The last thing you bought?

Discussion in 'Pointless Fun' started by Darkbringer, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I could never shoot any animal (unless I'd gone mad or we're talking about a post-apocalyptic scenario). :p Seriously, I'm a bit of a casual gun nut - minus the right-wing views - and I usually go to the shooting range two times whenever I go to Poland, but I only like shooting non-living targets (shields, bottles, cans, anything of that sort) and I can't imagine ever shooting a bird, rat or any animal. I don't know, might be something to do with my vegetarianism. But not necessarily, coz I remember when I went to Paris once and found out that they poison the pigeons there (just because they don't want their shit on their posh buildings) I felt like I had stumbled into a country of barbarians. :lol: Tbh, I can imagine myself in a situation where I'm shooting humans (in self-defence or in some conflict) much easier than killing other animals, which is kinda worrying I guess. :eek:hwell:

But yeah, if you're killing the seagulls then I'd definitely make the most out of their deaths if I were you - not just out of decency so that there's no bodies laying about, but also out of respect in a hunter-prey kind of way. If you or the neighbours had some pet that eats their meat, that would be good (I'm sure humans can eat seagull meat too, however I don't know whether it's particularly tasty and I imagine no one would unless they were really curious or starving). And I'd also aim for the brain whenever I could, like you said, to do it as quick and pain-free as possible.

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

Yes, well, it does get on my conscience a bit, I don't shoot them just because "Lol stoopid bird, taste my rifle!" :lol: It's because they're annoying and they're so many, they're such a plague to be honest. I don't shoot crows or magpies, or any other birds for that matter, because they are actually "decent" birds, but I've never had any respect for seagulls :p

Yeah, that's a good thought but their heads are so small that I'd rarely hit, if ever at all. My father told me to aim for the chest on the front of the bird, that'll collapse their lungs so they fly off the roof and then dive to the ground and die just a couple seconds later. Sounds kinda horrible, but that's apparently the most humane/efficient way.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I know, but aiming for the head would at least help your aim to get better in the process. :p

4. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I imagined you'd feel a bit of remorse. It happens to me too. I haven't shot any birds in a long time, and it's because the shitty feeling that I get after doing it. The first time I shot and killed a bird was when I was probably 12 or 13 years of age. I took aim, at a little dove, and then *bam.* The little bird, which, moments before, had been so happy, taking in the warm, radiant rays of the sun on a beautiful summer evening now lay dead in my yard. It had no idea that the little kid, down far below, would be the one to end its simple life. No more flying with the flock. No more cooing. No more waking up early to get the worm (instead, it now would be the one fed upon the worms).

When I went inside my house and my mother had prepared dinner, I felt like I wasn't "worthy" to eat, since I knew what I had just done would be looked down upon. The thoughts that go through a child's mind. Of course, I eventually got over it. I didn't cry or anything....I just didn't feel as happy as I had felt previous to committing the crime, that day. I've shot about a dozen birds since then, and I still got a similar feeling with each one. They've ranged from crows, robins, and to these little brown annoying ones. To make some light out of it, the birds, I shot, usually ended up in the backyard of the neighbor who owned a cat. And it's been over two years since I've actually killed one. Now, what I'll do, is just shoot at their tail feathers to scare them off. ;)
    Geeze, man! That's crazy :eek:
    M8, I think you've been playing too many Mafia games :p

:lol:
    Yes, please do.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good on ya, Bamul!

Would you dare shoot a potato?! O__o
    Only teasing ya, Bamul ;) The meat industry is quite destructive and wasteful. So many animals born and raised in food farms, only to be fed to the world. It's sad :sad:

(kind of off topic): You know what I hate? I hate it when there's an animal attack and the animal happens to kill a human (say that it was as shark attack). The media goes wild and people set off, on hunting parties, to get "revenge" on this one predatory animal. If it were up to me, I would let the animal go on with it's life. Waste of time, resources, etc. If a human kills another human, though, there isn't necessarily a lynching mob going after the convict. The process is usually much more "civilized" (court, conviction, punishment).

