The older FPS clichè

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by iR3vOlv3Rz, Jun 11, 2012.

1. iR3vOlv3Rz

iR3vOlv3Rz Well-Known Member

The answer is simple: why they don't make visible legs for Artyom? :derp:

2. Bleght

Bleght New Member

So you don't shoot yourself in the foot, :lol:

3. Because that kind of thing bothers only a few players and it's not going to stop them from buying a game.

[​IMG]

4. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about that the other night when I was playing. Andrew the Blacksmith had rescued me in Armory Station and gave me the overalls. I looked down when I was putting them on and was almost doing a somersault. I think having a chest/legs when you look down would be more immersive, and it would also give some aesthetics for the different suits you can buy other than just the gloves.

5. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I'd like to see his legs, it greatly affects the immersion of the game, and I think it worked well with BF3 :)

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

It would be a good idea for Last Light, they should totally get it :D

7. Blaastoid

Blaastoid Member

Older FPS Cliche

Seeing Artyom's legs and being able to see what he's wearing would be more immersive. I think it'd make the player feel more close and more in control of Artyom.

8. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

I think almost nobody cares about visible legs. They can make the legs visible, but I think they should do something more usefull with their time.

9. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

That question was asked in one of the interviews and there was an awkward silence from Huw.

:behindsofa:

10. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I care for visible legs and torso and arms.

"FEAR's development articles drove this point home. You can at least see the main character's feet, even while performing kung-fu. You also need to use your hands to climb ladders and swim, although curiously not to press buttons or open doors.

The Max Payne 2 FPS-Mod makes the game probably the most realistic FPS game, in the context of this trope.

Killzone 2 does try to avoid this to some extent, but for some reason you can't see all the way down.

Halo 2 and 3 have visible legs.
    If someone leaves the party while playing multiplayer campaign online, the game freezes and glitches allowing you to look down directly into your torso.

It's perfectly possible not just to look down and see your thigh, but to stick a plasma grenade to it.

The recent Turok relaunch has visible legs.

Mirror's Edge lets you see Faith's legs. Good thing, too, because the game requires a lot of precision platforming. Additionally, you can see her full arms, shoulders, and torso, body position permitting (your camera is constrained to the directions Faith's eyes could actually be looking at any moment). The tip of her nose is the only thing really missing.

Related to Mirror's Edge in the context of this trope is Jumping Flash!. Since this game was a Platform Game and an FPS, it was important to see where you were going to land. The developers of this game had the camera pan down as you fell. Not only did you get to see the character's feet, but a shadow as well.

Operation Flashpoint is one of the earliest games that does an honest attempt at not doing this trope. Of course, it'd invoke some really obvious Fridge Logic if you couldn't, since it also allowed you to use a third person view.

Left 4 Dead also lets you see your feet and legs (including the infected if you play as one) when you look down, but they don't appear if your graphic settings are too low. Humorously, the height at which your body is situated makes it look like your arms are sprouting out of your neck, at least from your point of view.

Portal lets you see yourself by looking through the portals, though you can't see yourself otherwise.

In Thief: Deadly Shadows you can see your whole body (save for your back and head of course) in first person.

Though both are already older games (made in 2002), Iron Storm and the second Hitman instalment let you see your legs, feet and hands while in FPS view (third person view being their default mode).

Crysis permits players to view their character's lower torso and legs, arguably to show off the extreme level of detail that was put into the game's Nanosuits.

The Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay allows you to see the title character's arms and legs, as well as his shadow. This proves very useful in making a lot of the jumps, as well as creating a more immersive experience.

Zeno Clash, although more of a brawler than a shooter, makes a point of being very detailed. The main character's hands are visible as his default weapons, his leg shows up during counterattacks, and when hit by a heavy blow, you can see him realistically scramble to his feet through his eyes.

Metroid Prime 3 not only allows you to see Samus' lower body and arms when she's sitting in her spaceship, you can also view her skeleton when using the X-ray visor.

Battlefield 3 looks to avert this. The recent trailers show amazing depth perception and body awareness.

Geist, while not allowing you to see your legs by not letting you pan down to look, does show you doing EVERYTHING when you're possessing someone. "

11. Ranger_of_the_new_world

Ranger_of_the_new_world Well-Known Member

Omg omg omg do you really think i can read this all :derp:

12. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Why not? It's fairly short reading.

13. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

It was short and simple to read, and you had a lot of good points dude. Ever play Condemned 2? That game did a really good job at putting you in the main character's perspective. One function of that game that I was always fond of was checking the ammo you had, where you'd slide out the clip of a pistol and look down the side or top of it to see how many rounds you had left.

14. MRJOEYBON

MRJOEYBON Member

I find that being able to see your legs makes the game very immersive. Whether it is Battlefield 3 when vaulting over an object or Halo 3 when i'd be backing up to look for a gun on the ground.

I'd love to be able to see Artyom's legs in Last Light. Every bit of detail would be great, especially now that the game has been delayed for what seems like forever.

15. Cheaptricks

Cheaptricks Well-Known Member

This thread is proof enough that people DO indeed care and most would like to see visible legs in the game to increase immersion and the level of detail.

Btw yes I would love to see visible legs in LL and hope that somebody from the dev team reads this thread:pop2:.

16. amd955ben560

amd955ben560 Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see legs when you fall on your back when a mutant attacks. Kicking it off would be extra epic.

17. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Personally, I don't like it when you can see the character's legs.

The movement isn't as smooth and natural as in "no-legs" fps games (I'm thinking FEAR, Call of Juarez, The Darkness).
    Secondly, the perspective always looks really weird, but maybe that's just me.

It would be nice if they showed the legs for cutscenes, though. That way the movemnt would be nice, but vaulting over objects and the like would look good.

18. iR3vOlv3Rz

iR3vOlv3Rz Well-Known Member

is just an addiction, at the realease of the game i don't care if Artyom have visible legs or not... :)

19. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

I agree, that would be very awesome!

20. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

dont forget brothers in arms both ps2 and ps3 games