University or work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by grinder, Aug 27, 2015.

1. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I've just finished the high school and I graduated in IT. What's your opinion on what should I do now? Go to university and get hopefully a degree or start working?

2. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd go to university to get a better job in my opinion. If you start working, you're closing off a whole world of opportunities without a degree in this modern age. It seems like you're not able to move any further without one to begin with.

3. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Yes, at the end I guess that the university has to be done in order to succedeed and have better job opportunities you have to go to university but the idea of making another 5 years of studies it really disturb me.

4. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

You could always do both, work in the morning then study at night. It depends on your choice of courses too make sure they have night classes. I recommend trying to work for 1-2 years if you still think you can go through with it then stay in that company but if they're witholding your promoting due to lack of education then leave it to study. Find a company who supports your education, it's a good investment into the future anyway.

5. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would recommend educating yourself since in the future simple jobs would disappear and more jobs in designing, programming and research would open . However, you may always work besides your studies if you feel like it.

6. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

If you're in IT a 4 year isn't necessary because technology changes so fast that by the time you finish a 4 year a lot of the information is old. My ex is in the field and only has a 2 year with certifications out of the wazoo. Always strive to update or get your certifications- they're more important than a degree. My other friends are coders and don't hold any degrees whatsoever but have built extensive portfolios through constant website building. However the two things that are really important in the field are experience and networking. No joke about that because the first 5 years in the field are difficult if you don't have either. Been there, done that and now he's officially working for Dell at a hospital. That's just my two cents having dated someone who recently graduated from a 2 year with no experience and entered the IT field in Seattle when the economy crashed and the market was oversaturated. I had to support the both of us on my wages until I dragged his ass to a temp agency that specialized in the tech industry to help him build up his resume and network with the right people.

#6 Cereus, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

Really good answer my friend and I agree with that your degree is useless if you don't update your knowledge on a regular basis.

8. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I went to college, but I enrolled in a program that let you work a part time job while on campus. I was in the Student Life office where I was in charge of maintaining student records and occasionally delivered documents to professors from different departments. I was able to do schooling and have something to put on my resume.

9. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

The problem with universities nowadays is that absolutely everyone with a fully-functioning brain can attend one, which quite increases the competition, but that doesn't really ensure that you'll have a sustainable job in the future whatsoever. I'd personally just pick working... with or without university, chances are only a little better w/ university, and that's pretty much it. Not worth the high tax I'm paying, tbh. :D

10. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, I don't think that's it (everyone with a brain can attend one) so much that- we're being brainwashed that college/university is the only way to go if you want a future. My age group is the definition of pissed off and disenfranchised for a reason. The schools and parents shoved the whole university is your future down our throats all the while neglecting the fact that not every child is suited for college and never covered the messed up fact about college debt. Sure, being a millwright or a machinist isn't a glamorous job, but as long as human knowledge is needed to produce something then skills like that are desperately needed. Not only that but the wages are stable and you can always carry over the skills to other related industries. If you get a union represented job then you're pretty much set for life. I can attest that I know so many people with Bachelors who had to get Masters to compete because Bachelors are worthless and even then it's a double edged sword of 'you're over qualified or you don't have enough experience coupled with that degree.' Most are working in jobs that have nothing to do with their degree getting paid less than what I was making without a degree. The best way honestly is to get knowledge in certain trade skills (or get really good with IT/computers) and work, go back to school for whatever you want just for giggles or to supplement what you know and go from there.

11. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

This. Get it knocked out early, trying to juggle school and work at the same time is ridiculous most of the time, especially if you have to work full-time and keep up a full time course load! There's not enough hours in the day for all that!

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, I'm a software developer right now (so I'm in the same field as you) and finishing college was a really important thing for me. A lot of jobs required a degree (though you can have good side projects and be good to go). What did you decide to do?

13. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

In a third world country like mine, if you can go university, then absolutely go for it. It will triple your possibilities of not being poor (or at least you will be able to make a living). I tell it from my own experience. I'm also a software Dev and it is a very rewarding career, even in the less developed countries.

14. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd say go to the university as well. I'm also from a third world country and people here put a big emphasis on college graduates. You won't even get regular jobs without a college degree. And contractual jobs here pay so low it isn't even enough to sustain a whole family.

15. SecretPaladin

SecretPaladin Active Member
    Regular

I'm in the same pool as daredevil, third world country and college is pretty much the only way to success in here.

There is no rush for working, and a college degree in IT is worth it, considering how much money you will make after that and it will basically pay for itself. You will also learn new things, have the opportunity to socialize with new people and the college years are some of the best years you will ever live. Don't miss on this opportunity.

16. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think you should spend a a couple months to a year at work before going off to a university just for the experience.

17. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

Everything depends on your condition. You can't force and make everything happen all the time. I mean that has never worked for many people. So it all depends on how we handle things.

18. dionnextherese

dionnextherese Well-Known Member
    Regular

Education should always comes first because it is the key to success. After you finish education, you can apply for a job that fits to your course and it will have a higher chance that you'll get hired.

19. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think people who mix gaming with education is kind of reducing the quality of education. And they are just adding the excuses more for those who are not working. I am sure many of the people are aware of that part.

20. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, to some extent I think gaming can be educational but it really should be used as a primary source. Also, I'm not saying education isn't important, but nowadays experience on a job and having good connections will help you get ahead in life. I think it would be better to focus on those two for now.