Hahaha! :spit:

Don't worry, I'm kind of on the same page as you. Even though I've killed an animal before, I would rather much be on the side with the animals, to an extent, than the humans.

5. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Man i have killed a bunch of animals living in Aus, Mainly Snakes and larger Spiders,

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

This is good enough to be part of a Novel! :lol:

:lol: Or completed Mafia2 too many times :spy:

..... I see a war coming :spy:

... And I like this emoticon :spy: :spy: :spy:
    ..I'll stop typing now :spy:

:spy:

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Good man! :p

Remember that in many European countries firearm and air gun regulations are more strict, plus people here are generally more cautious about them, so Skaara had a good reason to be slightly concerned. Even if you're not doing anything illegal, a neighbour might think you are (coz they just aren't familiar with the laws or whatever) so they call the police. The popo arrive, ask you a few questions, they might find any excuse to search your house while they're at it - especially if it's a deprived neighbourhood, you have a certain haircut, are an ethnic minority, etc. If they search your place, not only is it intrusive and they leave a mess, they might find something else that's best kept away from the authorities (some nice herbs, pirated films, a blade that's an inch longer than it should be, perhaps something that you didn't even know was illegal, who knows?). So, naturally, you'd try to stop them by coming up with some reason against it - which would only make them find you even more suspicious. Of course, all of that isn't certain to happen, but it's a fairly possible scenario so that's why I like to avoid situations like that. :lol:

I slaughter and devour taters all the time. :mad:

Agreed, it always pisses me off when bloodthirsty assholes just look for excuses to go on hunting sprees. It's even more hypocritical when we're talking about a really dangerous animal that ought to be in the wild, but instead was being kept as a pet or in the zoo in an urban area.

Any reason is a good reason to play Mafia 2 again! :D

Just to clarify: I'm not completely against hunting animals. It's something that's been done by humans for thousands of years to survive. What I am against is the contemporary meat industry, which is something that Nuclear defined really well here. It's anything but natural, the animals are usually kept in horrible conditions, much of the meat is wasted, and it's only done for profit instead of satisfying the needs of people around the planet. Although I like to think that, with time, technology will allow us to grow natural tissue on its own and eventually move away from killing animals for meat entirely - right now we're far from that point. And proper hunters actually have much more respect for the animals they kill than the average person who buys pieces of animal corpses wrapped in plastic in a supermarket - leaving food for them, looking after them in the winter season, controlling their local population so that it never drops below a certain number, and so on.

Anyway, I'll stop since we've already gone quite off-topic here and I'm sure we've had a thread for something like this before (it was back when there were people on the forum though and it got toxic pretty quick, if I remember correctly, with stuck-up vegetarians/vegans and proud "macho" meat-eaters unable to see points of view other than theirs). :p

#607 Bamul, May 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  8. TotalAaron

Yeah thats not me at all, maybe.

Anyway when it comes to things i have bought i am at an impasse gentlemen money is tight and the budget for games will be spent in a few days i have narrowed it down to

Total War Warhammer for the PC

Trails of cold steel for the Vita

And i am unsure of which to buy

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

Actually, shooting seagulls is illegal in Norway, they're protected by the law :lol:

I definitely wouldn't want the popo to want to search our house, 'cause I've got quite a few things here that aren't necessarily illegal, but- .... oh wait, well, maybe one or two things, but still back to my point: Most of them aren't illegal, but would make me even more suspicious for whatever cause that could have brought them here :lol:

10. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Then again, it's an entire different situation over there. It's either kill or be killed....at least, from what you've told me Australia is like :p I have smashed a lot of insects, though, and they are considered animals. So my kill count is probably more up in the 1000s :sorry: I use to go to war with ant colonies.
    :D
    Over the past years, your continuous appraising for Mafia 2 was the reason I decided to play it.

