True honest to goodness solution to Metro 2033 stuttering

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by germinator, Jan 14, 2014.

1. germinator

germinator New Member

Concerning the constant intermittent stutters/hitches that happen every 2~5 seconds:
    (No, this is not turn off DEP or any other bullshit fixes you read on the net)
    If you are using a quad core processor, just go into BIOS and disable 2 cores (of course undo this after you finish the game). That's it!

This cleared up the frequent stutters, but the more pronounced stutters that happen more rarely are still there (they're not as annoying as the shorter but more frequent stutters though).

The only downside to this is that you WILL get regular framerate drops in many areas, this is because the game does use 4 cores. I did see some people on the net posting "official" bullshit about the game only using 2 cores, but as I read more I found these idiots either ran their tests in GPU-limited scenarios or in some very limited amount of areas of the game where 4 cores aren't utilized.

Edit: There's also some microstutter/judder in the game (yes, on a single GPU), to fix this just go to your Nvidia CP and change the value "Maximum Pre-rendered frames" to 1. If you are using AMD card download Radeon Pro and change the falue of "flip queue size" to 1. This way you can use V-sync comfortably and don't have to use any of that framerate limiter crap.

#1 germinator, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff. I only ever really seem to get stutters when I try and use PhysX, but still interesting to know.

3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac Active Member

I never got stuttering in original 2033 or Last Light, but I get a lot of small mostly audio stutters in 2033 Redux, mainly when the enemy AI become active, but also in other places. There are two threads on the Steam forum complaining of this on 2033 Redux, including even people on high end Nvidia GPUs.

I don't see CPU core disabling as an acceptable option. It was common when quad CPUs first came out on games that were still dual threaded, but it was typically done via setting CPU Affinity in Task Manager. That way you only temporarily disable those cores just for that particular game while it's playing.

I might try adjusting flip queue, but I really hate RadeonPro. It's AMD's fault it was made in the first place though, they don't have very good software support. With 2033 Redux though it's clearly a poor coding job by 4A.

(EDITED)

Tried turning off HyperThreading (i7 950) and it literally stopped all my stuttering. It looks like I'm not even getting texture flickering anymore. I normally have HT off, but I'd enabled it recently to do some video encoding.

BTW, I also tried making a profile in RadeonPro to set flip queue to 1, but when I tried launching the game with that profile from RP, the game wouldn't even play. RadeonPro sucks balls.

#3 Frag Maniac, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  4. SimonTessem

SimonTessem Member

Good to know