be no point to it, because ultimately Civ is neither a very dynamic game nor it offers a very engaging point of view of the map. So by just taking these two small points that came to mind on the spot while thinking about this, I am tempted to say that VR and Civ are not going to make a good couple. For now at least, I will be more than happy if my perspective will be contradicted.

8. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana Member Regular

I would like to see the concept of virtual reality applied to Civilization. At least I wouldn't oppose it. I have doubts how well it could be implemented into it, though. And I wouldn't drop any money into virtual reality without seeing it for myself beforehand.

9. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member Regular

Exactly, most VR games exist to try and take you to another world. Simulating a job, or catching fish, or getting in a shootout are all great examples of VR games, and they work so well because they are in first person mode. We really would not see much of a difference between a 2D monitor and a VR headset in this game because of the top down limitation.

10. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

Much like a lot of the other people here, I don't see the point of Civilization in VR. What exactly does VR bring to the franchise? Personally, I can't really answer the question. It seems like it would be nothing more than a novelty at best.

11. iRoxas

iRoxas Member Regular

I wonder how they would implement VR, it's a good thing to think about. Also another thing to think about is if they would add it to only the Oculus or if they would add it to the other VR hardware that's out there right now.

12. NormaD

NormaD Active Member Regular

I'm not really sure if virtual reality will work for Civ, but I'm not averse to trying it out. It's already such a big part of our lives, we need to just get used to it and embrace the idea. Civ + Vr might be more fun than anyone thinks. I say go for it!

13. SirJoe

If they do it will be a real game changer. I think that there are a lot of games that are going in this direction so it's only fitting that they do the same.

14. Mistiq

Mistiq Member Regular

This is the day of virtual reality and you cannot run away from it. I personally think that virtual reality would revolutionize the world of Civ. That is something that I think even the ones who are reluctant about it right now will be hooked on.

15. gamer2x

gamer2x Member Regular

The level of advancements which would be needed in VR for this game to be entertaining are very high and therefore, I personally do not think we would be seeing the VR anytime soon when we are speaking about this game.

With that being said, if they are able to get it done even after a couple of years and are actually able to make it worthwhile, it would be great.

16. matchv

matchv Well-Known Member Regular

I don't know why many people dislike this idea but I think it is a good idea. It would be interesting to see a VR version of this game. I am eagerly waiting for the VR version. Many of my friends have bought the VR tools and that is why it will be interesting to use it.

17. matchv

matchv Well-Known Member Regular

I think the developers are enough intelligent to carry forward the game in the next 'advanced' level of the game and that is why I think they should release the game in the high end and high profile VR version.

18. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

I personally think that it goes beyond the gameplay, it's something that definitely would enhance the game itself, for those people who really love and feel passionate about this game it might be a great addition, I actually believe it could change the gameplay a little bit due to the "reality" thing he talks about but we still have to wait and see how it goes with or without that feature.​

19. SirJoe

I think that the idea is the really feel part of the game, instead of having generals on the terrain, you can command your troops. At least that's the way I see it. We will have to wait and see what it will be like.

20. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member Regular

I think civ franchise could really expand with VR, but it'd hurt the feeling of the well stablished game, almost to the point they may as well just start it as a new game altogether and ride off Civ's popularity and fan base.