A Norwegian spy! Get him. >:O

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, yes. I had forgotten. By the way, on a slight tangent, I remember you once said that you think they should have more restrictions on gun laws (or something like that) especially around schools (and I'm assuming your were referring to the area you live in). I can't remember exactly what you said, but I know there was a mention about schools. Well, anyway, over here in Texas, a law is being passed that will make it legal to carry a handgun (concealed) on campus. I'm sure there were people that would carry before, but now they won't get taken to jail, just as long as they show the right documentation for the firearm. Also, I just learned that it's also legal to open-carry firearms in most general public areas in Texas. I haven't seen anyone do it, though; and I'm guessing it's because they don't want to get any unwanted attention from the public/ law enforcement (even though it's legal).
    Yeah, I hate this. Police always try to find a way. :tsk:
    Hahaha, it's true! I had a good laugh. :D
    "Hypocrite." That's the word I was trying to think of yesterday, while typing up my post, but I couldn't remember it. Thanks.
    Yeah man, I hate that shit too. The animals look all sad and the humans are retardedly happy because their friends think they're cool for having an exotic animal. However, I'm being a bit of hypocrite myself. As a kid, I enjoyed going to the zoo (what kid didn't); but now, I'm not so fond of them for the reason of captivity. There are some zoos, however, that foster animals that have been injured due to poaching and other incidents; though, the zoo in my city isn't one of them. I mean, we have sea lions and we're no where near an ocean. We also had elephants (but they were recently taken to an animal sanctuary in Asia). With the elephants gone, they obviously had to replace them with something more grand. We got a few giraffes, shit-load of zebras, lions, and some big-horn things....Like, really? I feel bad for them :( The space they live in now are extremely tinny compared to the boundless planes of Africa. And the zoo is located near some busy streets, so I'm sure it disrupts them.....It disrupts me.

I do really like aquariums, though. Those are awesome. But I don't like the ones that have large creature (such as whales, etc). I feel sad for them as well :sad:
    Just curious: do you consume foods that aren't necessarily the animal itself (as in meat), but a product of them? Like milk and cheese? How about eggs?
    Hey man. That's awesome. I've never thought of that. I hope it comes true. :thumb:
    And I enjoy discussing this topic. I kind of what to resurrect a few old threads since I never had a say in them due to the fact that I was a forum-noob when they were still active.

-----------------------------------------------------
    :eek:hwell: Hmmmm, that's a tough one. I've never played any from that genre, but I sure as hell know that you're a huge fan of both. Well, Total War has part of your username in there (so that's something to consider) but I know how much you loved the game Persona and Trials of Cold Steel looks similar to it. I really don't know, dude. Sorry, but I don't think I can make the call on this one. Warhammer might have the better gameplay but ToCS might have the better story.
    xD
    You're a true gangsta, Skaara.

11. TotalAaron

Oh well ill just trade in some PS4 games and get both :D

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I don't remember, but I may have said something like that ages ago - my views about guns used to be quite liberal, even though I've been a libertarian communist for ages. Nowadays I don't think restricting access to firearms (or granting easier access to them) will necessarily reduce or increase gun-related crime. School shootings and things like that are caused by much more complicated societal issues that vary between each country and in some places, where the conditions are right for it, they will happen even when owning weapons of that type is completely forbidden (the perpetrator just has to go through an extra hoop to get them).

However, I don't think it's right when police/national guard have access to firearms and civilians don't. There are so many cases of police abusing their power around the world that I believe people should be able to defend themselves from their government (or overthrow it) if things are turning too authoritarian. Naturally, that would allow some really shitty groups (racist extremists and such) to have an opportunity to do so as well, but most of them already have access to guns anyway so it wouldn't really change much for them. Still, being able to carry a gun on campus? I'm not sure what to think of that. It sounds a bit worrying considering how common school shootings are in parts of the US, but on the other hand it should in theory give ordinary people a greater sense of security and maybe make psycho kids going to shoot people at their schools think twice about doing it when everybody else is carrying a piece. I know that these people are usually suicidal and intend to get killed, but only after taking down as many random people as they can find before that. Maybe the thought of getting apprehended or shot down before "scoring" any murders would deter them at least a bit? No psycho I've heard of ever wanted to be remembered for getting arrested or killed before being able to murder anyone.

