Trench knife

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by DarkOne, Jun 5, 2013.

1. DarkOne

DarkOne Well-Known Member

How was it for you when you tried to use the trench knife against mutants? I might have killed one in my whole playthrough just isn't effective against them at all for me.

#1 DarkOne, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
  2. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

you can use it on mutants? o_O

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, you just press V. However I don't think I've ever used it on mutants... :lol:

4. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I did not realise i had melee on this till now

5. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I hate how you can't equip it like in Metro 2033, and the same thing goes with the throwing knifes. :mad:

6. brynje

brynje Well-Known Member

I only used it for the spider thingys... shine light on them till they turn and then double knife stab in the stomack :E

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

I never tried using the knife against mutants, but anyway, I honestly don't see the problem with not being able to equip the knife? The weapon-switching was sketchy and I could never understand it at all in both Metro, and in Last Light. I'd have to freaking swap through all my weaponry before actually getting to it. With the new button-push, the knife actually has some use. In Metro2033 it was close to impossible to stealthily kill someone with it, if not to kill someone with it at all.

8. TotalAaron

In 2033 in the defence bit at the ruined station i made a last stand with only the knife

9. DarkOne

DarkOne Well-Known Member

Guess it's one of those things where LL fixes a problem from 2033 but adds its own. I liked to kill mutants with the knife in 2033 felt satisfying bit in LL you can't almost at all you're only left with the option to do things in a stealth mannerl.

#9 DarkOne, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree with you Skaara, however I also find it less realistic. In real life, even if you always know where your knife is and how to reach for it quickly, you would not be able to use it and bring your main weapon back into your hands so fast. Since it took longer to select the knife in Metro 2033, it felt as if though Artyom was actually reaching for it. Obviously, that was just the game's clumsiness but that's how I always explained it when playing M2033 - to make it more immersive. Still, I have to admit that it's not as much of a big deal in LL as I thought it would be.

11. NuclearWastE3

Regular

can't see the problem!

Not being able to equip the knife is a big problem. First of all, in Metro 2033, at least for me, being able to equip and SEE the trench knife made if feel more, I don't know, a survival-horror post-apocalyptic game. For example, on my first play through 2033, I found myself without any ammunition when I reached Cursed Station. Hearing what my mission was, I felt quite helpless having nothing but my knife to complete the mission; but being able equip and see it in front of me at all time (exactly how I would have out if I were in a real-life situation like that) made it feel like I had a fighting chance. Seeing a mutant charge at me from in front with my knife between it and me, made me only think, “ Come at me mutant! It’s just you, me, and MEE KNIFE!!” Second of all, why would you prefer the knife off-screen than on-screen?

I agree with you on the weapon switching Skaara, at least for LL. I still can't figure out how to use a pipe bomb, and worst of all, view my inventory. As for the stealth killing, I found it way to easy in LL. In 2033, there was at least a challenge to it.

12. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hold TAB,slide mouse to the left,release TAB. Tap C to throw. Also while holding TAB you can view your inventory. It might work with number keys too but i haven't tried that yet.
    I was actually surprised because i was expecting another of those weapons/item/whatever wheels we get to use in recent games. Well,it's basicaly exactly that,just more intuitive and easy to use,atleast for me.

13. lowenz

lowenz New Member

Knife in M2033 = hardcore weapon of choice against little mutants, to save bullets

Knife in MLL = stab in the head mutants jumping on your railcar

14. TotalAaron

15. Keegan83

Regular

Well,we a knew this is coming from a mile away. But it's not that bad.Yes,some features had to be "streamlined", but what can you do. Maybe they can ramp-up the difficulty and remove hit markers in a future update to make it more "hardcore" :D

16. TotalAaron

rerember guys this could have been alot worse

Duke nukem forever
    Aliens CM
    (imo) Saints row 3
    (imo) Age of empires 3

17. Keegan83

Regular

And every other PC game in recent memory with the rare ocasions like Metro 2033,S.T.A.L.K.E.R.,The Witcher,Cryostasis.

18. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Thanks Keegan! :D

19. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

Well except for trying to kill Big Momma or the Green Shrimp with it becuase I didnt have any bullets, then nope. I did kill Big Momma though ._.

20. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Was I the only one who didn't have to use a knife to kill any of the bosses?