The last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV & Music' started by Luster, May 4, 2011.

1. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

He could have at least gone to stand where his wife was at; and even then, that distance would still be considered rather dangerous for an explosion that size. but I guess nothing can stop you when you're in the moment for some badassary. And I was looking for any debris, from the house, that might have landed near him, but I guess I was looking too fast and in the wrong place. IF you didn't notice, Quentin Tarantino also made an appearance :p. He was the guy that got blown up toward the end, when Django was negotiating with the patty wagon crew so that they could set him free. He was the chubby guy carrying the satchel of dynamite when Django shot the dynamite pack :lol:.
    I've heard of the original, but have yet to watch it.

#661 NuclearWastE3, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  2. Dogpatch

Dogpatch Well-Known Member

Watched Gladiator for the gazillionth time the other night. Awesome movie.

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

That movie is absolutely great, I watched it recently too :)

3 Days To Kill. -Very good, reminded me a lot of the Taken movies with Liam Neeson. Characteristic characters, actual realizm and a good story. It wasn't very unique, but it was still very good. 7/10.

Also, watched the last The Hobbit movie on cinema recently. 9/10 because I love the series, but as a movie on its own, it wasn't very good. I guess I was expecting more from a finale, and didn't quite get that epic feeling. That's why it doesn't get a 10/10. It also annoyed me when the movie was getting to a dramatic moment, and the person beside me went "I know what happens cus I read the book" with an exaggerated sad voice and sad face expression, and that just immediately made me realize what was gonna happen. That kind of ruined it a bit for me. Bleugrhhgurhg. Still a very good movie, though :)

#663 Skaara Dreadlocks, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  4. NuclearWastE3

Regular

:pound: Ha-hah-ha-ha! Oh wow, that's funny, but I'm sorry that had to happen to you. I've always felt like the people around you (not you necessarily, I'm speaking in general) tend to involve you in things, involuntary, and have to ruin something -whether it be a movie or coughing right as they walk past and end up getting you sick.

#664 NuclearWastE3, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
  5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I haven't posted on the forum in a bit and I haven't really talked about any movies I watched in ages, so I'm going to leave this long post here:

Gravity – watched this in 3D and it was brilliant. I’m generally not an advocate of 3D movies (it’s overpriced and the quality varies greatly depending on how well each filmmaker utilises the technology, so it can be very hit or miss), but the way they used it here seems just right and enhances the experience. Furthermore, I think this might be the best use of 3D in a movie of such scale yet. Bullock is very convincing as the lead cosmonaut Stone. In addition, the whole thing felt relatively real for science fiction. Obviously, the effects and whole look of the scenes is stunning, but what astonished me the most is how unusual Gravity is for a Hollywood production; there are actually only two main actors who show their faces throughout the whole duration of the movie and the atmosphere of the film is… cosmic. :p. It’s still a blockbuster, but one that tries really hard to be art house, which I absolutely loved.

Powstanie Warszawskie (2014) – this one was marketed in Poland as the “first non-fiction war drama”. Although I don’t know if that claim is 100% true, this film is certainly very unique. It is not only set during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944, but was also filmed there. It was created through the careful editing and restoration of about 7 hours of real footage from the uprising (much of it was in very bad shape, for obvious reasons) that was boiled down to about an hour and a half. The scenes presented were filmed at various times during the fighting and by many different cameramen. On top of adding colour and cleaning up the ancient footage, they’ve also added audio to the picture. The two main characters of the film are narrators and those who apparently filmed the scenes, but everyone who actually appears on screen was a real person. Overall, Powstanie Warszawskie is an at times depressing, other times inspiring, but always real insight into the uprising. The voiceover is done thoughtfully and maturely, but sometimes it lessens the impact of what is being shown.

Toxic Avenger – I’ve been meaning to watch this film for quite a while, however it’s only recently that I finally had a chance and got round to it. I thought I knew what I was getting myself into (I was anticipating a silly yet entertaining American b-movie), but Toxic Avenger truly surpassed my expectations… it is so incredibly stupid and funny beyond belief. It’s not art, it’s not clever, it is just really entertaining. I can’t recommend this to everyone, though those who enjoy bad films will certainly find this to be a hell of a treat.

