Stutters ruining the game!

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Lazzerus, May 18, 2013.

1. Mattee

Mattee New Member

So did the patch actually work? Haven't been able to test mine yet.

2. BWX

BWX Member

Yes it worked.

3. Lazzerus

Lazzerus Active Member

Finally!! I can play the game! :) The patch actually worked. there are still the odd stutters here and there but its way better than before. Thanks 4A! :D

4. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

Yeah, after a quick test of previously problematic areas, the stutters seem to have totally gone. I'm glad I stopped playing the game and waited for the fix

Thanks 4A! Thanks for a phenomenal game, and thanks for addressing the issues in timely fashion. I think that, along with CDProjekt, you are the most praise-worthy dev out there right now

5. Lazzerus

Lazzerus Active Member

Im also glad I only played the first 2 levels while it was stuttering. Its just so much better now like a new game. It really is a great game to well worth the wait.

6. BWX

BWX Member

I have to look into it more, but I think there are some pretty obvious graphical downgrades to the lighting.. I'm going to go through some screenshots from before and after to see if it is true or just in my head.

edit- some screens of the rail car. I remember before the patchon my first playthrough, same settings (all maxed), that there were bigger lense flares coming off of all these lights on this thing. I think I accidentally deleted my other screens from the first play through. Hopefully I can find some somewhere else, pre-patch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It still looks good, but I think before it looked a lot better.

#86 BWX, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  7. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

I'm confused. Which of those shots of the railcar are from pre-patch?

8. BWX

BWX Member

LOL, sorry, I should have labeled them. They are all post patch, I cannot find my pre-patch screenshots. I think I deleted them by mistake. :-(

I was hoping someone else could post a screen pre-patch (all maxed gfx) and compare. I know they look different.

9. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

Actually, I'm still getting stutters. I think they're PhysX related. Does anyone else get this? This is a good way to test it:

Stand next to a wall and shoot it many times (creating lots of PhysX debris). After that, the area becomes very stuttery, even long after you've finished shooting. Obviously this is problematic in areas that have big gunfights.

Other stuttering has definitely improved for me. In areas without lots of PhysX going on, it's nice and smooth.

I have 2 Titans (which I bought primarily in anticipation of Metro Last Light with 3dvision, actually....that's how much I loved the first game), so I should be able to handle this PhysX.

#89 volaniskra, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  10. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

I have played Metro LL first time after the patch from last week and to my surprise, I have encountered increased number of graphic artifacts and glitches in an hour I have played yesterday. Mind you, my previous experience with Metro LL was nearly flawless via my 2 complete play-through and some more.

Once I had a long screen freeze, 5seconds or longer, which almost seemed like a game crash. Later I have seen broken textures on small objects and lightning effects and multiple glitches with water surfaces/textures.

My rig is on the lower portion of the performance scale but I was able to run the game in surprising quality. I hope the last patch did not change internal settings in an attempt to optimize game's performance for high-end rigs but broken it for lower specs.....

11. BWX

BWX Member

I have heard these 320.18 drivers are buggy, and I have also seen glitches in this and other games since installing them, and new SLI setup.

If I bought two freaking Titans and get stutters still, I'd be pissed off. I'd say stutters are 90% cured for me with latest patch, latest drivers, and 2x GTX670 in SLI. I am running all maxed, 2x SSAA, Physx on, 1080p, texture "very high" in nvidia control panel, nvidia recommended SLI profile, Adaptive vsync.

Next time I play I will test out that scenario, but I do not think that is a problem for me.

I have seen vids on the new with triple Titans in SLI that were stuttering bad, where my system did not, and that was pre-patch though.

For instance back before I got my second GTX670, I recorded the final battle.. was running the same settings as above but no SSAA.

[YOUTUBE]nzSe-PM_4fg[/YOUTUBE]

There's a few little stutters from certain characters, but nothing severe.. That vid is pre-patch too- edit- oh, and using fraps too.. but limited to 30fps while recording, so it evens that out a little I guess.

#91 BWX, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  12. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

Every time I select "Nvidia recommended SLI profile" in the control panel, it changes to "Nvidia recommended SLI profile (custom)". Do others get that too?

13. BWX

BWX Member

Yup, same. Actually I got a big warning box saying that changing it, blah blah blah.. something blah blah..

But it looks like it just "changes" it to the exact same SLI profile. Recommended global looks the same as Nvidia recommended (custom).. I don't know, I don't get that warning box now. not sure what's up with that either.

14. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

I've done some testing, and "Advanced PhysX" definitely seems to be the culprit.

I'm testing in the area immediately after disembarking from the train in "Ashes". I hit the wall with lots of bullets/knives to create lots of debris (shooting a wall causes debris to appear whether Advanced PhysX is on or off, but the debris only remains on the floor if Advanced PhysX is on). After a while, the floor is covered with debris, and the game becomes stuttery - freezes of up to 2 seconds. (I know this is a somewhat artificial situation (me shooting the wall 100 times), but it's indicative of actual gameplay: I've had similar stuttering while playing the game in a room after a regular gunfight.)

I did tried this experiment with different configurations, to see whether SLI and/or PhysX was the culprit.

SLI ON/Advanced PhysX ON: I got stutters
    SLI ON/Advanced PhysX OFF: No stutters

SLI OFF/Advanced PhysX OFF: No stutters
    SLI OFF/Advanced PhysX ON, and dedicating my 2nd card to PhysX: It took longer for the stutters to appear, but I still got them.

So, SLI wasn't the problem, but advanced PhysX clearly is. There's clearly some sort of glitch here. I have two Titans, and games with more impressive PhysX (eg. Borlderlands 2) run fine.

I'm running on Very high settings, Tesselation High, SSAA off, 1080p, 3D-vision.

#94 volaniskra, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
  15. White

White New Member

Game is working for me since that last patch.. it's not perfect, it'll lag/stutter in a very FEW places now, but nothing like before; for the most part it's fluid.

Glad I waited for the patch before getting into it, this game is truly amazing and I hope everyone gets to experience and enjoy it. Really is a masterpiece.

No technical input sorry, just saying, ha :)

Good luck everyone

16. rowan_u

rowan_u Member

still stuttering

All settings low, physx off, re-installed windows 7 . . . still stuttering on gtx680 sli. SIGH.

17. BWX

BWX Member

No better at all after the update? it still stutters in some areas, but most of the persistent stutters and hitching is completely gone after that update for most everyone.