The best solo profession?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2 - Profession Discussion' started by Brains, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

Whats your guys opinion on the best profession to solo with? We all know the holy trinity is now gone. All the professions can solo but which one has the upper hand? I'm going with either Mesmer or Ranger. Ranger due to its pets ( In practically all MMO's the class with a pet always has the upper hand )

and from what i understand the pet can revive you too, Mesmer because well.. it seem they'll be able to do everything quite well with the use of clones. Warriors also has alot of survivability but i don't believe they'll be as good as the ranger due its advantage with pets. so really what is your thoughts on this? perhaps you guys might say any profession can solo & yes they can but which profession do you believe may be better at it.

2. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

hmm, well the pets be able to also revive you in pvp? but to stay on topic what about the guardian? sort of similar to a paladin or monk. i would think soloing would be a very easy if you make the guardian a hybrid of both offense and defense.

3. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

My bet is on either the Guardian, or the Necromancer. They both have so many dmg + heal hits that I think they'll be the best for soloing.

4. Microasian

Microasian Asian Power

Yep likely the necromancer, ranger and guardian will be the top 3. As for the best my guess will be Necro or Guardian due to life steal for necro and heals for guardian.

5. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

Well Guardian and Warrior are in heavy armor so that might help a bit. Ranger, Thief, and Engineer are in medium armor. Elementalist, Necromancer, and Mesmer are in light armor. I'm guessing that it depends on the content and the player (not the character) moreso in GW2 than in other games that have come out lately.

I wonder if type of armor affects underwater combat at all?

6. Tjernstrom

Tjernstrom Member

It would be funny if the guardian and warrior sank :d but that obviously won't be the case.

For soloing I going to put my money on the ranger, with a bear for tanking.

7. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

PVE
    pet class soloing ftw always.

PVP
    However, lot said that the Thief is well suited for solo pvping. You cant really front line or back line that well. And your surviability is based on surprise so its not a real group thing.

8. Aleister

Aleister Member

I'm guessing ranger and necro because of pets and durability. Rangers have Nature's Renewal which will make them very difficult to take down, and if they do go down their pet can always revive them. Necros have a second life bar through Death Shroud, a slew of minions, life drains, cc, and condition tools. I'm pretty confident that as a necromancer I could solo small groups of mobs at the same time.

9. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

Yeah i'm getting the vibe that the necro will be the best at soloing atm. Death Shroud is bawss

10. Deezy

Deezy Best in the World

You know with all the dodging mechanics and everything, I'd definitely agree that perhaps Guardian/Ranger/Necro would be more solo friendly to newer players. One thing to keep in mind though is any class can solo well provided they're good and able to dodge mobs attacks.

11. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

I vote it will be any of the professions containing pets. (Necro/Ranger)

12. Harley

Harley New Member

I've been hearing that the mesmer is the hardest profession but it is really good for leveling

13. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I change my earlier comment. Having watched a variety of beta footage i think they can all solo. The best is going to be subjective. Thats just my view.

14. Siedge

Siedge New Member

i didn't know that....

15. PainTrain

PainTrain Member

Yea, I'd have to go with Ranger, Necro, and Guardian.

16. Kayde

Kayde Member
    Staff Member

I hope all professions are equally good at pve ... Or soloing for that matter. The way arena net puts it it seems all classes are pretty equal in different ways

17. Chaosx

Chaosx Active Member

Historically pet classes have always been the easiest to solo with in MMORPG's, but I wouldn't under-estimate Arenanet....from what I understand, all classes will have the ability to solo. Even light armor nukers like Mesmers and Elementalists have the ability to nuke down mobs before they can reach you. however, my money is on Necro as being the king of the soloing professions.

18. Mimer

Mimer Clan Elder

What is definition of best?

First I want to state that I have been around in the MORPG (obs, no Massive) world for well
    over 30 years, so we have that fact out and done ;)
    So if I told you that to accomplish max level would take you to play 2-6 hours, six days a week
    (you get one free for sex and rock ;), dedicated full groups 70% of the time and if you do that
    for a year straigh you maybe, maybe will be max level, you probably will say:
    -"Who would pay for such stupid game!!?"

From my point of view there is no game nowadays that can be consider hard when it comes to
    effort, skill nor time invested to get a character to level cap.
    If, by hard, it means it takes more than two weeks/a month, well yes, there are some minor
    differencies. I even stumbled upon games where you can buy (for real money) tokens so your
    character can move around in a spot farming mobs for xp while you are afk. And there is actually
    players who pay for that!
    It would be fun to see how many would be buying an ingame scroll for, lets say £100 (GBP), that
    if you use it make your charcter max level and gives you a complete tier 2 armor and weapon set?

Enough rambling from an old fart!

My answer is that the best class for levelling, is the class You want to play for an extended time,
    for the sort of gameplay You prefer, WvW or PvE.
    No class in GW2 is by any means hard to level, it is just a difference in invested time.
    And consider what that time is worth to You compared with the fun You have while playing and
    the fun You have in the long run playing Your character at endgame waiting for new Expansions and
    new level caps ;)

So choose the class You feel that You want to spend the lenght of the game with, will it be 6 months
    or 2 years.
    And if You by any chance find it impossible to level that class, I promise You can come on these
    boards and spank me ... virtually of course ;)

2 people like this.
  19. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

Well said sir, but with that out the way... has there been morpgs for 30+ years?

20. Mimer

Mimer Clan Elder

Yes, if we should be strict, that it should be a roleplaying game played by several people
    over a network, it has existed since 1975 when Colossal Cave Adventure, created by
    Will Crowther, was born. It later beocame Zork and then Dungeon. These were all MUDs.

I came in contact with the MUD scene one of the first years in the 80's at my university
    (Stockholm, Sweden) when we stayed behind at nights and played MUDs over SUNET
    via our DEC PDP-10.

Of course they were text based (and ASCII), like, take one step forward, turn 90 degrees
    left, "you see a chest", what do you want to do? ... and so on.

And also, of course, it has little or nothing to do with todays MMORPG's, it is only an
    eccentric way for an old man to say that he has been around a long time. We have
    a tendency to be that way with growing age.

My first "real" MMORPG was Meridian59 in 1996, 16 years ago. It was full PvP and had
    most elements todays game has. Later I joined my guild Clan Wulf (est. 1998) in Ultima
    Online.
    Rest is history ... and future!