Quantcast

Swords, Spears, Bows, Axes or Sticks?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by fuumarumota, Jan 30, 2016.

1. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member Regular

I would like to be like a double wielding warrior, but everytime I tried that I got massacred. I don't know why, but I simply love swords way more than all the other weaponry.

2. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I always go for swords. I also most often go for dual wielding swords. I also love two bladed swords, if the game allows it and has them available.

3. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

I'd combine a bow or something long range with a short sword or knife, in case someone sneaked in and attacked me directly.

4. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I like bows by merit of the fact that I enjoy attacking things from afar, if I had to choose a melee weapon, I think I would go with spears. Swords and Axes are just a bit cliche for me.

5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

I like the fighting style of staffs. But most games either make them just a stick that mages hold, or else they are a sub-optimal ´bashing´ weapon. It is probably because a real staff fighting style would require completely different animations, whereas many other weapons can share ´hitting ´graphics.

6. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

I'm particularly fond of swords but I'd like a shield as well much like a crusader more than a knight. Bow and arrow would be my second choice because I like long-range hunting and sniping too.

7. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I've recently gained an affinity for bow and arrows because of this MOBA I'm playing where a new character who is an archer was introduced. Although I am not very good with her I still think it looks pretty cool when done right so I'll have to go with that one as well if I had a choice.

8. vash

vash Well-Known Member Regular

It will be depended on the game and the situation.

When I first started to play Neverwinter Nights (1), I picked a Greatsword which is a two-hand weapon. Then I quickly found out I am outmatched completely against those players who uses shield. They all wield one-hand weapon, while holding a shield in the other hand. So they had higher AC (Armor Class) than me, and they owned me easily in PvP.

Then I switched to a longsword, but found out it was not doing enough damage compare to some other weapons. After that, I have tried Katana, rapier, broadsword, etc. All of which were doing better than Greatsword and longsword, but I was still on my quest to find the perfect weapon for my character. (In Neverwinter Nights you had to choose a weapon and stick to it, since your character's development require you to pick a specific weapon and to enhance the use of it). So to pick a different weapon, you have to start a new character to optimize it for the weapon.

Anyway, I finally found the use of Dwarven Waraxe was an ideal weapon. Of course I had to use a Dwarf character for it. The weapon had a base damage of 1d10 (randomly between 1 to 10 damage), but with a multiplier of up to x4 if you optimize your character skills for it. It was way better than the longsword's (1d8 x2).

However in some MMOs, I preferred bows, since in many games the bows are overpowered and can kill the enemies before they even reach you.

So what I use would be depended on the situation and the game. One thing for sure, I will not pick something that is underpowered in a game.

9. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I like all weapons, but I usually favor axes or swords. Axes are usually stronger, and I usually prefer to deal a lot of damage in a single hit than over time, so yeah.

10. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Swords are my go-to weapons in all situations except if I'm using a sorcerer. :D

11. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer swords and bows.