Quantcast

The Division: New York Collapse

Discussion in 'The Division' started by Cyborg Superman, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

The Division: New York Collapse is a guidebook that'll be released on the same day as the game. It's been described by Ubisoft as a guide that's written with accounts from before the game's events. I guess you can uncover game secrets by reading it, which probably means it'll reveal locations or coordinates... That will probably find their way online fairly quickly, unfortunately.

Are you going to be picking this up? It's kind of a cool addition to the game.

2. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

Kinda sounds cool actually since the look seems to not care much about telling a solid story and focus more on the gameplay aspect. I think it's a great way to explore the world of the game without having a 5 minute cut scene explaining everything slapped right across your face.

If this guidebook has some sort of concept art in it, kind of like an art book, I would probably get one. If it's just text then it's a no.

karamara likes this.
  3. harlek

harlek Active Member Regular

This sounds interesting, I mean if the game isn't relying on cut scenes to tell the story then this might be Ubisofts way of shoehorning the narrative to the audience without having to insert it to the game. I agree with Becca here, if the guide book looks awesome, with all the game art and stuff I would definitely buy one, makes a for a great addition to your pile of magazines and books on your bookshelf.

4. karamara

karamara Active Member Regular

Ooohh! I love art books! I would definitely pick this guide book if it's filled with juicy game art and all that fun stuff. Also, wouldn't it be great if this guide book is designed to look like it's been inside the game? Kind of like a real world item from the world of The Division? That would be awesome as hell.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I will definitely pick this up! Since Ubisoft aren't trying to focus too much on cutscenes and story I feel like a book that contains more information is worth it, plus you can find some eastereggs to make the gameplay more interesting! :p

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

I don't know. This is a new IP so I don't want to spend too much money on something I don't know and haven't tried. I'll just try the game. :D

7. Cyborg Superman

Yes! That would be awesome, kind of like how Batman: Arkham Origins added some wanted posters for The Batman and such, it looked straight out of Gotham, they were pretty sweet (and are hanging on my wall). I hope they put some effort into this and it's not just a cash grab because it reveals "exclusive tips and tricks!", you know?

8. karamara

karamara Active Member Regular

Oh that Batman one was sweet! I have that one also. Yeah I wish they put more effort on those 'extra' things. My living room is full of video game related stuff, from art books (which I have a ton of) to figurines, I have them. Too bad some of them are so poorly made that you don't even want to take them out of the box and just keep it hidden in plain sight.

9. Cyborg Superman

Hahaha yup, same here, except it's extended to my whole house haha. I've been pretty lucky with collector edition statues being pretty detailed and amazing (Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham series, etc.). Which one have you felt have been poorly made? Especially if you're dropping $100+ for the statue, you'd expect a minimum of quality.

10. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Well-Known Member Regular

Haha, I'm not the only one with a house full of assorted video game paraphanalia and limited edition collectables then. Some of them are just churned out for the cash with no real emphasis on making them of good quality its true. I can't really see Ubisoft not making this extra full of good content though. They've announced it with plenty of time before we'll get to see it so I think they are probably well-prepared to produce a high quality addition to the game. I hope the easter-eggs are hinted at rather than outrightly given away, it would be great to follow clues from the book in order to find them, it would add so much to The Division, a whole level of sub challenges as long as you can avoid reading the spoilers that will inevitably be all over the internet as soon as its released.

11. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member Regular

I'll play the game and pick it up if I become a big fan.

12. Cyborg Superman

That's one of the major changes in video games that I have the hardest time with: spoilers. It used to be, you were only spoiled if you read Nintendo Power, now any time you navigate to any kind of entertainment site, you run the risk of spoilers. I've even had stuff spoiled in a completely unrelated article, where someone decided to talk about a random TV show that I hadn't had the chance to watch yet.

13. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, it's ruined so many games for me :(

14. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member Regular

That sounds like it'd be kind of helpful. I will probably get the book since it reveals some things about the game. But I hope it's worth it and the game is actually good.

15. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Aw man, I'm a sucker for these sorts of things. I always enjoyed this companion guide books in the early eras of video gaming, but the fact that this is basically a lore story makes it so much more interesting. Plus, post apocalyptic genre is one of my favorites, and I enjoy so much to learn why it all happened and this seems like the perfect thing. Definitely picking it up.

16. JC_224

JC_224 Active Member Regular

I'm definitely intrigued by this idea having not heard of it before. Have there been any pictures or screenshots of the types of content we could find inside this guide book? I'd very much like to see art that depicts the fall of New York or even the possibility of other areas rather than just text based lore/stories.

17. d'arakh

So, I'm not allowed to post links, but if you google The Division: New York Collapse, you'll get a result which leads you to the Ubisoft announcement page where there is a screenshot and some description.

It basically makes it seem like it's a survival guide made by survivors in the first days of collapse. From what I understood, they also have some stories written by people who have witnessed it all first hand. I'm absolutely in love with concept, I have to say.

18. JC_224

JC_224 Active Member Regular

No worries, I understand that rules are rules! I just checked out what you were suggesting and I'm more than impressed from what I can see. It sounds extremely interesting with the hint of potential real life survival tips and ways to escape bad scenarios/situations. Thanks for awaring me on this book, I'll probably pre-order this on Amazon in the near future.

19. d'arakh

I went back to the official site to check out if this book is maybe available through pre-order as a part of a Collector's Edition and it's not. I mean, Collector's Edition is already sold out but they didn't offer much useful stuff in it. I'd rather have this book than say, a watch or a poster.

I think I'll definitely order the book online and buy it anyway, I just think it's silly not to sell it along with the game. God forbid they actually sell you something fun and useful to the game you're actually buying.

20. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Wait. It says it's a guidebook, but then it's also a novel that tells about previous events? Which one is it? This is not just like a guide for the game, right?