The Elder Scrolls Online

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

Yeah, that's right. I don't know how I came upon it, but today I realized that the game is out. I think.
    http://elderscrollsonline.com/en-uk
    Well, this is interesting. I watched the cinematic trailer, and it looks sweet sweet sweet. It really makes me buy the game, but then I checked out Angry Joe's review of it, and I pretty quickly understood that the game definitely doesn't look like the cinematic trailers.
    [YOUTUBE]?v=upE802rZl7Q[/YOUTUBE]
    (Keep in mind that the video is of a Beta version).
    What I dislike, is that he said "It looks like a cheap budget Skyrim", and "It makes you want to play Skyrim".
    It really looks to me that this game hasn't really become what I expected, and you'd be a lot safer by betting on the Online Mod for Skyrim that never seems to be released.
    Normally, I'm the last person who has a problem with not having the money for it. But even I, as a rich Norwegian, find it excessively expensive to have to pay 60 euro for it, and then have to pay 15 dollars every single month to be able to play it online.

Also, it appears that the exclusive collection edition is complete utter bullcrap:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=-G4CFCU0fWM[/YOUTUBE]

I know it's a little early for me to judge the game as I've only watched two negative reviews, and haven't seen much more, but I still am disappointed already. I hope to find some positive feedback about it somewhere. I'm still watching reviews and videos of it.

That's why I'd like what you guys think of it all?

EDIT:
    Here Angry Joe talks a lot more positively about the game, and it does encourage me a little, but I still think the price is very high, and it still doesn't really look like my type of game to be honest.

[YOUTUBE]I82pz60iGL0[/YOUTUBE]

#1 Skaara Dreadlocks, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  2. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Damn rich norwegians ;) I cant say i had much interest in this to be honest, looks kind of uh, not good

Edit- its 4AM and i may be drunk so my post shoul be considerf gospel

3. Fixed last video.

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

[​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

[​IMG]

7. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

[​IMG]

Never played an Elder Scrolls game, so I can't say I'm a fan, but It looks like fun; especially the part when they're taking siege of the castle. Though, it's defiantly overpriced..... LEEROY JENKINS!! It should drop down in price in a few month, and hopefully by then things will start looking better. If not, then they should at least drop the monthly service fee.

8. Skaara Dreadlocks

Agreed. Although, after so many years, I still can't get my mind around why so many people think it's written "Defiantly" when it's "Definitely" :p

But you should try out Skyrim. It almost has infinite gameplay hours. I really wonder how many hours I used on Skyrim when I had a cracked version. I've bought it in steam later on because Bethesda really deserves the money, and I've already used 82 hours playing it in Steam. That's probably 1/4 of how long I played it before I got it in steam.

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

One thing that often annoys me is that MMOs (and plenty of games from other genres as well) always have really well-made cinematic trailers... but the games are never anything like them. I find it frustrating that so much talent, care, time and money was put into making such beautiful trailers, when all of that could have been used for development of the actual game. Still, I guess it's much better than what happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines - where they made something that looked reasonable and lied to everyone that it was what the game really looked like, when the finished product was different and significantly worse.

10. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

My bad. :D
    It still works out, but in a dumb way.

11. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Played the last Beta session before launch, wasn't a big fan. I like that at least try kinda tried to give things an actual Elder Scrolls-ish story, but any sense of immersion is just completely killed by the fact that it's an MMO. I don't get how they expect anyone to buy into any of the "You're the chosen one!" bullshit when there are literally another hundred of you running around doing the exact same things.

Oh what's that? The city is under siege all of a sudden once I talked to this one person? I guess I'd better follow this guard though a remarkably more destroyed part of the city literally 10 feet away from the starting area (where nobody seems to think that anything even remotely weird is going on), with him stopping every 30 feet or so to remark on the tragic death of a random body just laying in the middle of an empty street.

Oh, I need to go kill the unholy guardian of a tomb so I can awaken some kind of demon to kill this apparently-unstoppable army? I guess I'll just go join the mob of 30 people spawn-killing him every minute.

Oh, what's that? Siege machines outside of the walls? I guess I'll just walk up to them and press e to light all of them on fire without any contention, in light of the fact that every enemy that spawns gets killed immediately by xp farmers.

If you like MMO's and have the pockets for it, then I'm sure it's fine, it's just nothing like an actual Elder Scrolls game. I might check it out again when it goes F2P in a month or two.

12. Oh goodie, look whom I've met:

[YOUTUBE]najAPgy0TWQ[/YOUTUBE]

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

M'aiq über alles!

14. Heavygunner

Heavygunner Well-Known Member
    Regular

Wut Bamul in German 0.o

15. "M'Aiq talking about everything"

16. Dogpatch

Dogpatch Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

I'm a huge fan of The Elder Scrolls, played (and modded) Skyrim to death on PC since the day of its release, and finished it half a dozen times over on PS3 too. I tried, and tried, to be excited about The Elder Scrolls Online but the thought of TES as an MMO just made me sick. Then I played a couple of Beta weekends and saw what another piece of crap MMO it actually is... (it's just yet another MMO)

"Ok so where's this guy I need to talk to for the quest... I see him, over there by the fifty morons jumping around like idiots. They're there for the same quest, no doubt.... Oh, that's right, this is an MMO..." *alt+F4*

17. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I was never interested in it and skyrim is the only elder scrolls game I like and coincidently probably the game I've played most. I also don't really like mmo's although I am interested in the Division but that's not an MMO as much as others

18. Skaara Dreadlocks

What I'd want, is the Skyrim Online Mod that I've heard some small-talk about. I have no idea when it'll come out, if it ever will at all. I'm just thinking Skyrim would be awesome if it was exactly the way it already is, just with friends/against friends and/or a few other online players. Despite how the bots are very lively, and there's many of them, and you can even have a follower, they're still just bots, and it feels lonely. I love playing online with friends, and I love Skyrim. A combination of that would be great; Not changing anything other than adding several players into one game/server. Just experiencing and discovering and fighting Skyrim, with a living companion.

19. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Last time I've seen that mod it was in very early stages... players could see each other, but they hovered without using their limbs when moving and everyone looked like a naked Nord male. However, that was ages ago - I honestly thought they'd stopped working on it. It would be awesome if it eventually came out.

20. Anyone here plays TESO? I need your help.