Whether I'm allowed to own firearms or not, and the moral/legal issues associated with it aside, I absolutely love going down to the range in Poland every year and I hope I'll keep being able to do that. Firing a rifle or pistol at targets on the range is fun, plus it's harmless for everyone involved as long as people don't fuck about and take the rules seriously. I've actually managed to convince a few slightly anti-gun friends that there's nothing evil about having some fun at the range by just taking them there - they all ended up leaving with smiles on their faces and thought it was a brilliant idea.

Agreed, some zoos do a good job in saving animals that wouldn't be able to survive in the wild and looking after them - I didn't mean to put all zoos in the same bag, and I loved being at the zoo when I was a kid as well, but sadly many of them do have some shitty practices. Aquariums are usually slightly better if we're talking about smaller fish/sea-life as it is easier to provide large natural-looking spaces for them, but once again there's a lot of grey area with larger species as you said.

Yes, I'm not a vegan, only vegetarian (come August it'll be 5 years since I started). I eat anything I like to eat as long as it didn't require the death of an animal and isn't made from their body parts (no meat - fish included, no gelatine, no lard, etc.), but honey, eggs, diary products and so on are fine. Even so, I only buy free range eggs and I try to get other food products that are made with the assistance of animals through more natural sources when I can. I tried to go vegan for about two weeks once, but it was too expensive for me and I found it much harder to adjust to it than I did to vegetarianism.

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind, since many people's views may have changed since then, plus any kind of discussion helps keep the forum going.

---

Right, going back on topic, I guess I could mention that I actually managed to get a nice bargain on that copy of The Last of Us that I got a few weeks ago. :p When getting music/books/games I usually buy them online, after a bit of research and finding the cheapest sellers on Amazon or someplace, but sometimes I check in the local shops too in case they have some discount or something. When I was looking for TLoU, they had a few new copies at the store and most of them were over 20 quid, but there was one GOTY edition (with the singleplayer and multiplayer DLC included) stacked behind them that was only 10 quid! Someone either made a mistake or it was left over from a previous sale of some kind, but since it said £10 on the box, that's what they had to charge me. :D

Apart from that, I don't think I bought anything that interesting recently - just the usual groceries, vodka, and beers. :p

13. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Kick-ass! :D

These are all really good points that I don't believe many people realize.

Hahaha, exactly. This thought has crossed my mind several times in the past. Most nobody would want to go out on a rampage shooting spree if the chance of being met with immediate resistance by other gun-wielding citizens is high. It would almost be like trying to rob a gun store. However, I see the concern about being able to carry a gun to school. One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post was that the law is for college campuses.....Though, they're passing some other laws that will affect grade schools as well -elementary, middle, and high schools (I'm not familiar how they are referred to in European countries....I know DarknessEnevlopes once told me, but I have since forgotten). Anyway, The laws for the grade school will allow teachers/professors/instructors to carry firearms, within the school and during lecturing, just as long as they successfully complete a "gun course" and some psychiatric tests. Now, I feel completely fine with being able to carry a gun on a college campus, but it sounds weird, to me, when a similar law will is being passed for grade schools. I know the majority of school shooting occur in grade schools and having teachers being able to "fight back" for once might be able to hold back any psycho intruders; but, during the meantime that nothing happens, I feel like there will be a high chance for one of the kids to get a hold of a teachers weapon and start shooting. Or perhaps another faculty member to go crazy.

haha, nice!

I'm sure you might have already heard, but there was just an incident where a dumb kid fell into a gorilla area and they had to kill it.

Oh wow, I didn't know that there was a difference. I always thought vegan was short for vegetarian:laugh:. And those cage-free chicken eggs are delicious.

---

:shocked: Bro, that's a steal!! Nice buy.

