Quantcast

The Ending: Did you hate it?

Discussion in 'Mass Effect' started by Chris_A, Feb 5, 2014.

1. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

To quote the guys from "In Living Color": "Hated it."

Just felt rushed and the ending was nonsensical. Sounds like ANOTHER Bioware game that was rushed. *Coughs*Dragon Age II *Coughs*

But like Queenbee said, the only saving them was the fanmade "Indoctrination Theory."

2. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I'm not a baby. Bioware can do whatever they want to with their games.

3. Rado.ko

Rado.ko Member

Well one could choose to belive in the Indocrination Theory and leave it at that. If it makes you satisfied, why not. Ofcourse, Bioware have a tendency to rush products from time to time, and now their timing was the worst ever. A trilogy that was loved by millions of people and they messed up the ending. No choice in there at all, three different cutscenes, that's it. On top of that, they were all the same, just a different color. Good thing they decided to release the Extended Cut, I personally liked it. It gave the trilogy somewhat of a decent ending, but it wasn't enough. Ofcourse, they had no other options at this time. The fans already had that bitter taste from the initial ending, so a totally different DLC wouldn't work. At least I think so.
    But the trilogy was overall really enjoyable, for me it was one of the few games that got me really hooked on the story and I didn't really care for the combat, at least on the first playtrough. The ending was a disaster, but the sweet memories remain.

4. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I like the endings of Mass effect 1 and 2 but 3 was a bit rushed for me. Anyway, still a great game.

5. I was so angry at the end. I really wanted Joker and EDI to travel off and have adventures of their own. I won't lie-I cried at the end. She and Joker had something special. The ending felt very rushed. I haven't played the DLC, but I hear it helps wrap up everything a bit better. I hope that's true. The ending was too much feels and not enough closure :(

6. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

I said the same thing. I feel like they rushed the ending, and it could have been done so much better.

7. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

I liked the ending as well. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was rather refreshing a degree of reality in the game; the hero doesn't always get a happy ending. I think BioWare made a mistake by caving to fan pressure and releasing the Extended Cut. Even if most people didn't like it, they should have stayed true to their vision of the Mass Effect universe.

8. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

*glares at her copy of Mass Effect 3*

I expected multiple endings that would fit with all the choices I made in the previous two games and for it to make since. The only reason I was so pissed off besides the ending, was because I brought the game brand new instead of waiting for it to be on sale...

9. Tanis

Tanis Active Member Regular

The first 30 hours of Mass Effect 3 were some of the best gaming experiences of my entire life. While I was playing, I was already hearing of this ending controversy, but I pressed on and kept an open mind. Then the ending hit me and I was left really disappointed. This was before they released the revised endings and even when I saw those, it still felt shallow. A few cutscenes doesn't make up for the disappointment felt the first time you reached the ending and was left sitting there thinking, "That's it?"

10. SereneAngel88

The really sad part? I went and got the Citadel DLC and became even more pissed off since I saw they put more care into it and it felt like a Mass Effect experience. Hell, had the game ended like that, I would have been satisfied (granted it could have been the Golden Ending if you did everything right in all three games). Ugh... just, why Bioware?

11. Necrotica

Necrotica Active Member Regular

Having such a bad ending was pretty much a slap in the face, mainly because we spent so much time with these characters and such a detailed plot. If it was the ending to some regular NES game, nobody would shake a stick at it. The reason we were all pissed was because of how much we grew attached to these long and intricate games.

12. SereneAngel88

I was mostly pissed because I preordered the damn thing and had I known what would happened, I could have save my money. The ending pissed me off for sure, but it was the fact that I put money into something that turned into crap at the end just made it worse.

13. Necrotica

Necrotica Active Member Regular

For sure. Plus, the revised endings weren't much of an improvement either. Overall, it's just such a weak way to close out such a wonderful trilogy.

14. SereneAngel88

Don't even get me started on the revised endings. The Refuse one was the worse-they might as well have shown a slide reel of every person that worked on the game giving you the middle finger while the ending plays. I would still be pissed, but at least I would know they were being honest about not giving a damn about the fan outcry.

15. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member Regular

It was very disappointing. Even with the reivisions, they are still not satisfactory and in tune with the themes portrayed in the rest of the game (and series). Oh well, at least the journey (the most important part for me) was great. I made up a new ending in my mind that better closes the game for me.

16. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member Regular

It's the stupidest thing I've seen, and this is the one game that made me stop pre-ordering altogether. I mean really, I lost so many people during the three games and that dumbass child that one time gave me nightmares and took the form of the Ex-machina ? How does that make any sense ? The reason for Reaper to exist can be good if ultilize well, or if we have any foreshadow in previous games. But no, the purpose is too big for us to comprehend, while in reality it is essentially a gardening job.

17. Bannon

Bannon Active Member Regular

I don't really hate the ending but I was very very, disappointed in it. If anything, it felt like a huge cop-out on Bioware's part to distill all the decisions you made throughout the games into war points; and the ending to be decided by which outcome you just liked better. If anything, I feel like we shouldn't have been given an option to choose the ending. Your actions should have dictated it much like how certain actions steered certain outcomes throughout the franchise such as the events involving Tali and the Geth. I'm actually surprised that the morality system didn't play a bigger role in it. By the end, it felt like it was completely overlooked and quite frankly, useless.