Quantcast

The Cid to end all Cids

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy' started by SLTE, Jan 27, 2016.

1. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Most - all? - versions of Final Fantasy have a Cid. He might have a tweaked name, he might not always pilot an airship, his personality may be completely different from game to game, and he might not always be a man, but if there's a Final Fantasy, there's a good chance there's going to be a Cid. Which Cid is your favourite?

I have to go with Final Fantasy VII Cid. I love that, within about two minutes of dialogue, he managed to out-brusque even Barret. He's a hilarious character, great in battle, and has a genuinely affecting story behind his gruff exterior.

Second place goes to Cid from Final Fantasy XII. The first villainous Cid, as far as I know, and one of the more interesting characters in the game. (Though I found the cast of FFXII a little bland, on the whole, so that may not be saying much.)

2. RumbarBrook

RumbarBrook Active Member Regular

I have a soft spot for King Cid from IX. It was one of the first times you could play as someone who wasn't really a main character, albeit for a short time.

3. SLTE

He was a pretty great Cid, I agree. I loved that he was always rocking the 'stache, whether he was human, frog, or oglop.

4. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice Regular

Cid from FFII and Cid from FFIV are tied with my favorite Cids. I don't have my experience with the Final Fantasies after VII (I've been meaning to play them, I swear), but the early games have some pretty great characters too.

In FFII you play the post-game as every character who's died in the game so far. I'd almost recommend doing it if I didn't have post FFII stress disorder.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member Regular

Cid from FFII was the first Cid, and his airship has saved my bacon quite a few times. Cid Highwind from FFVII and Kingdom Hearts is clearly a fan favorite, and with good reason too. He's a funny character with a lot of personality. I also like Cid (Rikku's father) from FFX. It wasn't immediate, though, he seemed kind of mean in the beginning, but you grow to like him.

6. SLTE

FFX Cid's got the advantage of a great voice actor. His growly, moody voice is pretty awesome, and makes him equal parts humorous and threatening. Definitely one of the better Cids vocally.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member Regular

I did like the performance of FFX Cid's voice actor. I agree, he was funny in a grumpy way. He kind of embodied some of the wild and unorthodox ways of the Al Bhed too. No wonder Rikku's such a rebel. He may have been reluctant to assist Tidus and the others at first, but when he found out Yuna's life was on the line, Cid stepped us to help. He cares about his family, for sure, that being Yuna, Rikku, and Brother.

8. Verity Darkwaters

Verity Darkwaters Member Regular

Final Fantasy 7 Cid was amusing, but he was kind of a jerk and I didn't like Barret at all so I guess I am biased. Final Fantasy 4 Cid I really liked. The one that was Cecil's friend and was a little wise to his and Rosa's relationship. I still remember him jumping off the airship and closing off the entrance from the overworld.

9. SLTE

I would like FFIV Cid more if he wasn't kind of crap in battle. Don't get me wrong, he's strong, but damn is he slow. Edge can get in two, borderline three turns before Cid gets one. Epic beard, though, especially in The After Years. Epic beard.

10. Player7

Player7 Active Member Regular

I still remember the first impression I got after seeing that image from Cid from FFVII and the airplane drawn in the back, it transmitted some kind of "legendary story" feeling. At least that's how I felt and it was enough for me to like his character.
    Other than that I can't remember quite as well any other Cid apart from the fact that I know there is a Cid in every story who owns or pilots a plane or a super advanced flying machine.

P.S. Couldn't find the picture but this one is the most similar: [​IMG]

11. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

FFVII Cid is best Cid. The most memorable one for sure. I secretly really like the Cid from FFVIII, too. He reminds me of Robin Williams. :p