THQ actually dead; what now?

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by lebbers, Jan 7, 2013.

1. lebbers

lebbers Well-Known Member

So, while the Clearlake deal might, indeed, have preserved THQ, that's off the table and THQ's assets will be auctioned off separately (as reported by Joystiq and others).

With respect to Metro:LL , my understanding is that THQ doesn't own 4A or the Metro IP; is this accurate, and what happens now?

2. I Hate Lurkers

I Hate Lurkers Well-Known Member

Nothing. Either way, THQ still has a legal contract with 4A studios to the producing rights of Metro Last Light. The game will be scheduled as planned. 4A isn't going to cancel it, not after a year of work. That would be a fucking idiotic move and would cost them millions. Also, please post your source. I'd like to read this for myself.

3. lebbers

lebbers Well-Known Member

4A won't scrap the title, sure, but it's hard to see how THQ will be in any position to publish it. What I'm wondering is whether the publishing rights will also go up for auction or whether 4A will need to secure a new publisher through conventional channels?

As for the source, it's all over by now, but here's a URL (it won't let me post a link):

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/07/where-will-thqs-games-and-studios-go

4. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

Disaster EA is thinking of buying some of THQ's assists.

5. I Hate Lurkers

I'm tired of people talking shit about EA. EA is not that bad, yeah they will try to get more money out of you. But if you know that and you don't like it, don't buy their fucking games. By the way Apollo this isn't directed at you, its more of a general statement.

6. I Hate Lurkers

Furthermore, Metro Last Light is an asset. So the publishing rights will be sold at the auction. I was wrong before. But it says that in the article. So I'm not sure why you made this question thread to begin with. The article answers the question.

7. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, the point is that we want LL out and playable. It is not as simple as that "If you don't like it, don't buy it".

#7 rolfwar, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

It's not that simple. I wish it was though.

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

I'd have to agree with Rolfwar and Bamul. Although it might be that simple to some people, it is actually not that simple to most people. I discovered that myself after the release of the new Limited Edition.

Anyway, can we get a real good sum-up on what actually happens to THQ? Anyone?

10. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

#10 Teddy Picker, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  11. I Hate Lurkers

I am aware its not that simple. But complaining about it won't help guys. That's all I'm saying.

12. GoodLordApollo

I EA isn't completely bad sometimes, it is due to the sheepiness of gamers. This mostly can be seen at the Mass Effect Ending Controversy. Not all those people hated the ending they were too scared or thought that the ending was really bad even though they hadn't played it.

13. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

Yup even with the free ending "dlc" it still isn't good enough. Idk why the developers are saying "Think about it yourself". Like really? I know some endings you need to think about yourself but this is just saying "Yea we just wanted to end the game and said 'Fuck it'"

14. I Hate Lurkers

Again. Trashing EA won't change a thing.

15. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

With the auction starting at 22nd Jan here are my predictions who will take what IP and Studio:

EA
    - Company of Heroes
    - Saints Row
    - Red Faction
    - WWE

Ubisoft
    - Metro
    - Homefront
    - Darksiders
    - Dawn of War

Warner Bros
    - South Park

There are probably more games THQ have the rights too, but it's too early and I'm brain dead lol

#15 majnu, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  16. GoodLordApollo

Those predictions seem very realistic. The only games I would change would be Homefront goes to EA and Red Faction goes to Ubisoft

17. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

I did consider that since EA also have Crysis which is made by Crytek the same studio making Homefront 2, but considering that EA wouldn't want another shooter since Medal of Honor is performing poorly.

EA have Battlefield and that is enough for them.

It's just a shame that Activision will probably have made more money selling a COD release than THQ has in it's lifetime.

If Metro goes to Ubisoft I think it will be a good move, they have good PR, Marketing and will push the developers to create a great game like the Dead Space series.

18. I Hate Lurkers

I hope Ubisoft does by Metro.

19. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

well, Ubi are a good company, look at the Assasin's Creed series. the only problem I have is, will they get it right, not being an Eastern European company? we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

20. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

And how are they gonna react to the PC fanbase, Ubisoft doesn't like PC gamers.

: sale, thq