Quantcast

The most creative Pokémon official names.

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by fuumarumota, Feb 2, 2016.

1. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

Which official names you think are the most well constructed / creative from the Pokémon series?

I can think of a few on top of my head:

- Beedrill
    - Psyduck
    - Exeggcute / Exeggutor
    - Oddish

2. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

I've always loved Sudowoodo. It even manages to fit the first time you come across one of the things really well. Girafarig is a great one too.

There are so many clever Pokemon names that I question how some of the lazy ones squeaked through. 'Seel'? Did you guys even try? Or was it already such a boring pokemon that you figured it wasn't worth the effort?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

Spheal is a pretty good one. Sphere seal. That one blew my mind when I was a kid.

For the newer Pokemon, I really like Sawsbuck. 'Saws' stands for summer, autumn, winter, spring. Pretty fitting.

4. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

I always loved the names of the Legendary bird Pokemon and how there names reflect their typing

Artic-uno
    Zap-dos
    Molten- tress or Moltress

That last one doesn't quite work but its still pretty close

5. DanaFoxScully

DanaFoxScully Well-Known Member Regular

I'm with you! :D I always thought it was so clever.

6. Navi45

Navi45 Member Regular

I'm surprised ekans and arbok didn't get mentioned.

Ditto was a clever one.
    The legendary birds as well.

I liked cyndaquil and quilava. Combining quils with cinders and lava. Funny.
    Snorlax is another good one. Snore and relax. Very appropriate.
    Oh! Horsea was one that I liked alot too.

Then we have lazy ones...like Tauros.

7. SecretPaladin

SecretPaladin Active Member Regular

Not sure if people would classify it as clever or creative, but Haunter is the best possible name for a pokemon like him. Gengar isn't bad either, something about this name screams "scary".

8. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

It's funny you mention Ekans and Arbok, because I find them kinda lazy. They sound cool, I'll admit, but they're not especially clever.

Another one I saw the other day that's more clever than I thought was Deoxys. It's a genetic pokemon, derived from a space virus, as I recall, and the name comes from deoxyribonucleic acid, aka DNA. More, though, it has different forms, three of which are Defence, Normal, and Attack, or DNA. (Also Speed, but that doesn't fit into the naming scheme, so I'll conveniently ignore it.)

9. fuumarumota

I guess the last part o these names are numbers in Spanish:

Artic-uno(one)
    Zap-dos(two)
    Mol-tres(three)

Cheers!

10. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

Oh wow yeah you're right, I never noticed the Spanish numbering. lol well that was three years of Spanish lessons at school wasted.

fuumarumota likes this.
  11. fuumarumota

Another real lazy one is "Electrode" ... really?

I also like the Abra - Kadabra - Alakazam combo.

12. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

Garbodor... You know... because it's garbage + odor..? No? Ok, fine...

Seriously though, Sudowoodo, as mentioned earlier is just perfect, it fits that Pokemon so well.