12 Years a Slave – based on true events recorded by Solomon Northup himself in his memoir of the same name, this film is generally quite touching and emotional. The fact that it is grounded in reality only adds to its weight and should make any decent human being feel deep hatred for the slavers of the olden days. Even though there are plenty of good performances here (including Chiwetel Ejiofor as Solomon), I personally think that Michael Fassbender stands out the most as the despicable Edwin Epps. For me, it’s this film along with Prometheus and the newer X-men flicks that show how fantastic Fassbender is as an actor. Back to the film as a whole though, I think it is quite powerful in turning mere facts & figures from a history textbook into a heartfelt piece of work against slavery and racial discrimination, partially thanks to basing its plot on a real story.

The Wolf of Wall Street – another exciting and big Hollywood movie that I recently saw and one that did not disappoint. Apparently it too is based on a true story, but I have no idea how faithful it is to the source material and whether the original book is very credible either. What I do know is that it is a very fast-paced, comical and well-made film that shows just how crooked and absurd the individuals at Wall Street can be. Leonardo DiCaprio plays the main character of Jordan Belfort very well here and it’s no surprise, considering his previous collaboration with Scorsese in The Departed. These two people just work together brilliantly. The Wolf of Wall Street itself is extremely entertaining (if a bit too long) and its style reminded me of Goodfellas.

Pacific Rim – this one is from Guillermo del Toro, but it is nothing like some of his other films (except maybe for the visual design of the kaiju). It’s no dark fantasy – it is a straight up monster movie. It’s not deep and it doesn’t seem like it’s trying to be, which is fine because it was still quite fun to watch and the effects were stunning. It’s definitely more Hellboy than Pan’s Labirynth or Devil’s Backbone, though quite different altogether. Above all, it is just a nice rollercoaster ride from a director who knows what he is doing in most of his films.

In addition to the Western movies I wrote about above, I watched some older Polish films as well (from the Polish People’s Republic); none of them are huge productions and all are virtually unknown in the West so yous probably won’t ever have a chance to see them, and their atmosphere would probably be quite alien to someone who wasn’t born and raised in Eastern Europe anyway, so that’s why I won’t talk as much about them. Here they go:

Dwa żebra Adama – a smart and oftentimes hilarious comedy from 1963 that makes fun of some of the more absurd habits of Polish mentality. The story revolves around a growing town and how its citizens are affected by the arrival of a key public figure’s “second wife” from Italy.

Siedem czerwonych róż, czyli Benek Kwiaciarz o sobie i o innych – a more abstract film about the realities of life in early 1970s Poland (it also makes evident the importance of vodka in Polish society at the time) – it was based on a number of short stories and a screenplay authored by “mały realizm” writer Marek Nowakowski.

Chleba naszego powszedniego – for some reason I just absolutely loved this one. It’s from 1974, it is about two Polish peasants (father and son) who arrive in the rapidly expanding capital city of Warsaw and try to adapt to their new surroundings. Basically, a contrast between tradition and what was modern urban life in Poland at the time.

Monidło – this short film from the late 1960s takes place almost entirely in one room and stars four actors. It is very funny and well-acted (based on a story by Jan Himilsbach), where a “kanciarz” sells an order for a monidło to a drunken father.

I tend to appreciate productions from the PRL quite a bit, as they are usually much better and cleverer than most of the movies currently being made in Poland; these four films are no exception to this and I enjoyed all of them.

6. NuclearWastE3

Regular

@Bamul: Nice summaries and view points on your selections. I've seen four of the movies from your list -Gravity, Toxic Avenger, 12 Years a Slave, Pacific Rim- and agree with you in all the points that you've made. You might have noticed, but, in case you haven't, my sub-name tag that goes under my username is "The Toxic Avenger" :)p). The first movie of the series is the best, while the rest just get worse as they progress in numerical value. In the second one, he goes to Japan (which was an alright movie), then the third one, he fights satan (kind of boring for me), and the fourth one was just bad. I don't even think I finished watching that movie :)lol:). The company, Troma, was suppose to release a fifth title, about a year or two back, but, for some reason, it has not been released. I also know that the original toxic avenger was turned into a Broadway Musical, as well as a short series for Marvel Comics.

I know Gravity was criticized a lot by the science community, saying that what happened in the movie was unrealistic, but I highly enjoyed it. 12 Years a Slave had a nice story and acting (some what like Django but without the Quentin Tarantino touch), and, for me, Pacific Rim was a blast to watch.