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. You definitely don't wanna give teenagers easy access to guns because even stable ones are likely to have outbursts of anger due to hormones and other things that naturally affect everyone as people mature. And when you give teachers guns yet all students remain unarmed, it seems a bit shady and could also result in some strange situations. It would make it easier for hidden pedophiles and other sickos to abuse their positions in schools. Plus kids, especially in secondary schools (I think that's middle schools in the US), can be a real nuisance. Back at my school one of the teachers got kicked out and had legal trouble because he beat a student who was causing chaos in class. Not saying that the teacher was right to attack the kid physically - even though that guy was a dick it still doesn't make it right, but imagine how much worse it could have ended if the teacher had a gun in the drawer of his desk? :shocked:

---

I finally got an air gun that I put an order in for around a week ago. It's a Crosman Vigilante (including a photo below - I didn't take it, it's an official one I got off Google). Would love to do some target shooting on cans/bottles with it in the backyard, but I'm not sure how the neighbours would react and it may actually be illegal as I don't technically own this property (it's a council house, a type of state-owned housing in the UK that is rented by the local government to residents who can't afford to buy their own or can't rent a decent one from some asshole landlord). However, I have found out that there's a shooting range not far from here. I'm not gonna use their guns because they have a much worse selection of real firearms and are more expensive than my favourite range back in Poland, but it's a nice place where I could bring my air gun and practice my aim I guess - even though it's not the same thing without the recoil and weight. :p

[​IMG]

15. Skaara Dreadlocks

Juicy! :shocked:
    How many shots are there per barrel? Six, or ten?

I recently bought.... hold onto your hats ladies and gentlemen..... Anduril!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's just a decorative sword, so the blade would probably loosen from the handle if I used it on anything, but it's MASSIVE, and it's two-handed and really heavy and long and shiiiiiiiiiiiny with beautiful engravings on the blade. It came with a small shield-like frame decor thing to hang it on :)

#615 Skaara Dreadlocks, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Six for pellets, 10 for BBs.

Shiiit, that is sweet!

17. TotalAaron

Hearts of Iron 4

18. Skaara Dreadlocks

My very first Saxophone! Behold! :D

[​IMG]

After just two hours of playing, it went from sounding like an angry elephant, to sounding like an angry goose. Improvement! :lol:
    It's rather difficult to learn the right technique with your mouth, 'cause you have to squeeze the "reed" with your lips with the exactly correct pressure, and blow with the exactly correct pressure. The instrument is rather intimidating, 'cause it has a lot of buttons and pipes all over, and you don't even know how to hold it, for starters. But after watching a quick video, I've finally even played my own little tune :D

19. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

That's pretty nice, good luck with further lessons.

20. Skaara Dreadlocks

Thanks a lot! :) I'm not very enthusiastic about taking physical lessons because it's quite expensive and I'd probably have to drive a considerable distance, and with the medieval combat training going, I probably wouldn't find the time for any Sax-lessons. And the first couple lessons would probably be like "Okay, today we're gonna learn how to hold it" and "Today we're gonna learn how to clean it" :lol: Not that that's not necessary, it's just that I've got a feeling I can learn faster from lessons on the net; the lessons (be it in a digital book or in a video) are pre-written/pre-recorded so they are usually much more direct, correct and less time-consuming, in addition to being way cheaper.

I'm really eager to be able to play well, I just love the sound the sax makes when it's played correctly. I found a couple of videos on youtube that're just absolutely amazing, you need to watch these!
    [YOUTUBE]?v=89_KXT5ztTU[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]?v=v-IluLd2BjI&list=RDv-IluLd2BjI[/YOUTUBE]

I like air instruments because it's kinda like singing. Even though most of us (probably all of us) can't sing for sh**, we all probably enjoy singing along with music when listening on your headset or singing in the shower etc.. blowing air into an instrument is the same feeling, but it makes a beautiful sound if you can play it correctly. I bet that just about anyone who likes to listen to music, would love to MAKE music if they could just be bothered to try, but I'll have to admit that it's really a trial of patience. But once you get to the point where it actually sounds okay, it's a darn good feeling. One thing I like about the Sax is that it can pretty much make a screaming sound and it just sounds really really cool. Nobody can do that with their voice... well, except Screamin' Jay Hawkins :lol: ... that guy is a living Saxophone.
    [YOUTUBE]?v=PwXai-sgM-s[/YOUTUBE]

#620 Skaara Dreadlocks, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016