The fall of cinema

Discussion in 'Movies, TV & Music' started by TotalAaron, Mar 10, 2013.

1. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

After hearing about another crappy film i have started to wonder if these are the days in which interactive entertainment (video games) will for once and for all overtake hollywood

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I think we're still a long way from that, but maybe someday. There definitely are a lot of crap movies nowadays and gaming has become much more mainstream than it used to be. You can even find the same type of people who would laugh at gamers just a few years ago, playing games themselves now.

3. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I mean when was the last Shawshank redemption level of movie released but hell i love games and i would prefer to pay $110 (AUS) for a game than 30 for another Resident evil halflice (shudder)

4. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

This. Since Hollywood is run by the uppity-up big wigs, they demand that the companies creating and producing the movies we see in theaters are doing sequels, prequels, 3D remakes and the like more often than they produce something original, thought-provoking, or different. The reason for this is that the big wigs and the heads of each production company don't want to lose money, or see a movie flop. Their first instinct in keeping power is to recreate what did well before. This is why we see a prequel to Oz coming out, this is why we see the fifth or sixth installment of Die Hard.

The movie industry is far from dead, but as long as the heads of the production companies allow some of the lesser known screenwriters to have their work shown, the industry will continue to stagnate - as we see it now.

Look up the "Blacklist". It is a list of 50 epic screenplays written and compiled every year by a certain magazine whose name escapes me at the moment. These are ranked by the magazine as the 50 best screenplays of the year, each one written by a normal, everyday person who just loves to write. When you read into some of the stories these screenplays entail, you'll look like :wacko: when you think about why big production companies choose to make Shut Up and Dance 7 instead.