Last movie I watched was Guardians of the Galaxy. It was quite good and it had lots of action.

#666 NuclearWastE3, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yes, I noticed your forum rank is "Toxic Avenger" and I figured you'd be the first person to reply about the movie. :p Those are some interesting things about the film/series that I didn't know before, thanks for sharing. As for Guardians of the Galaxy, I've heard plenty of good things about it and wouldn't mind watching it someday, but first I'd have to catch up on all the other recent Marvel movies I've missed. Probably going to start with X-Men: Days of Future Past.

8. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I have to say that, while fassbender and everyone in it did a great job as actors, I thought twelve years a slave not well directed and some of the scenes were not done well in my opinion

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Can you elaborate please? I have to say I didn't give much critical thought to most of these movies whilst writing this post and was just aiming to give yous a general idea of what I thought about them, so it's be interesting to hear a different view. :)

10. NuclearWastE3

Regular

:D I always imagined my forum rank remaing anonymous and original, but.... you've figured it out.
    And I'm the same with the Marvel movies. The last one I saw, before the superhero movies started appearing almost every month, was The Avengers.
    I would say the part when Brad Pitt comes in.
    I also didn't like that girl that asked the main character to kill her. Asking the him was fine, but, holding him against it because he wouldn't do it was week.
    ---------------------------------
    I'm going to see the Hobbit, later on today, even though I haven't seen the first part; and I will be thinking about what you said, Skaara, about the person next to you ruining the dramatic scene in the movie. From your post, I'm pretty sure on what will happen. Thanks for the heads-up :p.

#670 NuclearWastE3, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  11. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I just can't word it well, some of the scenes were just badly done and went on for too long, the hanging scene comes to mind, I was watching some movies from 2013 like wolf of wall street and dallas buyers club, which I would recommend wholeheartedly as it is an amazing film but anyway, 12 years a slave beat those two films to an oscar and I couldn't for the life of me understand why. I could understand if any of the actors in the film got oscars as Lupita Nyong'o did because they were very good but as a film, it was sub par directing in my opinion

12. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Yeah, the latest Hobbit movie wasn't that epic. Me, not being a fanatic of the movies, found the battle of "the five armies" disappointing. The battle/war at the end of the 3rd Lord of the Rings was much larger. There were also a lot of things that I questioned because the director messed up or it just didn't make any sense. Also, the dwarfs seem to have super human strengths and are able to pick up rocks, which seem to weigh up to 1 ton, and walk around with them as if they weighed nothing. There was also this other part the I noticed that I found funny. When the dwarfs are gearing up in the armory (midway through the movie) one of the dwarfs is handing out long bows and you can see that the string on the bow is not even taut (completely flimsy) and made out of twine.

I didn't think the movie was bad, it just wasn't great. I could see why many people, who are big fans of the lord of the rings and the hobbit, would find this last bit disappointing. And I wasn't really sure what part is was you were talking about, Skaara. There were a few points where I asked myself "is this it?" but really, I didn't think there was a time, in the movie, that wasn't obvious what was about to happen to a certain character -that, or your previous post prepared me for it and I was numb to it when it actually happened.

13. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I've watched several movies since my last post, so I'll try to keep things short:

1) Omega Doom: A movie, set in the future, of an earth, set in ruins, after a war between man and machine (robots). Sounds like the Terminator, but it's completely different. Also, the movie wasn't the best; but, with my poor taste in movies, I liked it. A hybrid robot appears out of nowhere and seeks to destroy any other surviving robots. The setting of the movie is small and it only spans across three locations -all of which are adjacent to each other. Low budget movie. My rating 4/5 starts, if I was serious 1/5 starts.

2) New World Disorder: A movie about a new computer security program that proved to be unhackable. Some bandits find out about and seek to claim it for themselves. A detective attempts to stop the bandits from getting a hold of the program. My rating 4/5 stars, if I was serious 2/5 stars.

3) Escape from Sobibor: This movie is set during World War II, in a concentration camp. The Jewish captives and a few Russian soldiers -who were also Jewish and put in captivity- seek to find a way out of the camp. It is based on a true story. My rating 4/5, if I was serious 3/5

4) The Monument's Men: Also set in World War II, this movie is about a group of American Soldiers who are assembled and ordered to preserve historical art pieces from the front-line of Easter Europe. There are Nazis in the movie and some Russians occasionally appear. Based on a true story. My rating 4/5, if I was serious 3/5.

