Tera VS World of Warcraft: Which is better and why?

Discussion in 'Tera' started by Tinkerbelle, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Member
    Regular

I am an avid World of Warcraft fan and am a bit leery of even trying out Tera, but I have heard so many good things about this game I am getting really tempted to try it out. The only negative thing I have heard so far is it requires one heck of a computer in order to play it, whereas World of Warcraft can still be played on a basic laptop. I do not want to have to go out and buy and a new laptop just to play a game, but if it's worth it, I might just do that. Can anyone give me some major positives on Tera vs World of Warcraft? Are they similar in any way or completely different? Is it true you must have a gaming computer in order to enjoy the game or can you get away with a high-performance laptop on the non-gaming side? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Both are pretty terrible to be honest, but if I had to pick one to play it would be WoW. The overly glossy look to the graphics in Tera combined with the clunky UI, non-standard combat system, and poor quest content make it a no go for me.

3. Alaire

Alaire Member
    Regular

I played Tera very briefly, and this was at least two years ago. Therefore I can only write based upon my experience then. Here's to hoping it has, at the very least, retained its value since then.

As a fellow avid WoW player, I ventured in Tera because of my military career, and I had only a limited time to remain in one place and try a new MMO. You're not going to find a very engaging story in Tera, but if you are looking for a quick fix to quest and kill things to relax, then it can sometimes suit the cravings.

Depending on who you are and what appeals to you personally... well... some have been disconcerted about how overly-sexualized many of the characters are presented. One only has to go to YouTube to hear the commentary and observe what I'm talking about. Exaggerated abs, or breasts, or muscle groups, or panty-shots all around. But that's not enough to bother everybody. It's just that some of us value an image a little closer to reality, in which an action/fantasy hero can have imperfections and still be attractive or at least more relatable. There are, I'm not kidding, little bunny girls with short skirts/dresses that have made people a little uncomfortable. There is a party/grouping mechanism built within the game, and one can hardly be surprised if a leader is asking for all of one race, based purely upon aesthetics.

Looking at the player character only, I found the animations rather fluid and fun to watch. I spent maybe fifteen to twenty minutes on a Slayer character and I loved her fancy sword work, in spite of the fact that she was a lower level. One huge plus I noticed, upon playing a Priest (?), was that she could hold her own in combat. Powerful offensive spells along with the ability to heal. Truth be told, I might have had more fun soloing on her because when I played with someone else (also new to the game) there were more wipes than smooth encounters. So definitely go in with a little more caution and awareness if you're going to play with another person.

I remember rolling hills and pretty flowers, and another quest involving climbing trees (so at least you can climb trees, if you enjoy that).

I can honestly say I don't see myself ever returning to the game, but mind you I have a strong bias because I was playing WoW for so long. You fall into habits based upon what you are used to doing for lengths of time. However, if in the future I find I'm totally sick of WoW again, and want a F2P MMO that is pretty, I will at least do a quick search and see what Tera has done since I last logged in. I remember absolutely nothing about a main story, or how one contributes to the world with every quest, but if you just want something to look at while mindlessly killing things, then Tera just might do the trick if you're totally bored otherwise.

thisnthat likes this.
  4. Nytegeek

Regular

HAH! It is only over sexualized if you are either a perv or a prude, or have very strict cultural views and choose to perceive it as such. I went to YouTube and looked. What a bunch of whiners and weirdos.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't have a lot of experience with Tera but I did play a lot of WoW back in the day, so I still think the latter is the best out of the two. I like the classic graphics and the characters better.

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

Tera has better combat imho, but everything else is way better in WoW.

7. mopli

mopli Active Member
    Regular

Even though Tera is F2P, I think you can't compare these two. WoW has been around for almost a decade, it has so much content and a really driven playerbase. Tera is new and has more of the new school MMO concepts. I think both are good.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would have to go with what I always go with in questions like this, and I would say World of Warcraft. It is just too much of an all time favorite of mine not to choose it. You have to go with the classic in my opinion, and it certainly takes the cake here. They are both good games though and I would not argue with anyone who likes either.

9. Nytegeek

Regular

Tera isn't as old as WoW, but you can hardly call it new.

10. Funky Fingers

Funky Fingers Active Member
    Regular

To be perfectly honest I don't like either. If I had to choose one of the two, I would probably go with World of Warcraft only because it has more feature and it's way more popular as a gamer (gotta go along with the peer pressure lol).

11. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, Tera excels in combat animations and visual aesthetics imo (over-sexualised or not, the characters are damn beautiful. Poporis are so cute and cuddly! :D But I was a bit disturbed by the whole thousands of year old little girls with some very adult voices concept. It just seemed... weird o_O) The vistas are just gorgeous. And each and every enemy model is well-designed and have very fluid animations.

On the other hand, if you want some real quest and/or story, give Tera a wide berth. It just doesn't have good story-telling/questlines. PvP is very awesome in Tera, but if you want the MMORPG experience of experiencing the world in its full majesty, Tera is just not the game to do it.

12. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

In what ways is the combat different in Tera?

Could you elaborate on the PvP aspects of Tera? Is there anything like rated bg's or arena or do you just play with randoms? Is it World PvP or objective based?

13. Haroon

Haroon Active Member
    Regular

Honestly saying that both games are very interesting and impressive to play.I have not played Tera for a long time but I really enjoyed my time by playing this game.The story of Tera is very addictive and it forces you to play it for many hours a day.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would probably need a little reminder when it comes to Tera as well but from what I remember they are similar. Both are very addictive though, that is true.

15. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I haven't really got into the two but from my perspective Tera seems like a more appealing options. Perhaps it is the designs, graphics or possibly combat.

16. walter12

walter12 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I do believe that it's the most appropriate option and more appealing

17. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Indeed.

18. GlibGlob

GlibGlob New Member

Tera has far better graphics but that's about it. It's plain boring.

19. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Blunt but true. Sometimes I need people to just tell me it is boring on the front end to avoid any false hype or anything like that.

20. walter12

walter12 Well-Known Member
    Regular

You should never build too much hype around a game