Battle Royal: TotalAaron recommended this movie to me several months back. This is the Hunger Games before the Hunger games; except, it's set in Japan. It's also "more" believable, I guess, because it's set in a "normal" time like we are in, right now -the only thing different is that people throw teenagers into a game where they get to slaughter each other. My rating 4/5, if I was serious 4/5

5) The Pyramid: This one is a horror movie. If any of you have seen Chernobyl Diaries, it's that, but in an Egyptian pyramid. There are, of course, the dumb characters and the "Oh my gosh he/she is dead *loud scream*," and then "*in calm voice* Okay, guys, how are we going to get out of here?" moments. There were a couple of good jump scares. My rating 4/5, if I was serious 4/5.

6) Billy Madison: This is an Adam Sandler movie. He plays an almost retarded guy that decides to go back to school, starting from the earliest grade-level, to prove to his dad that he can take over the family company. I thought this was funny movie and it made me laugh. My rating 4/5 stars, if I was serious 4/5 stars

7) :lol: Dumb and Dumber To: Finally, my favorite of the list. I found this movie absolutely hilarious. It's a great comeback, especially after the not-so-good prequel of Dumb and Dumber, Dumb and Dumberer. This third installment is either just as good or way better than the first movie -I'd have to watch the first one, again, to remember. This was just a great movie with so many, very dumb moments. The situations are pretty similar to the first movie; though, it's all new material that'll make you laugh (hopefully). Also, they pass through the city in which I live in, let's see if you are able to tell which one it is ;). My rating 5/5 stars, if I was serious 5/5 stars. I recommend it.

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Interesting, since - as far as I'm aware - most of the escapees of Sobibór were Polish/Belarusian/Ukrainian Jews, rather than Russians, but I may be wrong. I know that Soviet POWs were also involved, but I believe most of them were from Belarus and Ukraine as well. It's either my mistake or the movie just chose Russians to be the heroes since they seem to be much more popular in the West than any of the other Eastern European nations. I've seen Battle Royale, but that was about 10 years ago so I don't remember much of it. I think it was quite fun to watch though. :p

15. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Yeah, the majority of them were Polish/Belarusian/Ukrainian. The Russian group was actually very small -at least, according to the movie- that consisted of no more than ten men; and they don't come into the movie until halfway. They could have been all been Polish/Belarusian/Ukrainian, but the movie claims they were captured Russian soldiers from the front-line. And I thought that the movie got a little suspenseful once the prisoners began putting their escape-plan into practice. Apparently, there were about 600 captives and either half, or a little less than half, managed to escape, alive. I had never heard of Sobibór until this movie.

16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I heard about the death camp at Sobibór sometime ago, but I first heard about the escape only like a year ago. Unfortunately, even most of those who managed to escape died during the war (the majority were eventually recaptured and killed). Still, it is an amazing example of people resisting Nazi brutality in an area (death camp) that was the hardest to live through during the war, let alone resist. I'm not saying that to depreciate the armed partisans in cities and countrysides (some of my family fought this way as well), I'm just saying that it was much harder for anyone to organise armed resistance straight from a death camp than it was anywhere else in occupied Europe.

#676 Bamul, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  17. NuclearWastE3

Regular

It is very amazing how they were to escape, the way they did. After having looked it up, I leaned that Sobibór was one of two extermination camps -the other being Treblinka- that had, I guess you could say, a "successful" escape during WW II.

-----------------------------------------------
    I watched "Dumb and Dumber To," again. It's still funny.

18. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I recently went on a war movie binge and watched

Black hawk down a realistic depiction of Operation gothic serpent in the capital of somalia, great flick with some quite sad moments, the battle scenes are very well made with one of the best sounding 50cal sounds i have ever heard overall i give it a 9/10

FURY 2014 a suprise this film was i thought it would be normal hollywood crap but it was quite good but try and suspend your disbelife for a while (Tiger tank scores a flank shot on a sherman and the round bounces off, three times sure) overall a 7/10

19. Zigrus

Zigrus Member

lord of the rings

20. Dogpatch

Dogpatch Well-Known Member